What's new

Corner 3s

zman1527

Watching one of the elite teams recently, Miami I think, I was amazed at how many corner 3s they got. Spurs seem to do the same. The Jazz seem to me to get very, very few.

Then I went to check out how important they are and was amazed at what the stats show according to this article: https://www.hardwoodparoxysm.com/2013/01/04/cornered/

"Not buying the gospel of the corner 3? Believe it or not, a team’s frequency of corner 3s is more closely linked to successful offenses than the frequency of shots in the restricted area, even though they boast similar payoffs (1.16 points per shot versus 1.19 points per shot, respectively). In fact, when we look at shot frequency from the five shot areas on the floor designated by NBA.com’s StatsCube — restricted-area, in the paint non-restricted-area, midrange, corner 3s and above-the-break 3s — the strongest correlation with offensive efficiency over the past 17 seasons is the corner 3-pointer."

There is more on the topic on ESPN Insider. Anyone with a subcription be willing to give us the rundown? How do the Jazz rank?

https://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/PerDiem-130101/nba-ranking-team-corner-3s

Utah Jazz
Corner 3s per game: 4.3 (24th) | Corner 3 FG%: 35.8 percent (26th)
Notable shooters: None

There's this: Paul Millsap has made six of his eight attempts from the corners this season. Might want to check whether it's fool's gold.

Flex offense really isn't conducive to corner 3s. More of a drive and kick game.

It would be interesting to see the relationship to defending the corner three is to success rather than just the offensive side.

Utah Jazz
Corner 3s per game: 4.3 (24th) | Corner 3 FG%: 35.8 percent (26th)
Notable shooters: None

There's this: Paul Millsap has made six of his eight attempts from the corners this season. Might want to check whether it's fool's gold.

What does the 11th refer to? Looks to me, as suspected, that we rank very low in corner 3s, about 25th.

If you were to read the first article I linked, the guy says the correlation does not even matter as to what percentage of corner 3s you make, just that you shoot a relatively high percentage. More important than shots near the bucket or shots in the lane. Would make Ol' Jer's head spin.

What does the 11th refer to? Looks to me, as suspected, that we rank very low in corner 3s, about 25th.

If you were to read the first article I linked, the guy says the correlation does not even matter as to what percentage of corner 3s you make, just that you shoot a relatively high percentage. More important than shots near the bucket or shots in the lane. Would make Ol' Jer's head spin.

11th was the Jazz's overall offensive rank at that time.

We need to sign Korver.

I think our 3 point shooting is not bad overall, but we need to shoot corner 3s. One thing I suspect is that it helps spread the defense out more. And if a guy fakes the 3, drives the toward the lane, he is in great position to see a cutter and hit him for a dunk.

Korver is not the answer. Way too limited.

In order to have corner three option open you need to have either penetrating and dishing PG or swinging ball sharply which we do at best once a game.
We don't have neither penetrating PG neither ball movement because even if we get ball to Al it happens so late on the clock (thanks Mo!) that there is simply not enough time to move the ball. Or we simply suck at moving it. I blame Corbin here.

I bet we are among the leaders in GIVING UP corner three's. In fact, that seems to be the major weakness of our defensive set. Just think of how often the Spurs exploit it against us, and have been since way back in the 90s when Bruce Bowen used to position himself there.

Watching one of the elite teams recently, Miami I think, I was amazed at how many corner 3s they got. Spurs seem to do the same. The Jazz seem to me to get very, very few.

Then I went to check out how important they are and was amazed at what the stats show according to this article: https://www.hardwoodparoxysm.com/2013/01/04/cornered/

There is more on the topic on ESPN Insider. Anyone with a subcription be willing to give us the rundown? How do the Jazz rank?

https://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/PerDiem-130101/nba-ranking-team-corner-3s

we cant shoot corner 3 cus big al is posting up near the 3 point line.
so the spacing is bad for the corner 3

Missing corner 3's probably lead to more transition baskets than any other shot on the chart. When you're a top shelf defensive team like Miami or San Antonio you can afford to take them - Utah can not.

Marvin is, or was at least, a very good corner shooter. I dont ever see him there on offense though, always on the wing. He needs to stay in spots he will succeed.

Marvin is, or was at least, a very good corner shooter. I dont ever see him there on offense though, always on the wing. He needs to stay in spots he will succeed.

If Al wasn't around I'm sure there would be a much better flow in the offense and we'd see a lot more corner 3's. I don't think anyone would be complaining about Marvin because I think he'd do a LOT better. And I think we'd have a lot more wins and less gripe about Corbin. Maybe all of our problems are stemming from Jefferson... We better not resign him next year.

Missing corner 3's probably lead to more transition baskets than any other shot on the chart. When you're a top shelf defensive team like Miami or San Antonio you can afford to take them - Utah can not.

Actually, the first article linked says that is not true. The stats say it does not even matter what percentage of them you make, just that you shoot enough of them. Not sure how to explain it, but thats what the stats apparently say.

Actually, the first article linked says that is not true. The stats say it does not even matter what percentage of them you make, just that you shoot enough of them. Not sure how to explain it, but thats what the stats apparently say.

Does it? To be honest I zoned out about half way through the first article. Anecdotally speaking I find that very hard to believe - especially if it is a back court player attempting the 3.

As for The Jazz, Foye seems much more comfortable shooting from the top of the key as opposed to in the corner. And Hayward has this very confounding problem with not being able to jump straight up and down when shooting from the corner. Which causes a lot of his shots to sail from that area.