What's new

Computer guys...

Marty McFly

Got home from work today and my comp. would not boot. When I hit the power button, the "phase led" on my motherboard flashes green/red and clicks constantly and the fan kicks on but it never really gets going. I'm guessing it's either my power supply or my mobo. Any ideas? Never had this happen before.

Sent from my soon-to-be irrelevant Netbook, using Firefox.

Put tap-a-talk on a FAT32 formatted floppy disk or USB thumb drive and just click Go.

Got home from work today and my comp. would not boot. When I hit the power button, the "phase led" on my motherboard flashes green/red and clicks constantly and the fan kicks on but it never really gets going. I'm guessing it's either my power supply or my mobo. Any ideas? Never had this happen before.

Look up your MB and see if you can find out what the LED flashing means. It's some sort of error code.

This happened to my dad once. His computer was on and a switch on the circuit breaker flipped due to some home repairs. The computer wouldn't boot after that but he talked to someone at Best Buy (for reals) and whatever the dude told him worked because he fixed it himself. I think you have to unscrew the tower and do something inside. I really don't remember.

Well, there's your problem!

Seriously though, Gameface nailed it. Check out what the error code is.. could be a bunch of different things. You can type your motherboard's model number into google and a short description of what LED is flashing and you should get results. Model number is usually somewhere near the USB/VGA/Whatever port panel on the back.

As a side note, your computer has to run what's called a POST check to assure all essential hardware is working before it will start hitting any of your drives. Any beeping or anything along with it could give you more information.

Another thing to consider is, was thre anything done shortly before your problem started? New hardware installed? Using compressed air to blow the dust off? Updating software. drivers, firmware?

I would open the case and make sure all conections to the motherboard are secure. Press the memory sticks down to see if they are firmly seated. Makes sure all the cards (video card, network card, etc.) are seated well. If it is very dusty buy some compressed air and blow it all off. A lot of dust build up can cause overheating which can cause several problems. It can also cause your fans to wear out quickly. Many motherboards monitor fan speed. If the fan is not getting up to speed it can stop the boot up. If you can enter your BIOS check to see if you can disable any setting that checks or stops due to fan speed or CPU temp (but be aware you can damage your CPU by doing this, although in my experience it'll just cause the computer to turn off and not cause any damage).

Another thing to consider is, was thre anything done shortly before your problem started? New hardware installed? Using compressed air to blow the dust off? Updating software. drivers, firmware?

I would open the case and make sure all conections to the motherboard are secure. Press the memory sticks down to see if they are firmly seated. Makes sure all the cards (video card, network card, etc.) are seated well. If it is very dusty buy some compressed air and blow it all off. A lot of dust build up can cause overheating which can cause several problems. It can also cause your fans to wear out quickly. Many motherboards monitor fan speed. If the fan is not getting up to speed it can stop the boot up. If you can enter your BIOS check to see if you can disable any setting that checks or stops due to fan speed or CPU temp (but be aware you can damage your CPU by doing this, although in my experience it'll just cause the computer to turn off and not cause any damage).

GF has this covered. Go man go!

Thanks guys. Updates: I reseated the memory and video card. I also checked all connections and pushed the heatsink down in case the thermal glue was coming undone. No dice. After some browsing it sounds like the continuous beeping I am getting means "Power Issue." I have some backup power supplies that I can try. Hopefully that's it. I haven't made any changes to it in a few months. I never use compressed air on it - there was a little dust but not too much.

The only other issue, and this would suck, is that my CPU has a tendency to run hot and my room was brutally hot last night and today compared to its normal temp. Hopefully it didn't fry my CPU.

Thanks guys. Updates: I reseated the memory and video card. I also checked all connections and pushed the heatsink down in case the thermal glue was coming undone. No dice. After some browsing it sounds like the continuous beeping I am getting means "Power Issue." I have some backup power supplies that I can try. Hopefully that's it. I haven't made any changes to it in a few months. I never use compressed air on it - there was a little dust but not too much.

The only other issue, and this would suck, is that my CPU has a tendency to run hot and my room was brutally hot last night and today compared to its normal temp. Hopefully it didn't fry my CPU.

If you have free connectors on your power supply you can try connecting a different one to the mother board. Could be the wire or connector that is bad or just the connection itself.

Otherwise definitley try a new power supply. At least you can rule that out.