What's new

Coldplay New Album Preview

"You know how I know you're gay? You listen to coldplay."
40yearold1fm5.jpg

Dan, you are a good guy. I like you a lot. I usually like what you have to say. This time, not so much.

5 bands that give me severe intestinal cramps:

1. Coldplay
2. Matchbox 20
3. Train
4. Maroon 5
5. Nickelback

That is all.

Dan, you are a good guy. I like you a lot. I usually like what you have to say. This time, not so much.

5 bands that give me severe intestinal cramps:

1. Coldplay
2. Matchbox 20
3. Train
4. Maroon 5
5. Nickelback

That is all.

I've never understood the hatred for Nickleback. They are not my favorite band by any means but I don't rush to change the station when their songs come on either. You are not the first person I've heard say that they despise the group however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnvB4Rl8O_E&feature=related

The only Nickelback song I've ever been able to stomach was "Rockstar". As for Coldplay, I liked "Yellow" and "Clocks", so I guess Coldplay > Nickelback for me.

I've never understood the hatred for Nickleback. They are not my favorite band by any means but I don't rush to change the station when their songs come on either. You are not the first person I've heard say that they despise the group however.

My wife likes Nickelback. I just never have. I know it's fashionable to hate them, but I've disliked their music for as long as I have known about them. I believe it stems from 2 things:

1. There was a DJ on KBER several years back named Helen Powers - you probably remember her, Marcus - I really, really didn't like her radio persona, and she was a huge Nickelback fan. She undoubtedly tainted my opinion of the band. That's a lame reason to dislike a band, but in addition...

2. To me, they sound like souped up country music. If they had been originally marketed as a country band, nobody would have questioned it, based on the music, IMO. In general, I don't like much country, especially stuff 90s and newer.

But I don't hate them to seem cool.

Just when music was evolving and new bands were opening people's eyes to a new direction for Rock music, Nickelback had to come along and pretend that it was 1994 again. Stop trying to sound like Nirvana already.

Same thing that "Two and a Half Men" did to sitcoms.

Just when music was evolving and new bands were opening people's eyes to a new direction for Rock music, Nickelback had to come along and pretend that it was 1994 again. Stop trying to sound like Nirvana already.

Same thing that "Two and a Half Men" did to sitcoms.

I'm waiting for a band that brings back 1984.

Hasn't rock always been evolving? It's not like it had just started at that point.

Sure it's always changing, but there are certainly periods of rapid change and periods of stagnation.

The Beatles laid a blueprint for guitar driven rock music.

The Sex Pistols invented Punk.

Nirvana killed hair bands.

"You know how I know you're gay? You listen to coldplay."
40yearold1fm5.jpg

Dude. Seth Rogen has never played in a heroic movie. OK? I know because I understand what heroic literature is. Ohh Kay? I'm so smart, OK? He says gay, but he is not heroic. Got it?

The only Nickelback song I've ever been able to stomach was "Rockstar". As for Coldplay, I liked "Yellow" and "Clocks", so I guess Coldplay > Nickelback for me.

Boo. Boo this man. Burn it to the Grounds is pretty much my theme song.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, going back to Helen Powers and KBER, I first heard both Nickelback and Linkin Park on KBER's Bear Pit days, or whatever they called it. Linkin Park's One Step Closer lost to an old Metallica song, which was normal for the time. What a shame, as manifested in Linkin Park's mainstream blow-up 4 to 5 months later. Metallica, bros!

Nickelback was the other story. They lost as well. I don't recall the song, but it was either Breathe or Leader of Men. I was impressed and purchased the album. I liked it enough to play it for everyone, who pretty much had never heard of Nickelback. Please forgive me father for I have sinned.

Last edited: