What's new

Could be an interesting couple of days

ekimebirt

With the recent Cleveland trade the Jazz have 13 players, roughly 56 M in salaries with a 63 M cap. We also have a bucket full of second round picks and Ian Clark on a 800k I guaranteed contract and Jeremy Evans on a 1.8 M expiring contract. Seems to me like we are still in a very good position to help facilitate K Love to Cleveland.

I would consider Martin for Clark's expiring and be happy to pick up a good free asset. 3 years in his prime not a crazy contract in a position of need another 3 point shooting wing. Gives hood time to develop

Minn wants to include JJ Barea (4.5 m expiring) and Kevin Martin 6.8, 7.0 and 7.3. Anything on either team worth going after. We could absorb either contract outright or send back either or both Evans and clark.

Are these players too good and ruin Tank II or are they a bit of veteran leadership to help round out the team

I don't think they are good enough to win us a lot more games than we could have won without them. I think we should be pushing for first round picks from those teams if they want us to take on those contracts. Cleveland has firsts from Miami(1-10 protected for 2015 or 1-10 protected in 2016 or 2017 unprotected) and Memphis(1-5 and 15-30 protected in 2015 or 2016, or 1-5 protected in 2017 or 2018).

I wouldn't want either player for their play, would take them for an unprotected 1st round pick though from Minny.

We still have to pay more to sign Burks and Kanter next year - so I really think trading for Kevin Martin is really out of the question unless we want to start contending right away.

The era of the 'tank' could be coming to and end with the proposed flat rate 10% chance at the lottery. This could be our 'last' opportunity to tank for legit talent.

Putting all of that together and I think DL stands pat, tank for another year (while selling the fans of the improvement of Exum and Gobert).

- we get another potential star player to pair with Exum

- we'll have enough money to pay for Burks & Kanter in case they flourish under Quin.

- we take advantage of our last opportunity to 'tank'.

If we help facilitate a Love trade to Cleveland, any chance we could land JLIII?

No way. Martin or Barea might out play the shinny new pgs or the new luxury sedan version of Hayward. Or win 7 extra games to cost the jazz a #1 pick next year. Can't risk that.

"Tanking" this season means 30-35 wins and a pick in the 10-12 range. WE aren't going to get a potential "star." However, Utah might be able to land a replacement for Kanter. I see him as the odd man out. Gobert is emerging to anchor the "5," which means Favors should be splitting time between the 4 and 5 by next season. Really need a player who can stretch the floor as a PF. I just don't think Kanter is that player, especially at the $ he's going to want. I predict a deadline deal while he has some trade value (acquiring team will hold his rights).

I'm getting the feeling taking Barea or another yet to be named player was part of the deal. I can't see any other reason for Cleveland to pay us and give us a pick to take our trash. They could have picked up unguaranteeds anywhere so why Utah?

I'm getting the feeling taking Barea or another yet to be named player was part of the deal. I can't see any other reason for Cleveland to pay us and give us a pick to take our trash. They could have picked up unguaranteeds anywhere so why Utah?

The key for this trade is that we are taking on a guaranteed contract, while they are taking on 3 non-guaranteed contracts, which can be waived or used in a potential future trade. It's a small step for them, but it does free them a little cap space to possibly sign Love.

The key for this trade is that we are taking on a guaranteed contract, while they are taking on 3 non-guaranteed contracts, which can be waived or used in a potential future trade. It's a small step for them, but it does free them a little cap space to possibly sign Love.

I'm no cap expert (but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express). One of the articles on the trade spoke about some "aggregation" rule and that all 3 contracts couldn't be used in the same trade to acquire Love. Do you know what this was about?

Maybe the Love trade has to be structured as 2 separate deals?