What's new

Clarkson in a slump?

Clarkson had this same type of start to the season 2 years ago. He'll eventually get back on track, it's almost guaranteed.

Doesn't mean it hurts any less in the present tense. He can absolutely shoot you out of games.
Dude its time to smell the coffee. Its not a shooting slump. Its the situations he puts himself into. When have you seen Clarkson play without any advantage or purpose off the dribble?

He doesnt go for quick floaters like ever. He doesnt kick out or even dribble back out which he used to do. He just dribbles inside and around the paint until he is completely trapped.

He wasn't asked to play make nearly as much two years ago, so not surprised that his turnovers were lower. I'll concede that I could be remembering it wrong though.

At times last year he looked like a bonafide play maker. He's really regressed this year somehow.
He had his moments early last year playing within the offense and moving the ball better than he ever has in his career, but that fell off after awhile and he was back to himself. Clarkson has always been a streaky guy that is all about scoring. He shouldnt be asked to do more than that. He is a 20-25 min a game 6th man, that you can ride more when hot. Put him in his correct role again and see if he can get going. Mostly for the sake of trade value, but for the sake of this team in general.

I hope he proves me wrong and suddenly starts playing great. I am doubtful now though.

He has gone through the "losing all his team mates/friends" phase last season. Then he was shopped hard and benched to sit down and watch us lose to get minorl improvement for the draft pick. He seems like an emotional dude. He might be feeling some kind of other weight in his shoulder who knows. But he is not mentally in the games. I know this is business but JC seems like some dude going still thru the mourning period.

Dude its time to smell the coffee. Its not a shooting slump. Its the situations he puts himself into. When have you seen Clarkson play without any advantage or purpose off the dribble?

He doesnt go for quick floaters like ever. He doesnt kick out or even dribble back out which he used to do. He just dribbles inside and around the paint until he is completely trapped.

The reasons for his struggles might be different, but I absolutely expect him to figure it out and play well for large portions of this season.

He had his moments early last year playing within the offense and moving the ball better than he ever has in his career, but that fell off after awhile and he was back to himself. Clarkson has always been a streaky guy that is all about scoring. He shouldnt be asked to do more than that. He is a 20-25 min a game 6th man, that you can ride more when hot. Put him in his correct role again and see if he can get going. Mostly for the sake of trade value, but for the sake of this team in general.

I hope he proves me wrong and suddenly starts playing great. I am doubtful now though.
FWIW, I'm not against having him come off the bench again. I do expect him to figure things out though at some point though, regardless.

He has gone through the "losing all his team mates/friends" phase last season. Then he was shopped hard and benched to sit down and watch us lose to get minorl improvement for the draft pick. He seems like an emotional dude. He might be feeling some kind of other weight in his shoulder who knows. But he is not mentally in the games. I know this is business but JC seems like some dude going still thru the mourning period.
I think exactly the same. Even it's a business, JC was great along with Mike, Rudy and others.... when all your friend go, you have to deal with it. I think he do hope getting traded by the deadline to a good team where he can be a useful 6th men.

The reasons for his struggles might be different, but I absolutely expect him to figure it out and play well for large portions of this season.
Thats fair. And if you have been paying attion my gripe is not him playing. Its just his team high minutes at the guard spot being pretty much guaranteed no matter how he plays.

If Clarkson played just average we have at least 2 more wins right now and people feel a little different about this team. It also helps define roles better and other guards might not be forcing things as much as well.

I have soured alot on Clarkson. I keep telling myself it is because of the world cup. He is just tired.

Maybe he just needs a few weeks off with a mysterious illness.

Except the inseason tournament is starting.

i think it was his mindset, he was the sole focus on the Phillipines team to jack up as many shots as he could He needs to calm the **** down

I think people forget he didn't look that good without Conley last year.
This. I think he is ok if he is a pure scorer on the 2 or the 6th man. Has never proven to be more than that.

He cant initiate the offense, and is more or less a sieve on defense.

Clarkson had this same type of start to the season 2 years ago. He'll eventually get back on track, it's almost guaranteed.

Doesn't mean it hurts any less in the present tense. He can absolutely shoot you out of games.

Its not as bad to play this bad in a less minutes and off the bench imo. Also, 2 years ago he was 2 years younger.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

It’s absolutely a slump… it’s also the worst it’s ever been. He looks so miserable out there.
What is he miserable about? The Jazz outbid themselves and gave him a juicy extension that looks terrible now, even with the way it's constructed. He had no market then and he REALLY doesn't have a market now.

I guess nobody likes to play like crap. But nobody is also forcing Clarkson to go out there and act like a spastic rookie even though he's on the wrong side of 30. If he knows he's in a slump, he should get back to the basics: defend as hard as he can, try to facilitate, move the ball.

Instead, he keeps going on his kamikaze runs and throwing the ball away.

One thing that has been weird watching him play. we all know he is a reluctant passer yet it seems like often time when he does make a pass he actually had a good shot and passed to a teammate with a worse chance to score. Like finally he will pass and im yelling at him to shoot lol.

What is he miserable about? The Jazz outbid themselves and gave him a juicy extension that looks terrible now, even with the way it's constructed. He had no market then and he REALLY doesn't have a market now.

I guess nobody likes to play like crap. But nobody is also forcing Clarkson to go out there and act like a spastic rookie even though he's on the wrong side of 30. If he knows he's in a slump, he should get back to the basics: defend as hard as he can, try to facilitate, move the ball.

Instead, he keeps going on his kamikaze runs and throwing the ball away.
He’s miserable cuz he’s playing like ****. The money is the money but they still want to play well. He’s rushing his open looks and missing them… he’s struggling with his handle… he’s in a slump but it’s exaggerated cuz there’s not a lot of space or playmaking around him to get the easy stuff. When the easy stuff comes he’s missing.

It’s something that snowballs… it will get better (almost has to) and he’s a guy that will have some trade value at some point during the season. It’s likely time to move on from 2 of THT/JC/Sexton and at this point I really don’t care who we pick.

He’s miserable cuz he’s playing like ****. The money is the money but they still want to play well. He’s rushing his open looks and missing them… he’s struggling with his handle… he’s in a slump but it’s exaggerated cuz there’s not a lot of space or playmaking around him to get the easy stuff. When the easy stuff comes he’s missing.

It’s something that snowballs… it will get better (almost has to) and he’s a guy that will have some trade value at some point during the season. It’s likely time to move on from 2 of THT/JC/Sexton and at this point I really don’t care who we pick.
He and his mates could try this thing called defense and then run, run, run after misses and turnovers.