What's new

Chess Match Thread

babe

OK, Log had this idea.

When I was in high school, I started the Chess Club. I also wrote a constitution for that club modeled on the US Constitution, designed to absolutely thwart anyone from actually controlling the "club". We had the high school science teacher as the faculty adviser, and he turned out to be a real live wire. We did more activities, parties, and fun stuff than any other club, and we got to be the biggest club.

Anybody who could beat me in chess became the reigning, if powerless, "President", and I would sit in the high school rec center with six chess boards during lunch hour. It was first come, first served, and I'd play anyone. I'd do more than six games if someone brought their own boards.

So I decided way back then that the purpose of chess was to have fun, and I did not take one minute to make my move. The games moved fast, and ended in the lunch hour. I got beat once by a shy little red head girl with funny glasses. She copied my moves, and I made a mistake, and she seized the advantage, taking my queen. The game did not end in twenty minutes, and though she had never played chess, she did win. The rest of that year I took her to all the school formal dances, and got really stupid. I think I mistook awe for love.

Choose your color. White moves first.

PS. . . . .

I am the "babe" in my momma's family of eleven, eight boys. When I was five I started playing my older brothers. The ones that were still living at home were not quite as interested in chess as I was, and I remember playing the older ones when they came home for the holidays from their college or graduate school studies. I got beat a lot, early on. They eventually became less interested in playing me, as well. I still have one brother who will play me, but he won't let me go home until he wins, so eventually he wins. . . . he's the lawyer in the family. There's also a nuclear physicist Ph.D., and electrochemist, physics, chemistry, and biochemist Ph.D. in the line up. . . . The MBA/chemical engineer who is an executive in a MIC corporation is just too busy with his honey-doos.

I have never had anyone try to let me win. No need. Not even when I was five. It was a matter of fact nobody would just "let me win", and I'm good with that.

This manner of playing chess might not measure up to the infinitely programmed chess methods, but you're welcome to resort to them, and use them to test your moves. . . . I'll do the same, if I get the idea that's what you're doing. . . .

Last edited:
used to play chess, until one day a girl offered me strip chess :D

that was awesome!

so only chess i now play is strip chess. cus after that regular chess got boring.

so i'll pass sorry babe

used to play chess, until one day a girl offered me strip chess :D

that was awesome!

so only chess i now play is strip chess. cus after that regular chess got boring.

so i'll pass sorry babe

strip chess would be boring to me, and you. And if it were a pretty woman on the other side of the table, honestly, I wouldn't need to "see" anything. I have found that imagination is more interesting than nudity.

strip chess would be boring to me, and you. And if it were a pretty woman on the other side of the table, honestly, I wouldn't need to "see" anything. I have found that imagination is more interesting than nudity.

unless strip chess ends in something more fun than imagination :D

e4

My usual opening.

So I'd call that "King's pawn two to King four", the most common opening, and from a computer's point of view, the best.

I'm gonna try something unusual, maybe even "weak" from the absolute logic computer sort of view. . . .

Queen's pawn (I'm black) two to Queen Three.

So I'd call that "King's pawn two to King four", the most common opening, and from a computer's point of view, the best.

I'm gonna try something unusual, maybe even "weak" from the absolute logic computer sort of view. . . .

Queen's pawn (I'm black) two to Queen Three.

Don't worry sir, not gonna use computer. Even better, I'm gonna directly say my chess strength so you can know what to expect from me. I have only about 1650 elo rating and that was years years ago(HS). Never played chess since then. Maybe only looked at some find the mate puzzles on the newspapers from time to time.

From what I understand from your posts however, you are a quite strong player, your rating must be something like 2100+. Maybe up to 2300 or even 2400. (for people who don't know about chess much; 2300+ ratings are pro competing ratings)

1. e4, d6
2. d4,

Your turn.

Don't worry sir, not gonna use computer. Even better, I'm gonna directly say my chess strength so you can know what to expect from me. I have only about 1650 elo rating and that was years years ago(HS). Never played chess since then. Maybe only looked at some find the mate puzzles on the newspapers from time to time.

From what I understand from your posts however, you are a quite strong player, your rating must be something like 2100+. Maybe up to 2300 or even 2400. (for people who don't know about chess much; 2300+ ratings are pro competing ratings)

1. e4, d6
2. d4,

Your turn.

