What's new

Cavs Looking to Get The #2 Pick As Well

If Cavs buy out Hamilton's contract, I hope he goes to the Jazz. Probably not but we can always use a veteran shooting guard who is much better than Raja Bell..

Am I understanding this correctly? The Cavs would trade for Hamilton and then buy him out to move up 2 spots in the draft. That's insane isn't it? Hamilton is owed over $25 million. Would you pay $25m for the right to draft Derrick Williams? I must be mising something.

Not a great move by the Pistons. Why pass up Biyombo, Leonard, Valanciunas or Vesely just to unload Hamilton?

How many years are left on Hamilton's contract?

Hamilton is over priced but I don't think thats the reason. I think he just doesn't want to play for the Pistons anymore and at 33 his contract isnt that attractive for a trade. He's still a good player though.

Am I understanding this correctly? The Cavs would trade for Hamilton and then buy him out to move up 2 spots in the draft. That's insane isn't it? Hamilton is owed over $25 million. Would you pay $25m for the right to draft Derrick Williams? I must be mising something.

The Cavs must think that Derrick Williams is that much more compelling than Vesely, Leonard or Biyombo. I can agree with that. Given that the Cavs want to pick Irving and expect Williams and Kanter would be gone by 4, they want to swing to rebuild their franchise.

They want to stick it too Lebron and win a championship before he does.

Detroit is not going to screw themselves in this draft to please Hamilton. I think this is the Cavs taking initiative, and it's a reach.

Why don't the Pistons just buy out Hamilton?

The buyout still counts against the cap. So Cleveland should be accepting a two year cap hit (presumably the buyout figure prorated for 2 seasons.) It may also be that whatever Rip signs for is subtracted from that number. Detroit's thinking is probably that they'd rather be players in free agency than have the 8th pick.

I doubt it. Unloading Rip for the 8th pick is a huge coup for them.

If you're the GM of a lottery team like the Pistons, I think you're better off picking up an attractive player and worrying about trading Rip later. The Pistons could get Walker, Vesely, Leonard, Biyombo, Burks or Valanciunas.

If you're the GM of a lottery team like the Pistons, I think you're better off picking up an attractive player and worrying about trading Rip later. The Pistons could get Walker, Vesely, Leonard, Biyombo, Burks or Valanciunas.

If you're the GM of a lottery team who is barely hanging on to his job, you need results. Drafting for the future is not going to save Joe D. But having flexibility to sign FA's, resign his own guys, or take on salary in trades is a much faster road to respectability.

But even if he Sloan level job security, I'd still trade the 8 to get out from under Rip's deal. The chance of a guy drafted at 8 becoming a superstar is like 30 to 1. Rudy Gay (and Chambers) are the only great players to come out of that spot. And there's a 50 percent chance the guy outright busts. So now he can spend money on guys that are proven in the league. Detroit's a mess, don't get me wrong, but it's a good move.