What's new

Cheapest way to ship a bunch of stuff for a move?

AtheistPreacher

So I'm moving from Chicago to Southern California middle of next month. I've decided that I want to ship most of my stuff to my new apartment rather than drive it all there. I've got a lot of books and DVDs, 3 laptops and some other misc electronics to transport. I'll probably take most of my clothes on the plane in my checked baggage. I plan to leave the furniture behind and just get new stuff when I get there.

What would be the cheapest? USPS? UPS? Fed-Ex? Some kind of moving company? Any advice would be appreciated...

If you end up using a moving company the best advice I can give you is get a quote. Not an estimate - an exact quote for how much they will charge you to move your stuff.

Otherwise they will most certainly rip you off.

Doesn't the USPS have those flat rate boxes? I believe you can send books and heavy objects in those for the same rate as you could send packing peanuts. I think they charge you based on the box size you choose to use. I don't know the rates, but it could be worth looking into.

I'm curious. You mention a bunch of **** that typically isn't very big. It won't fit in your car?

First, I'd look up reviews for moving companies that do cross-country moves. Then, call the ones with strong reviews and with no/few BBB complaints. Once you call them, have them come out to give you estimates and like candrew said, make sure you're given an exact quote. On a trip of that distance, there could be too many variables/curveballs they'd throw at you after the fact, so you want to have an air-tight price locked up.

If you are talking a bunch of boxes no larger than, say, a microwave or so, just go with one of the major parcel carriers (UPS, FedEx). If you are sending enough boxes to fill up a pallet they can often send them all in one shipment so they are wrapped together on a pallet, which saves on the jostling they will get as individual package. UPS and FedEx treat your boxes with anything but kid gloves, which is why you need to carefully overpack to protect your goods. So if you can get the pallet shipment together with them it helps. To do this you usually have to find an outlet for the freight division of the carrier (UPS SCS or FedEx Freight). Most often these are located at the local airport. This can be considerably cheaper if you are sending say 10-20 boxes this size.

If you are getting into stuff much larger than that or have furniture, go with the quote from a moving company.

Have fun in SoCal. Go find Viny and tell him to start posting again.

Doesn't the USPS have those flat rate boxes? I believe you can send books and heavy objects in those for the same rate as you could send packing peanuts. I think they charge you based on the box size you choose to use. I don't know the rates, but it could be worth looking into.
Yeah, they have 12" x 12" x 5-1/2" boxes for a $15 flat rate. That might actually be one of the best options.

I'm curious. You mention a bunch of **** that typically isn't very big. It won't fit in your car?
Well, yeah, except that I don't own a car. I could always rent a U-Haul and just do it that way, but that's something like a five-day trip. I'd rather take what I can in my two 50-pound checked bags and ship the rest.

Priority Mail will generally get your stuff there in 2-3 days.

If you go with Parcel Post, which is significantly cheaper and accepts larger boxes, it can take weeks to arrive.

If you have smallish items, I'd just pay the priority mail flat rate stuff. There should be 3 different sizes of boxes at the post office or postal store near you. You can schedule a pickup via their website on usps.com

Or, what I'd do, is bring them all down to the post office. Just to make sure that everything is correct...

I don't have much experience with Fedex, but they're typically more expensive from what I've used...

UPS isn't bad.. I doubt they'll be able to compete very well with the flat rate stuff. Flat rate is a good deal (if you can fit your stuff in those boxes).

ya, for books, dvd's, and files and stuff... use Media Mail through USPS... it's essentially 5-10 bucks to ship big *** boxes.

ya, for books, dvd's, and files and stuff... use Media Mail through USPS... it's essentially 5-10 bucks to ship big *** boxes.

Good post.

Of course, Media Mail might take longer to get there... They'll estimate between 2-9 days. But it can take up to 14 business days.

If you can fit your stuff in Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes, I'd just do that. Priority is 2-3 days and max 5 business days.

Media Mail isn't bad, especially if you're shipping a ton of cds or books. Just be aware of the potential delay. (also, check for insurance prices. I don't remember if Media Mail is elgible for insurance... Priority Mail should...)

Good post.

Of course, Media Mail might take longer to get there... They'll estimate between 2-9 days. But it can take up to 14 business days.

If you can fit your stuff in Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes, I'd just do that. Priority is 2-3 days and max 5 business days.

Media Mail isn't bad, especially if you're shipping a ton of cds or books. Just be aware of the potential delay. (also, check for insurance prices. I don't remember if Media Mail is elgible for insurance... Priority Mail should...)
Right now it's the 26th, and the stuff simply needs to be there by the 18th of next month. So I think I've left enough time to send it safely by media mail.

God do I hate moving... such a pain in the neck...

It's been a few years since I had to do anything like this, so keep in mind that my information is probably somewhat outdated but might be worth looking into.

When I was in college and law school I frequently had to ship a number of boxes containing my books, clothes, CDs, DVDs, etc etc from my dorm rooms or school-year apartments back to Phoenix for the summer and then do the reverse in August/September. The last time I did this was May of 2008 after graduation from law school. Consistently during that entire period of time, FedEx Ground had the best pricing. I could frequently get 4-5 sizable boxes out and across the country for just over $100.