What's new

Cavs/Kings Trade - Should the Jazz have. . .

Today the Cavs traded JJ Hickson to the Kings for Omri Casspi and a protected lottery draft pick (top 14 in 2012, top 13 in 2013, top 12 in 2014 and top 10 in 2015-2017. Would anyone have wanted the Jazz in on that action?

One link about it (saw the protection via a Google News story earlier this afternoon) https://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6722764

hickson is an undersized PF and would have been fighting for minutes with paul, al, derrick, enes, memo and possibly jeremy.

casspi is a one-dimensional wing, similar size and body to AK or hayward, but less versatile than both of them.

so no, i'm OK.

Millsap's our closest equivalent to Hickson, so i wouldn't do Casspi + pick for Millsap. If it was Casspi, Jason Thompson, and Pick for Millsap, I might do that though.

is casspi good, i didnt watch him carefully

Good shooter, but not tremendously versatile. All in all, he's decent but we would need more than Casspi + lottery protected pick for Millsap.

He also may struggle to co-exist with Hayward IMO.

Cassipi can shoot from the perimeter. He'll be a good bench player. On the Cavs he could start. He's pretty young and Hasn't played with a good distributor yet.

Also JJ is not that good. This was a win trade for the Cavs, I'm not sure what the Kings were smoking.

Cassipi can shoot from the perimeter. He'll be a good bench player. On the Cavs he could start. He's pretty young and Hasn't played with a good distributor yet.

Also JJ is not that good. This was a win trade for the Cavs, I'm not sure what the Kings were smoking.

Great move for the Cavs.

Not so sure about the Kings... Maybe they feel that JJ can be a Millsap like player alongside a developing force inside (hopefully for them) in Cousins?

JJ Hickson has talent and occasionally puts up good numbers but he is very frustrating to coach. Scott and him butted heads a lot last year because Hickson doesn't always play hard. Cassipi has not been happy in Sactown and I think they wanted to get rid of him. Both teams getting rid of headaches and picking up role players. I would been ok with Cassipi and the pick even if it wasn't protected. Next years picks could be very big. I like what Cleveland is doing. Their rebuild is coming along nicely. Another reason they got rid of Hickson is because they drafted an PF. Perhaps Sacramento is seeing the Jazz get bigger and they need size. They have Cousins and Thompson. Dalmbert is a FA.