What's new

Corner 3's

jimmy eat jazz

From what I understand, the corner 3 is the highest percentage 3 point shot and is integrated into the offensive game plans of many (if not most) team in the NBA. I don't know how many times I've sat in the ESA and watched team after team torch us on corner 3's, particularly the drive and kick corner 3's. I was listening to an interview with the Portland coach before the game last night, and he says they have an explicit strategy to kick offensive rebounds out to the corner for a 3 point shot, as this is often open with people collapsing to get the rebound.

Yet, I don't see any evidence that the Jazz have done anything to incorporate the corner 3 into its offense. Most of the 3's the Jazz take, appear to be from the top of the 3 point line or off to the angle of the 3 point line. Is my observation correct? If so, what's the apparent reluctance of the Jazz to incorporate the corner 3 into its offense and actually run plays to generate it (as other teams do)? It seems such an obvious and effective strategy, and it is puzzling that the Jazz seem to refuse to embrace it.

From what I understand, the corner 3 is the highest percentage 3 point shot and is integrated into the offensive game plans of many (if not most) team in the NBA. I don't know how many times I've sat in the ESA and watched team after team torch us on corner 3's, particularly the drive and kick corner 3's. I was listening to an interview with the Portland coach before the game last night, and he says they have an explicit strategy to kick offensive rebounds out to the corner for a 3 point shot, as this is often open with people collapsing to get the rebound.

Yet, I don't see any evidence that the Jazz have done anything to incorporate the corner 3 into its offense. Most of the 3's the Jazz take, appear to be from the top of the 3 point line or off to the angle of the 3 point line. Is my observation correct? If so, what's the apparent reluctance of the Jazz to incorporate the corner 3 into its offense and actually run plays to generate it (as other teams do)? It seems such an obvious and effective strategy, and it is puzzling that the Jazz seem to refuse to embrace it.

Not only that but one of their greatest defensive weaknesses is guarding the 3 -- was that way with Jerry too.

Someone find stats, stat.

I'm guessing the corner 3 is the highest percentage because MOST teams have a weakness in defending it. Question is, do the Jazz have a greater weakness than the average team?

The Jazz shoot corner threes. Most teams shoot more mid and high threes than corner threes. Burks seems to like driving from the left to right when keeping his dribble and looking to pass. This leaves the right corner or right wing open within his passing vision. Teams have been giving the Jazz the wing instead of the corner. He doesn't seem strong enough with his left hand for teams to collapse off the left corner.

The bold part sounds like pretty damn stupid defensive balance. You never park a guy in the corner off an offensive shot unless you like giving up fast break points.

Interesting point about the corner 3 I read last year. There was an article that broke down shots from various place, percentage made, and winning percentage for teams. One key takeaway was that the best correlation to winning percentage was the number of corner 3s taken regardless of percentage made. I suspect that it says a little something more about a teams ability to break down the D and get those shots than anything so it is a little more indirect. Nevertheless, it points to a likely gap in the Jazz team, both offense and defense.

The Jazz shoot corner threes. Most teams shoot more mid and high threes than corner threes. Burks seems to like driving from the left to right when keeping his dribble and looking to pass. This leaves the right corner or right wing open within his passing vision. Teams have been giving the Jazz the wing instead of the corner. He doesn't seem strong enough with his left hand for teams to collapse off the left corner.

The bold part sounds like pretty damn stupid defensive balance. You never park a guy in the corner off an offensive shot unless you like giving up fast break points.

Stupid perhaps, but it seems to work, given the number of 3's Portland takes and the rate at which it converts them.

I'm not saying the Jazz don't take corner threes, but my observation (subject to actual verification) is that they take fewer than other teams and don't run plays specifically to get shots from there, as other teams seem to do. If true, it strikes me as a glaring omission in offensive strategy.

Stupid perhaps, but it seems to work, given the number of 3's Portland takes and the rate at which it converts them.

I'm not saying the Jazz don't take corner threes, but my observation (subject to actual verification) is that they take fewer than other teams and don't run plays specifically to get shots from there, as other teams seem to do. If true, it strikes me as a glaring omission in offensive strategy.

Most corner threes requires defenses collapsing into the paint. How do you expect this squad to force the defense to collapse and open that three up?

FWIW, Jazz shoot 4.5 corner 3's/game, compared to 6.5 by SAS and 6.2 by GSW.

Jazz announcers were talking early in the season about jazz coaches altering the offense to get more corner 3 looks. I noticed it a lot in the early games, the spacing was different than in years past. Trouble was jazz couldn't make them. Blame that on Lucas, Tinsley and burks.

