Chiropractor...

Are they worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

Beantown

Ive always been anti-chiroptactor but as I get older I feel more pains in my back, shoulders and neck after playing basketball and working out. Not to mention just stress at work. So whats eveyone's opinions on seeing a chiropractor? I don't want to add more issue and and having to see one weekly.

Any thoughts?

Looks like the poll is split right down the middle. What'd you decide?

I have had lots of things done to my spine over the years, including a 3 vertebrae fusion and I have permanently 8 titanium plates and 24 screws holding my neck and upper back together. I am in more or less constant pain of varying levels, usually about a 3-4 on a scale of 1 = no pain and 10 = unbearable please God kill me pain. I am very very wary of what I allow to be done to my spine. I would never go to a chiropractor mainly just because there is no way they can know what "normal" is for my spine, and so if they try to realign it will they do more harm than good.

That said, when I was on my mission I threw my back out hard when I helped someone move. I was bed-ridden for 3 days in extreme pain with the slightest movement. My mission prez came and took me to a chiropractor, who had me do some kind of modified sit up then crinkled my back just so and it popped like breaking kindling about 8 times. 3 hours later zero pain.

A lot of people swear by them, but I am kind of on the fence. As I said, I will never go to one again, but my situation is rather unique.

Still debating. I wonder if I can just get massage therapy done through my insurance.

My belief is, unless it is urgent or full-on emergency/life-threatening, go least-invasive first. Massage therapy would be completely non-invasive and if it has the potential to alleviate the issue then go with that first. Move your way up to the more serious stuff, but start as easy on your body as you can.

Mine was of necessity very invasive to start out with, and now as I am getting older I can really feel it. Due to nerve damage from my surgeries I have about 50% strength in my left arm and that is fading. Every now and then my left grip just gives out. Recently we moved and while moving a desk I have moved a ton of times before I just dropped it. My left hand just simply gave out. It fell on my foot of course, but the real concern was my left hand. My doctors told me there might come a day when I lose use of it completely, so incidents like that scare the **** out of me, especially considering I am left-handed.

So I think going the massage therapy route is a good idea to start out with. Get it fixed doing the least possible to your body. Don't accelerate that aging process any more than you absolutely have to. And good luck, I know what a bummer back issues are, and I feel for ya man.

My belief is, unless it is urgent or full-on emergency/life-threatening, go least-invasive first. Massage therapy would be completely non-invasive and if it has the potential to alleviate the issue then go with that first. Move your way up to the more serious stuff, but start as easy on your body as you can.

Mine was of necessity very invasive to start out with, and now as I am getting older I can really feel it. Due to nerve damage from my surgeries I have about 50% strength in my left arm and that is fading. Every now and then my left grip just gives out. Recently we moved and while moving a desk I have moved a ton of times before I just dropped it. My left hand just simply gave out. It fell on my foot of course, but the real concern was my left hand. My doctors told me there might come a day when I lose use of it completely, so incidents like that scare the **** out of me, especially considering I am left-handed.

So I think going the massage therapy route is a good idea to start out with. Get it fixed doing the least possible to your body. Don't accelerate that aging process any more than you absolutely have to. And good luck, I know what a bummer back issues are, and I feel for ya man.

I think I will follow this plan. Thanks for the advise.

How ironic. I visited a chiropractor for the first time this morning. My lower back has been hurting like a mother trucker for about three months and I finally went to my regular doctor, who gave me some tests, and then prescribed 8 weeks of physical therapy. I read that I could use a chiropractor instead, and since my friend just opened his office in Kaysville, I thought I'd give him a call. It was a very good visit, to be honest, and I learned quite a bit. The best part, the first exam is always free. If you get a wild hair, I can give you his info and pass along that I referred you. (even though you are a twit) A free exam and explanation of what he does and how he does it, along with a bunch of tests to find out what's wrong is worth the drive.

Just my two pennies.

How ironic. I visited a chiropractor for the first time this morning. My lower back has been hurting like a mother trucker for about three months and I finally went to my regular doctor, who gave me some tests, and then prescribed 8 weeks of physical therapy. I read that I could use a chiropractor instead, and since my friend just opened his office in Kaysville, I thought I'd give him a call. It was a very good visit, to be honest, and I learned quite a bit. The best part, the first exam is always free. If you get a wild hair, I can give you his info and pass along that I referred you. (even though you are a twit) A free exam and explanation of what he does and how he does it, along with a bunch of tests to find out what's wrong is worth the drive.

Just my two pennies.

Does your Chiropractor friend do house visits in Teh Bay Area?

It depends. If he/she is good than it is absolutely worth it. Mine is doing wonders for muscle injuries.

Still debating. I wonder if I can just get massage therapy done through my insurance.

Most insurance companies will cover them. Massage therapy and chiropractics go hand in hand. Go hunt down a Structura Body Therapies clinic. Structural integration is one of the best types of massage for chronic pain.

It may sound weird but the best thing I ever did for my chronic back pain was acupuncture. They were having a very hard time controlling my pain before my last surgery in 2004 to fix what was done in previous surgeries, so I got in to see an acupuncturist. After 3 visits I had cut my pain meds in half. After the surgery I went to see the guy weekly for maybe a year and from severe pain requiring percocet and oxycontin to control I was down to using ibuprofen, at pain levels I have been at ever since, which are not any fun, but manageable.

I would never go to a chiro, personally.

Bean, do you stretch before and after exercise? If not, that might be your problem.

Just my two pennies.

Yea I don't think my insurance will cover that 12 hour drive from Teh Bay Area.

But good info nonetheless....besides the twit remark of course.

I would never go to a chiro, personally.

May I ask why?
Just want to share my experience - I had history of severe hamstring injuries since 18 years of age.... been through numerous treatments including local anesthetic blocks, magnets, physio, ultrasound, laser, etc.... but nothing worked faster then active release therapy done by my chiropractor , instead of usual 4-5 weeks if took me 2-3 weeks to get back on the soccer or basketball field. Same happened after groin injury and just recently I strained my calf first time in my life, very weird and painful injury must admit. Went to my chiropractor, had three treatments done and will be back playing next week ( 3 weeks after initial grade 2 strain).
So again to sum - chiropractor may not be for every ailment, but for my injuries ( all sports related) it worked better then any other treatment I tried.

My wife swears by them and if she could she would get adjusted monthly. I had it once and it felt fine and all that but I could take it or leave it.

I could probably do a better job of that.

The older you get the tighter your muscles and ligaments get. They need to be warmed up if you're going to partake in any sort of physical activity. A good burn should be felt while stretching. And if you're like me who sits all day during work, there are some office specific stretches that also help.

53BlCoB.jpg