What's new

Cap Questions

Jazzachery

Hey guys I really don’t know much about the financials of basketball. I am just wondering why it is likely impossible to sign someone like Tobias Harris, financially speaking? If we don’t retain favors, Rubio, thabo, udoh, and we traded away jae, korver, and Allen, why wouldn’t we have money to sign Harris?

I guess I am just wondering where our money is being spent and how much we can spend? I know Conley and Gobert have large contracts but with Mitchell still on a rookie contract, why couldn’t we afford him? I guess it just doesn’t make sense to me why teams like golden state can afford Durant, curry, Klay, and green when we can’t afford to add Harris.

Any help on the matter would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

The NBA places cap restrictions on teams in small markets like the Jazz. Golden State has a higher salary cap. Its really that simple.

Hey guys I really don’t know much about the financials of basketball. I am just wondering why it is likely impossible to sign someone like Tobias Harris, financially speaking? If we don’t retain favors, Rubio, thabo, udoh, and we traded away jae, korver, and Allen, why wouldn’t we have money to sign Harris?

I guess I am just wondering where our money is being spent and how much we can spend? I know Conley and Gobert have large contracts but with Mitchell still on a rookie contract, why couldn’t we afford him? I guess it just doesn’t make sense to me why teams like golden state can afford Durant, curry, Klay, and green when we can’t afford to add Harris.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app
Simple answer is you can spend as much as you'd like to retain your own players. And the GSW got Durrant during a weird time in the salary cap in the NBA.

If you have this little understanding just trust people that do or google nba faqs click the link and read.

We don’t have enough for Harris... anyone thinking he is coming has been using substances that even @Rubashov wouldnt.

If you have this little understanding just trust people that do or google nba faqs click the link and read.

We don’t have enough for Harris... anyone thinking he is coming has been using substances that even @Rubashov wouldnt.
We could have somewhere between $28-30 million to give Harris if we renounced everybody and traded Exum and Bradley for no money in return.

If Harris demands the full max of about $32.7 million, HH is right that we can't get Harris unless we trade Joe. That ain't happening. We would have to hope Harris wants to be here badly enough to leave anywhere from $55 million (from Philly) to $15 million (max from another team) on the table.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Like @gregbroncs said you can spend as much as you'd like to keep you're own players. GSW really lucked out that they got hot at the right time and had enough salary space to afford Durant. At the time, Curry was on the biggest bargain contract (4yr/44M) and Klay was their highest paid player at ~16M per year.

Basically the basketball gods threw GSW a bone and their core hit their primes when they were on bargain/rookie extension contracts.