Lately I have noticed it less. Maybe I've grown accustomed to the tweaks, or maybe the jazz got out of it.

The flex as the jazz run it seems to produce the most threes at top left (late in the clock) and top right earlier.

image.jpg

Looking around at the new league stat site i came across what are to me really confusing and troubling stats about the Jazz long range shooting. They lead the league in number of attempts from 20-24 ft. Are dead last in number of attempts from 25-30 ft.

Also they shoot 33% from that 20-24 range if i remember right that ranks 27th in the league. And looking for the corner 3's stats could only conclude that they shoot worse from the corners than any other 3 pt. zone. Someone with some time on their hands

needs to do an in depth study. mellow seems to have a good handle on this as the numbers i saw seemed to verify his observations.

Just curious, what is our % on corner threes?

Cant recall without going back and i don't have the time but they were real low 22-25 percent

I'm guessing the corner 3 is the highest percentage because MOST teams have a weakness in defending it.

It's also because it's the closest 3 pt shot. Substantially closer than a 3 from the top of the key, for example.

I'm guessing the corner 3 is the highest percentage because MOST teams have a weakness in defending it. Question is, do the Jazz have a greater weakness than the average team?

It is a higher percentage 3 pt shot due to the decreased distance primarily. An open 3 is an open 3, but the corner 3 is the shortest distance to 3 pts on the court, making it an easier shot.

https://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/01/28/film-study-spurs-from-the-corner/

HANG TIME NEW JERSEY BUREAU – The San Antonio Spurs are a smart basketball team. For evidence, just look at their shot selection.
There are two different 3-point distances in the NBA. The arc is 23 feet and nine inches from the center of the rim, while the straight lines in the corners are just 22 feet.
The shorter distance makes a difference. Over the last five seasons, the league has shot 39.2 percent on corner 3-pointers and 35.2 percent on 3-pointers taken above the break (where the arc turns into a straight line). That difference in percentage produces an extra point scored every 8.2 attempts.

It is a higher percentage 3 pt shot due to the decreased distance primarily. An open 3 is an open 3, but the corner 3 is the shortest distance to 3 pts on the court, making it an easier shot.

I think most pure shooters will tell you it's the easier shot to line up mechanically as well. Except for maybe the straight away 3 - which is a longer distance. Also with the corner 3 you only have to worry about defense coming at you from 2 directions instead of 4 so it's usually shot with more confidence.

I've got a spoon for you.
5.36% of Jazz shots are in the corner 3 area. They are making them at a 25-26% clip depending on the side.
15.59% of their shots are from other areas beyond the arc. These are being made at an average of 35.4%.

Fwiw they take about as many threes from any given corner as they do from the top of the key.

https://stats.nba.com/teamShotchart.html?TeamID=1610612762&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&display-mode=performance&zone-mode=zone&viewShots=false

It looks like the Jazz is below league average for fg% from the corner and at 25% the math doesn't add up to take more.

Findind corner threes also mean your spacing is good enough not to be covered well. Generally if you have stretch forward shooting 3's, also help your SF to move corners to make him forget to shoot. I do not know the stats but stretch pf- corner threes corelation gotta be calculated.

Findind corner threes also mean your spacing is good enough not to be covered well. Generally if you have stretch forward shooting 3's, also help your SF to move corners to make him forget to shoot. I do not know the stats but stretch pf- corner threes corelation gotta be calculated.

Robert horry changed the nba forever.

I've got a spoon for you.
5.36% of Jazz shots are in the corner 3 area. They are making them at a 25-26% clip depending on the side.
15.59% of their shots are from other areas beyond the arc. These are being made at an average of 35.4%.

Fwiw they take about as many threes from any given corner as they do from the top of the key.

https://stats.nba.com/teamShotchart.html?TeamID=1610612762&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&display-mode=performance&zone-mode=zone&viewShots=false

It looks like the Jazz is below league average for fg% from the corner and at 25% the math doesn't add up to take more.

Very interesting. This is why it's usually better to rely on actual stats than rely on eyeball test.

I would only say that I'm not sure it's appropriate to extrapolate the 25% to more shot attempts, particularly if those shots come from specific plays run to get the corner 3, which, with time, practice, and experience running, we might expect the team to become more efficient shooting.

I'm still of the opinion that we are not doing enough to incorporate the corner 3 into our offense, but it's evidently not that simple.

...OR... How about this approach: If the team isn't good at something, maybe they should shoot more of those in practice? I mean, isn't the purpose of practice to get better at things you're weak at?