What's new

CHAD FORD ON BOARD

OK -- I'm not in PR so I'm probably not good at fully fathoming some of this stuff.

I just don't see why there's all that much that needs to be spun in the first place. Whether you're drafted 30 or 40 you better be prepared to give it your all if you want to stay in the league. I'm not sure why the Jazz feel like they need to soothe feelings publicly like this.
Yeah, I don’t know what to say. All I can say is they’ve spun two opposite narratives.

Seems to me that most of this somewhere between irrelevant and a big who cares. There are a few things that seem apparent. The Jazz didn't like anyone enough to draft someone and give them guaranteed first round money so they traded out. That makes complete sense given the financial situation of the Jazz and the quality of players on the board. A guy the Jazz reportedly liked and would have drafted at 30 was still there at 40. Good for the Jazz and hopefully Butler works out. What they knew or didnt know seems pretty irrelevant as is the speculation that someone benefits by spinning this.

Seems to me that most of this somewhere between irrelevant and a big who cares. There are a few things that seem apparent. The Jazz didn't like anyone enough to draft someone and give them guaranteed first round money so they traded out. That makes complete sense given the financial situation of the Jazz and the quality of players on the board. A guy the Jazz reportedly liked and would have drafted at 30 was still there at 40. Good for the Jazz and hopefully Butler works out. What they knew or didnt know seems pretty irrelevant as is the speculation that someone benefits by spinning this.
That’s fine. They can make whatever decisions they want and it can be reasonable. If you think it’s silly that we’re pointing out two blatantly conflicting narratives, do you think us discussing that on a forum is more silly than them actively putting out different narratives?

And THAT'S why they're saying this, to make him feel like the Jazz didn't intentionally get him on the cheap.
Does this viewpoint imply that the Jazz knew (and manipulated the fact) that he would be available at 40?

Does this viewpoint imply that the Jazz knew (and manipulated the fact) that he would be available at 40?
I think there's part of this that could be true but specifically relating to Butler is making too many assumptions. The part that would be valid is that that they presumably felt fine with moving from who they could get at #30 (including Butler) and moving back to #40 for the financial aspects (or whatever reason for moving back) and were comfortable (enough) with what options they felt may be on board. To say that they specifically targeted Butler with #40 before they traded #30 for all the aforementioned reasons is a huge stretch. That's too specific. So it's easy to take something obviously true [i.e. we moved back because of financials {or assets or whatever reason}] and then try to link it to something we can say in hindsight [i.e. we moved back targeting Butler specifically so that we could get him at better financials than we could at 30 {and/or collect assets or whatever}].

tl;dr they didn't know Butler would be there at 40. The fact that it played out that way allows us to run with that narrative. And for all the "OMG you criticize FO" it's their prerogative to manage this how they want. There's certainly a lot of argument for what they did (or against it). It's not inherently positive or negative. But to say that they knew for certain that this would play out how it did is awfully silly. That doesn't have to be a bad thing, but people seem to think that if you question this that you must think that you hate them, you want them fired, think they're worthless, and want to kick their puppy. And that's ultimately the knee-jerk response people have when broaching the issue. This has nothing to do with anything else. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Last edited:
That’s fine. They can make whatever decisions they want and it can be reasonable. If you think it’s silly that we’re pointing out two blatantly conflicting narratives, do you think us discussing that on a forum is more silly than them actively putting out different narratives?
I have no problem with it being discussed and didn't mean to infer otherwise. People putting out different narratives always happens and most of them are just guessing. My perspective is that neither narrative matters or makes a difference but maybe that's just me.

I have no problem with it being discussed and didn't mean to infer otherwise. People putting out different narratives always happens and most of them are just guessing. My perspective is that neither narrative matters or makes a difference but maybe that's just me.
And I don’t mean to infer that it does make a difference. I’m merely commenting on Chad Ford’s statement about the FO telling him that they traded the pick well before they were on the board, and stating that I don’t buy it. I also don’t buy that Deron’s real name is Torrey Ellis but that doesn’t mean I think it matters.