I don't even know my chess strength or what "elo" is, and it's been some years since I played a human, except my daughters. Even my brother has been unavailable for chess matches since he's depressed about his health and does nothing but watch TV sports and work at home with animals he keeps. . . .never "professional" because, hey, I can find other stuff to do any time. I did wander the Philippines pretending to be a missionary playing chess with whoever had a board and chair open. Can you believe, a culture where unemployed men will go out on the sidewalk and set up a chess board?

Maybe I brag.

I think you play street chess.

looking at your method of describing moves, I see you reduce the statement to a non-redundant unequivocal notation. I think I can see that "shorthand".

1. e4, d6
2. d4, e6

I'd call that queen pawn to queen three. I have now taken a defensive position, allowing you the offensive control. The centermost twelve sqaures of the chess board are the game, usually. Control of the center is what it's all about. I've never seen a computer take my first two moves in response to your first two.

This is so exciting

I don't even know my chess strength or what "elo" is, and it's been some years since I played a human, except my daughters. Even my brother has been unavailable for chess matches since he's depressed about his health and does nothing but watch TV sports and work at home with animals he keeps. . . .never "professional" because, hey, I can find other stuff to do any time. I did wander the Philippines pretending to be a missionary playing chess with whoever had a board and chair open. Can you believe, a culture where unemployed men will go out on the sidewalk and set up a chess board?

Maybe I brag.

looking at your method of describing moves, I see you reduce the statement to a non-redundant unequivocal notation. I think I can see that "shorthand".

1. e4, d6
2. d4, e6

I'd call that queen pawn to queen three. I have now taken a defensive position, allowing you the offensive control. The centermost twelve sqaures of the chess board are the game, usually. Control of the center is what it's all about. I've never seen a computer take my first two moves in response to your first two.

how did you both manage to get your pawns on the same row with your opening moves?

Shouldn't that be:

1. e4,
2. d6,

Also I'm pretty sure enes can't move to d6 on his second move. Pretty sure he can only move his pawn to d3 or d4.

1. e4, d3 or d4
2. d6, e6

Maybe I brag.

1. e4, d6
2. d4, e6

Elo, just a comparative rating system that a man named Elo invented. It can be used in any type of competition that include matches, "someone vs someone". Obviously, in any type of competitions, there are some someones that are better and stronger than some other someones. Elo system takes this level difference into account and that makes it a wonderful and very accurate rating system in the long run.

The difference in the ratings between two players serves as a predictor of the outcome of a match. Two players with equal ratings who play against each other are expected to score an equal number of wins. A player whose rating is 100 points greater than their opponent's is expected to score 64%; if the difference is 200 points, then the expected score for the stronger player is 76%.

For what it's worth, Kasparovs and Fishers of the chess world are always above 2700 elo rating. And the latest chess engines with decent computers will often beat them so they are rated 2800+.

That's a great culture meanwhile, that the Philippines have, if it's the way you describe. In my country, our president throws chess sets onto the heads of senseless crowds, to make chess a part of the culture. Well, that's probably not a sincere deed anyway, since most of them believe that the games like chess are forbidden in their crusted beliefs.

1. e4, d6
2. d4, e6
3. Nc3,

My way of describing the moves is one of the most used standard chess notations today. It's eloquent, simple and effective.

Yet, it's not nearly as authentic and pure as yours. Maybe I should just try. "Because of the absolute truth in your disclosure about the centermost squares, I raise my proud Knight that resides on the Quin* side to support my brave infantry on the center.

Last edited:
how did you both manage to get your pawns on the same row with your opening moves?

Shouldn't that be:

1. e4,
2. d6,

Also I'm pretty sure enes can't move to d6 on his second move. Pretty sure he can only move his pawn to d3 or d4.

1. e4, d3 or d4
2. d6, e6

First moves; me e4, babe d6

Second moves; me d4, babe e6

Third moves; me Nc3, babe ?

Isn't that OK?

Last edited:
Ok so I am back in the saddle again. Sorry I didn't get this started babe, traveling is no fun. So are you wanting to conduct multiple games at once, or do you want to finish one then start the next?

derp derp derp

thanks for clearing that up for me. Now I can follow your game.

Here is babes and ECTs initial diagram.

bview.php

Here is the website to generate the diagram.

https://www.chessvideos.tv/genboard.php

Reactions: ema