What's new

Contender or Pretender?

KM32MVP

https://nba-point-forward.si.com/2010/11/11/jazz-merit-notice-as-potential-top-contender/

Jazz merit notice as potential top contender
Jazz fans are crowing Thursday, and it’s understandable. It’s only mid-November, but the last few days have produced the craziest night of regular-season action (Tuesday, featuring Utah’s rally in Miami and Indiana’s near-perfect third-quarter explosion against Denver) and the best set of back-to-back victories we might see all season. The latter, of course, came courtesy of Utah, which just completed improbable road comebacks against the Heat and Magic.

Utah’s offseason theft of Al Jefferson from Minnesota drew raves, but few league observers considered the Jazz a serious threat to knock off the Lakers in the Western Conference or win the NBA title. And even now, Utah is still “only” 5-3 and in second place in its own division. But after two giant road victories, it’s fair to wonder: Are the Jazz better than we thought?

The Jazz are, fundamentally, the same team they’ve been for a while. They assist on a high percentage of their baskets, they get to the line a lot, they foul a ton on defense and they shoot few three-pointers. Another year, another Jerry Sloan team. But there are some early differences between this Utah team and last season’s, and those differences trend more toward “worrisome” than “encouraging.”

Rebounding is down. The Jazz rank 20th in offensive rebounding rate and, more alarmingly, 25th in defensive rebounding rate. They finished 13th and fifth, respectively, in those categories last season. One good sign: They’ve already faced five of the top 10 offensive rebounding teams this season, so perhaps the Jazz are better at protecting the defensive glass than the early numbers indicate. If they’re not, they will get themselves in trouble in the long run.

The Paul Millsap-Jefferson combination will end up outscoring the Millsap-Carlos Boozer pairing, but Utah’s top two big men haven’t cleaned the defensive glass during their careers as well as Boozer. Andrei Kirilenko’s rebounding numbers are also down, possibly because he’s almost exclusively guarding small forwards this season.

Teams can succeed by being so-so on the boards at one end, but rarely can they get away with it on both ends. Jazz fans have to hope Utah gets better on the defensive glass.

Offense has dipped. The Jazz have scored 106.2 points per 100 possessions, 14th in the league. That’s bad for a team that usually wins with very efficient offense; the Jazz scored 110.7 points per 100 possessions last season.

The good news here is that this is almost entirely because of shooting. The Jazz are doing everything else — turning the ball over, getting the line, etc. — at about the same rate as they were last season. Their shooting accuracy has dropped from 49.1 percent to 46.4 percent, and they’re doing worse on mid-range shots and long two-pointers. They’re probably due for a hot streak, and they need to hit those twos, because they’re never going to be an elite three-point shooting team in Sloan’s system.

One note: They seem to be attacking the rim a lot less, as their attempts from the layup range have dropped from 31.3 last season (second in the league, behind Memphis) to 24.4 this season. I’m unsure how big an issue this really is, though. That 24.4 figure still ranks in the top 10, because the league as a whole is attempting far fewer shots at the rim, according to Hoopdata. As I’ve mentioned before, I’m a tad suspicious about this league-wide distribution of shot attempts away from the rim, since those attempts appear to have migrated entirely (according to Hoopdata) to the range between the rim and the area 10 feet from the hoop.

Hoopdata depends on play-by-play logs for its shot distance info, and I’m curious as to whether those logs have changed the way they classify shots.

The defense is surviving because the Jazz have been unusually stingy against the three-pointer. Opponents are shooting just 30.6 percent from deep; only the Hornets and Blazers have held opponents to a lower three-point mark.

The skeptics would say this is luck, and that teams will start hitting more often from deep against the Jazz — and that when they do, Utah’s defense will suffer unless it can improve elsewhere. And don’t bet on that improvement coming in foul rate, since the Jazz are among the most foul-happy teams every year.

But what if the Jazz have recommitted to defending the three-pointer this season? And what if having Kirilenko back healthy helps more than expected in this regard? We saw Wednesday that Utah used a matchup zone – illustrated beautifully with video here — to flummox Orlando, one of the league’s best three-point shooting teams. Maybe this is something the Jazz will break out more often.

