What's new

Cavs, Pacers, Jazz Trade Idea

LoPo

What about this:

Cavs get Favors and Burks
Pacers get Shumpert
Jazz get Frye, Al Jefferson, Cedi Osman & a future 2nd rounder

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y6v3jmtp

Cavs do it to play Favors at center which would work well in their offense. He would get plenty of time with Tristan and Love. Burks isnt that much worse that Shumpert and on a similar contract. Frye and Shumpert are role players but Favors could make an impact.

Pacers get a much needed wing defender and depth in Shumpert.

We get to dump Burks' salary because Frye and Jefferson are expirings. We could be one of a few teams with significant space in summer 2018. And the Osman kid might not be that bad.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

What big Al would do better than Favors? Frye is only good for few minutes launching some 3's he is pathetic on defense and would not fit well here. Know nothing about Osman - is he a main piece of the trade here?

I’m not sure. I think it would depend on how much the Jazz valued Cedi Osman. I don’t know much about him. Is he worth it?

What big Al would do better than Favors? Frye is only good for few minutes launching some 3's he is pathetic on defense and would not fit well here. Know nothing about Osman - is he a main piece of the trade here?
The value is in dumping Burks. There are so few teams out there with cap space in 2018. Burks' $11+ next year off the books is massive in a summer when numerous high quality PF might be available - Jabari Parker, Julius Randle, and a slew of trade options.

As for this season, I think Thabo becomes the starting PF. Frye can give us some solid minutes as a big man shooter. Jefferson is for an emergency. The Osman kid intrigues me. He is a Euro SF/SG on a bargain 3 year contract.

It's about cap space for next year. (And maybe a better draft pick of our own.)

Im sure you guys dont know much about them but i can compare Cedi with Furkan (the rookie from Sixers). Furkan has more upside, he has better shooting (which is one of his top skills) better fit to nba in sense of athleticism, but weak body and questionable mental strength.
Cedi has high bb iq, good shooting, overall decent player, he doesnt have any real weakness in his game, but he doesnt have that much upside too. Only thing that i would like to point out, is his mental strength. Kid has winner instinct. He never backs down, and keeps fighting. He fits Jazz dna. However, dont expect he will become the next Hayward in 2 years. I see him as a slightly quicker and younger Joe Ingles.

Im sure you guys dont know much about them but i can compare Cedi with Furkan (the rookie from Sixers). Furkan has more upside, he has better shooting (which is one of his top skills) better fit to nba in sense of athleticism, but weak body and questionable mental strength.
Cedi has high bb iq, good shooting, overall decent player, he doesnt have any real weakness in his game, but he doesnt have that much upside too. Only thing that i would like to point out, is his mental strength. Kid has winner instinct. He never backs down, and keeps fighting. He fits Jazz dna. However, dont expect he will become the next Hayward in 2 years. I see him as a slightly quicker and younger Joe Ingles.
Good post. Kid seems like a fighter. We need fighters.

I fail to see why anyone besides the Jazz does this.
Knew I would have to spell it out...

Cavs
- Shumpert and Frye are role players. In the postseason, Frye barely played and Shumpert was an offensive liability.
- Favors is a great fit for this team. He is relatively young and can play center for them. Love has failed there and Tristan is hurt and can't provide offense. Favors would play a key role in a playoff run for Cleveland. I hate Favors next to Gobert but he looks awesome next to Love.
- Osman is a project and Cavs must win now.
- Burks is the question mark. However, he would have space in Cleveland he never gets here. Maybe he can learn from Wade. Offensively, he is relatively equal to Shumpert.
- Financially, this deal is even. Cavs actually save a few million for next year.

Pacers
- Shumpert is a ton better than Jefferson. When it comes to playoff time, you need more wing defenders than slow *** big men who are pretty much done.
- Shumpert is only 27. If he exercises his player option, Indy isnt too upset. Players with his age, defense and skill set are good to have for depth.

In my opinion, Cavs are 50/50 and Pacers do it instantly.

Knew I would have to spell it out...

Cavs
- Shumpert and Frye are role players. In the postseason, Frye barely played and Shumpert was an offensive liability.
- Favors is a great fit for this team. He is relatively young and can play center for them. Love has failed there and Tristan is hurt and can't provide offense. Favors would play a key role in a playoff run for Cleveland. I hate Favors next to Gobert but he looks awesome next to Love.
- Osman is a project and Cavs must win now.
- Burks is the question mark. However, he would have space in Cleveland he never gets here. Maybe he can learn from Wade. Offensively, he is relatively equal to Shumpert.
- Financially, this deal is even. Cavs actually save a few million for next year.

Pacers
- Shumpert is a ton better than Jefferson. When it comes to playoff time, you need more wing defenders than slow *** big men who are pretty much done.
- Shumpert is only 27. If he exercises his player option, Indy isnt too upset. Players with his age, defense and skill set are good to have for depth.

In my opinion, Cavs are 50/50 and Pacers do it instantly.

Still not seeing it. Makes no sense for Cavs or Pacers.

This is not a "win now" trade, this is a "major player in 2018 free agency" trade.

Um correct me if I'm wrong but this adds more salary to next offseason...

Frye ($0) + Jefferson ($10 million) + Osman ($2.7 million) - Burks ($11.5 million) = adding $1.2 million

EDIT: Just saw Jefferson 2018 is partially guaranteed at $4 million. So a savings of $4.8 million? What is that going to do?

Um correct me if I'm wrong but this adds more salary to next offseason...

Frye ($0) + Jefferson ($10 million) + Osman ($2.7 million) - Burks ($11.5 million) = adding $1.2 million

EDIT: Just saw Jefferson 2018 is partially guaranteed at $4 million. So a savings of $4.8 million? What is that going to do?
I would take $4.8 and Osman over Burks all day long

Honestly, we could make the trade:

Shumpert, Osman and Frye
for
Favors and Burks

But Shumpert could pick up his 2018 option and stay....

Explain why.

I don't think Favors makes much sense for the Cavs. Yes, he could be good, but when TT gets healthy, TT is the superior option for them because he has a higher motor while getting 0 touches. I get the feeling like Favors could be really good for the Cavs, but the Cavs don't have that much spacing anymore. They play guards like D-Rose and Wade for a lot of minutes.

I think getting Burks is a huge downgrade for them.

And this trades adds 3 million to their salary, which I think is like 15 million more in LT since they are repeat offenders. Also, I don't think the Cavs are in the mode of selling a future asset like Cedi just to get the expiring contract of Derrick Favors.

For the Pacers it makes the least sense. Shumpert wouldn't be in their guard rotation. I think they'd rather hold onto Jefferson and let him expire than pay Shumpert next year.

We are not going to clear cap room to sign Parker. Even if we dump Burks we can't clear enough room without ditching most our roster. That is too big of a risk to make an offer to a RFA.

Let's move on from that idea.

We are not going to clear cap room to sign Parker. Even if we dump Burks we can't clear enough room without ditching most our roster. That is too big of a risk to make an offer to a RFA.

Let's move on from that idea.

Risking what? The 10th spot? As long as we keep Gobert and DM, there is little risk in any trade.

Risking what? The 10th spot? As long as we keep Gobert and DM, there is little risk in any trade.

It's a risk to renounce Hood/Exum, drop Thabo and Jerebko, let Favors and JJ walk and give up an asset to unload Burks to offer a RFA with 2 turn ACLs