What's new

Clarkson’s championship value

Bodhi

Contributor
As the season goes on I’m getting more convinced keeping Clarkson past this season is imperative in our pursuit of a championship.

In the past few seasons we know in the back of our minds we didn’t have enough firepower. It was Haywood or more recently Donovan who were really the only guy who was a threat to go off consistently. Sure a Joe Johnson was a threat here and there, Joe can go off or even a Rubio, but those are really flare ups (playoffs specific).

The way Clarkson can score in huge bunches and at all levels is something we haven’t had and will pay dividends going forward. Bojan is also another I’m now counting as dudes (Donovan, Bojan, Clarkson) that simply have to be guarded come playoff time.

Then you also have Rudy’s gravity and the same likelihood as Rubio that Conley can go off in the payoffs. Soo many threats now.

The overall point of the thread isn’t this season though. I still think we are a bit away from being a top tier contender. I think next season is the best setup window and why I think keeping Clarkson long term is so important.

An off-season of Conley, plus another addition through the MLE, while keeping Clarkson with the rest of the core REALLY sets us up as a threat. A full season together with the addition of another piece through MLE is really exciting to think about.

If Jordan isn’t apart of that next season I think we are roughly treading water to this season (not a bad place to be but still “a piece away” imo).

That’s all.

Clarkson seems to know who he is as a player and be comfortable and thrive with his role coming off the bench. I think this is a perfect fit for him.
Id be pretty shocked. Clarkson is probably a guy who wants to start. He's probably looking at this as an opportunity to prove he can put up points on a winner so he can get paid and start. And basically, if he is performing in this same role come playoff time and putting up the same numbers and the Jazz get past the 2nd round, I doubt the Jazz will be able to afford him.

Id be pretty shocked. Clarkson is probably a guy who wants to start. He's probably looking at this as an opportunity to prove he can put up points on a winner so he can get paid and start. And basically, if he is performing in this same role come playoff time and putting up the same numbers and the Jazz get past the 2nd round, I doubt the Jazz will be able to afford him.

you think in that scenario he’s getting $20m +?

I agree Clarkson is a must keep, even over Royce which is now a moot point. I think he'll be happy in a reserve role similar to LouWil on a great team if it's a great fit which it seems to be. His ability to score and create is irreplaceable, plus being off the bench seems to not quite have the pressure and the role is more defined. In addition, he's pretty good at staying in front of his man, and works his butt off trying to do so.

I agree Clarkson is a must keep, even over Royce which is now a moot point. I think he'll be happy in a reserve role similar to LouWil on a great team if it's a great fit which it seems to be. His ability to score and create is irreplaceable, plus being off the bench seems to not quite have the pressure and the role is more defined. In addition, he's pretty good at staying in front of his man, and works his butt off trying to do so.
You have to think most players want the most money, the most minutes and prefer to start. Unless they explicitly say otherwise, that has to be your assumption.

I take Clarkson as a guy who would take a slight discount to play somewhere that's competitive for a long time. He probably wants to settle down and find a home. hopefully it's with us long term

You could make an argument that he wants to get paid, and it’s true. You could make an argument that he wants to start and finish, and it’s true. But there are a few other variables in the equation.

First, I don’t know that anyone else’s offer would be drastically higher than ours would be. If it is, it’s coming from a desperate team. He’s been making about $12M a year in the previous 3 years, and making about $13.5M now, so it’s not like he’s a guy who has yet to get paid. Now you look and see this is his sixth year in the league and previously had spent less than half a year on a playoff team. He’s been the guy putting up big numbers on lottery teams before. There’s no glory in that. So I don’t think we’re losing him to a bottom feeder willing to open up the checkbook for $18M or so. Then you’d have to look at what other playoff teams are willing to offer him a starting role and enough money. I haven’t honestly surveyed that but I’d imagine there aren’t a ton (that are offering a genuine starting spot).

I think it boils down to whether he feels comfortable here and whether he buys in to a 6th man role. If he’s averaging as many points and touches as a sixth man as he got on a crappy team as a starter, then there’s a lot more glory in his current position as he can be a guy winning sixth man of the year and building that resume. Starting on a lottery team won’t bring any recognition. You sell him on getting the Lou Williams status. The only difference is he won’t be closing as much as Lou.

Anyway, outside of a desperate lottery team, I think the money will likely be in a constricted range between the different offers. I think somewhere between $12-15/yr. The question is if we can provide the best environment. I think there’s some positive evidence for that.

If you could extend him, then great.

I believe he's genuinely happy and excited to be in Utah. He has spent his career playing for the tanking teams and terrible coaches after all.
Will he accept a better offer from another club? Sure, who doesn't? But he may decline a slightly better offer and decide to stay.
He must know at this point he probably can't be a starter in this league with the way he defends and rebounds (last in DEFRTG and REB% in 12 games for Utah). But he can be a remarkable 6th man on a contender.

Perhaps but on what winner would he start?

Nope. That doesent seem to be a factor for most players. The formula is to get most money and then demand a trade if you become unhappy.
Your assumption gets pretty general if you don’t include ANYTHING about winning. While I agree it isn’t as high of a priority for some as for others, I think it is a significant factor for a significant number of players. Winning needs to be in the mix.

Your assumption gets pretty general if you don’t include ANYTHING about winning. While I agree it isn’t as high of a priority for some as for others, I think it is a significant factor for a significant number of players. Winning needs to be in the mix.
Winning is a bigger part of the variable because the difference in salary probably tops out at about 15-20%, if that. It’s not like he’ll be choosing $8M in a good situation vs. $19M elsewhere. It’s more like $12 good situation vs. $14 somewhere else (not saying those exact numbers, just stating a point).