Sum all of this up, and I’m not ready to put Utah in the elite yet. There are just too many questions, particularly about the rebounding, and scoring depth will continue to concern me until C.J. Miles proves he can be a consistent threat on the wing and Mehmet Okur comes back healthy to space the floor.

But still: The Jazz have one of the two best point guards in the league, and they’ve proved they can win brutal road games. If they’re not among the top five or six contenders yet — and I don’t think they are — they deserve our attention as a team that could break into that group.

The Paul Millsap-Jefferson combination will end up outscoring the Millsap-Carlos Boozer pairing, but Utah’s top two big men haven’t cleaned the defensive glass during their careers as well as Boozer.

Yeah, I wish Millsap would learn to rebound. This is a skill he should have developed back in college!

Yeah, I wish Millsap would learn to rebound. This is a skill he should have developed back in college!

The difference between the two, Boozer boxes out to rebound, Millsap hustles to rebound. You can tell by the number of offensive rebounds each gets. Boozer would get 8-9 Defensive, 1-2 offensive. Millsap gets 5-6 defensive, 4-5 offensive.

Fundamentals > Hustle

The fact that we have to come back to win games, we are being out rebound, and our bench scare me. If we change those things, we are contenders.

The difference between the two, Boozer boxes out to rebound, Millsap hustles to rebound.

Fundamentals > Hustle

...I've got a classic picture of Sap boxing out an opponent that would be the poster picture for boxing out. I just can't figure out how to post it on this board! It's on Microsoft Office Picture Manager.

Shooters. Who do we have that are shooters? Guys who can scare another team? Really none right now. CJ could, Deron could, Hayward could but thats about it until Memo comes back and one is not enough. That and the starting five could be the slowest, least athletic starting group in the league.

Jazz had two phenomenal victories that have people dreaming. But I suspect if we played either of those two teams in a 7 game series, we would lose 4-2. This team still looks too much like last years, tougher but poorer shooting.

...I've got a classic picture of Sap boxing out an opponent that would be the poster picture for boxing out. I just can't figure out how to post it on this board! It's on Microsoft Office Picture Manager.

Go to "save as" and save it as a jpeg, then upload to photobucket for free.

Shooters. Who do we have that are shooters? Guys who can scare another team? Really none right now. CJ could, Deron could, Hayward could but thats about it until Memo comes back and one is not enough. That and the starting five could be the slowest, least athletic starting group in the league.

Jazz had two phenomenal victories that have people dreaming. But I suspect if we played either of those two teams in a 7 game series, we would lose 4-2. This team still looks too much like last years, tougher but poorer shooting.

Shooting is a concern, but Bell looks like he's starting to remember how, and Millsap's outside shot has improved vastly.

The difference between the two, Boozer boxes out to rebound, Millsap hustles to rebound. You can tell by the number of offensive rebounds each gets. Boozer would get 8-9 Defensive, 1-2 offensive. Millsap gets 5-6 defensive, 4-5 offensive.

Fundamentals > Hustle

this

I'm going to go ahead and say that our 3pt defense helps cause inability to be in position.

That's my story, and I'm stickin to it.

Outside of L.A., Boston and maybe Orlando, I think it's too early to call any team in the NBA a contender.

But my guess is that no, this year's team is not a contender. Not that they've been much of a contender the last few years. The last time I really ever felt they were was in early 2007, so it's not like they're giving up that title this go around.

In the end, I expect them to be about as good as they were in 2008 and last season. So, probably a 4th or 5th place finish again and a second round loss to the Lakers.

Having to come back to win, Big Al learning the system, our bench, and rebounding are of most concern.

Fundamentals > Hustle

I think Boozer is an excellent rebounder - no doubt, but i don't think his fundamentals are notably different than Sap's. I think Sap spent more time playing d, more time doing off-the-ball blocking, more time garbage hunting, etc. Some of that different duty was by design possibly. I think they are near equal in skill and fundamentals of rebounding.

Last year the rotation was Boozer, Sap, Memo - this year its AJ, Sap, Ak(fess) the former is a much better group of rebounders than the latter.

umad2.gif

sigh

Relax.

We haven't even played 10 games yet.

If we went off early season results, we would have gone 82-0 and destroyed everything including the New England Patriots en route to the championship in 04-05....

Anyone remember how we landed in the lottery and drafted Deron?

Lets relax. It's far too early to tell if we're contenders yet.