What's new

Chalk one up for the "holes on the head" crowd

moevillini

the Chief Old D'oh
Contributor
yep, it's official, if you'd like, you can can wear one of these on your head in your driver's license photo

41Va5qzm2DL._SX425_.jpg

https://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/pastafarian-wins-right-to-wear-colander-in-drivers-license-photo-b99671987z1-369139071.html

dl_colander.jpg

nevadalicense.jpg

colander_license_pic.jpg

For his Wisconsin driver's license photo, Michael Schumacher says he wants to wear a pasta strainer on his head because it's part of his belief in Pastafarianism as a member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

The state's response: Just be sure to tip that colander back far enough to show your face.

It's part of a strange — but not unprecedented — legal battle that recently was won by the Madison resident, though to call it a battle may be an overstatement. After his attorney sent a letter Jan. 25 to the state Department of Transportation, the Division of Motor Vehicles responded by letter Feb. 4 to say his client's request would be accommodated.

That decision has generated quite a bit of buzz, both in Wisconsin news reports and from atheist groups. Attorney Derek Allen playfully describes it as "my most famous case."

Allen, who practices law about a half-hour south of Madison at Shannon Law Office in Evansville, said he took the case because he went to college with Schumacher's brother and had heard Schumacher was having trouble with the DMV frowning on his colander.

It's a First Amendment issue, Allen said, and similar cases in Utah, Texas and Massachusets were resolved in favor of the Pastafarians.

I wonder what an originalist like Antonin Scalia would say about this.

And it seems to be a global phenomenon, not just here in the US. Here are some international examples.

pastafarian.jpg
image.jpeg

yep, it's official, if you'd like, you can can wear one of these on your head in your driver's license photo

41Va5qzm2DL._SX425_.jpg

https://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/pastafarian-wins-right-to-wear-colander-in-drivers-license-photo-b99671987z1-369139071.html

dl_colander.jpg

nevadalicense.jpg

colander_license_pic.jpg

I wonder what an originalist like Antonin Scalia would say about this.

And it seems to be a global phenomenon, not just here in the US. Here are some international examples.

pastafarian.jpg
image.jpeg

With States this willing to be compliant with Citizen governance, what will I have left to argue about?

Maybe Hilary would do better in the polls if she started wearing a colander on her head