What's new

Conley contract extension watch

Doesn't really matter at this point. They've turned that franchise into an absolute money printing machine, especially with the move into downtown SF. They can spend monstrous amounts on salary and still be raking in cash.
Yeah, that remains to be seen. Pretty sure they haven't turned a profit thus far, and commercial real estate has probably hit its peak value nationwide.

Not sure what the governmental tax situation there is, but I'd bet it is pretty damn hefty.

Couldn't we move Bogey after this season to make room for resigning Conley?
DL doesn’t have any more second rounders to pair with him in a deal, and DL doesn’t think he can make deals without throwing in second rounders.

Wiggins was acquired in a two-step of moves, post-Durant, that were all about trade ballast. Once Thompson went down again, their plans around all of that (and their #2 pick) certainly changed.

They aren’t a good comparison/model—from market size, to talent base, to ownership. They popped whilst Curry was making a paltry $11 million/yr... and then again after the cap spiked with the new TV deal. Just a bad comparison all around.
I'm just talking about what the Warriors are paying now. They are currently 20 million (plus cap fees) over what the Jazz would be paying if they signed Conley to a 26 million dollar extension.

I'm having a hard time finding a place that says that we NEED to sign Conley to an extension rather than just using Bird rights to to negotiate a new deal entirely. In fact, I believe the time to sign extensions is already over. In a world where we did so well that Conley can demand 26 million, the Jazz were probably in the finals, and it would be foolish to break things up over $50 million of so.

If the Jazz are out in the first or second round, yeah, there will be changes.

There are a number of things we could do but shouldn’t.
Well yeah I agree with you and I love Bogey. I'm just saying if the front office thinks Conley should stay that there are ways of making it happen if owners want to avoid the luxury tax. Obviously it would take some hard decision making, but it could be done. I'm holding out for the life long Jazz fan owner Ryan to invest in the current team even if he takes a hit for a couple years. This has been the funnest year to be a fan and by far the most talented team we've put on the floor in a LONG TIME.

Wiggins is one of those max contracts. Getting a team to the finals is worth paying the tax for. The Warriors were a small market also ran until they had playoff success. If the Jazz keep playing like they are, it would be foolish to break things up.

Once the click strikes midnight, well then, yeah
The Warrior are in an above-average-sized market, with a much higher income-per-capita than some areas with a larger population.

The Warrior are in an above-average-sized market, with a much higher income-per-capita than some areas with a larger population.
And compete with the Niners, A's, and Giants. They have priced out their traditional fans. Tell me how well those new luxury seats are going to sell out after a couple of years of fighting .500?

Obviously, the Jazz spending such a large sum needs to correlate with tremendous success. If the difference between second round and a championship shot is 50-60 million, you pay that happily.

I'm just talking about what the Warriors are paying now. They are currently 20 million (plus cap fees) over what the Jazz would be paying if they signed Conley to a 26 million dollar extension.

I'm having a hard time finding a place that says that we NEED to sign Conley to an extension rather than just using Bird rights to to negotiate a new deal entirely. In fact, I believe the time to sign extensions is already over. In a world where we did so well that Conley can demand 26 million, the Jazz were probably in the finals, and it would be foolish to break things up over $50 million of so.

If the Jazz are out in the first or second round, yeah, there will be changes.
I think the odds of Conley returning are less than 10% unless the jazz make the WCF and either advance or come within a whisker of advancing. And if he does, even in this rosy scenario, then I think it would cost us another key rotation player (in a salary-dump move to carve off some the tax).

Well yeah I agree with you and I love Bogey. I'm just saying if the front office thinks Conley should stay that there are ways of making it happen if owners want to avoid the luxury tax. Obviously it would take some hard decision making, but it could be done. I'm holding out for the life long Jazz fan owner Ryan to invest in the current team even if he takes a hit for a couple years. This has been the funnest year to be a fan and by far the most talented team we've put on the floor in a LONG TIME.
I don’t see any scenario where Conley returns and we avoid the LT. The question would be how much tax Ryan is willing to pay. And my wager would be that he’d offload a player like Favors or even Royce before he’d just pay the total bill.

Personally, I haven’t seen nearly enough to start rolling jazz players down the plank in order to make room for more Conley. I remember last year. And I remember hammies. I guess we’ll see how the rest of this year goes. I finally like watching Mike, so this is awesome.

Last edited: