What's new

Could Hardy save the Mitchell & Gobert tandem?

Jazzman12

Pure speculation as we have no idea how Hardy or our front office feel about keeping those 2 together, but hear me out:

While I’m personally of the belief that the Jazz should blow it up and trade both players, it’s probably true that the quickest way the Jazz could legit contend for a title would be finding a way to get Mitchell and Gobert in love with the idea of continuing to play together, sliding Don to the PG spot, and then finding a way to put 3 other starters on the floor who have both height and defensive ability.

While most of what I mentioned is pretty unlikely, I do think hiring a young coach like Hardy could possibly flip the paradigm in Utah. Had Quin stayed on, we pretty much had a ZERO percent chance of keeping both guys. The players had played enough under Quin to know that nothing was really gonna change while Snyder was in charge.

However, IF Hardy is of the mindset that he can win with Don and Rudy, he could sit down with both players and make a pretty compelling argument on how he could maximize their relationship. Prior to this season, Celtic fans were screaming that Boston couldn’t make it work with Tatum and Brown. They had maxed out a couple of years ago and had been looking more and more mediocre ever since. Then Boston makes a coaching change, the result was immediate, and we see Tatum & Brown led Celtic team in the finals.

Again, who knows how likely a situation like this would be, but I do feel confident when I say this: Ryan Smith is not gonna be the owner that decides to blow up his team and start a rebuild the same year he’s hosting the ASG. He also strikes me as a guy who knows exactly how much Donovan’s celebrity status can be leveraged by the Jazz.

Maybe he can get them to eat lunch together more often.

But seriously, their on court relationship was mostly fine besides Donovan not getting Rudy the ball more. The problem with building around them both is you would need a prime Joe Ingles and two OG Anunoby type players.

If Don could defend or Rudy could create some of his own offense it might be different.

What saves the Gobert-Mitchell relationship is putting together a good basketball team. It's fine when we're winning, it's bad when we're not. No amount of friendship bonding will overcome a roster that is set up to fail expectations.

There would need to be a highly-skilled, dynamic wing between Mitchell and Gobert to create floor balance, share ball-handling duty, pass the ball to Rudy in position to score, and make his own significant scoring contribution. Without an improved roster, the coach won't have the tools he needs to work with.

In the bigger picture though, Mitchell will start to exercise the leverage of his impending free agency in a couple years. This doesn't create a lot of time to fix roster. It's also a problem if it hangs over the future of the franchise.

There would need to be a highly-skilled, dynamic wing between Mitchell and Gobert to create floor balance, share ball-handling duty, pass the ball to Rudy in position to score, and make his own significant scoring contribution. Without an improved roster, the coach won't have the tools he needs to work with.

In the bigger picture though, Mitchell will start to exercise the leverage of his impending free agency in a couple years. This doesn't create a lot of time to fix roster. It's also a problem if it hangs over the future of the franchise.
It just gets discouraging because it’s hard to chart a realistic path to adding a good young wing while still keeping Don and Rudy. But it’s not impossible I wish we would’ve tried to swing a deal for Wiggins when his value was low.

It just gets discouraging because it’s hard to chart a realistic path to adding a good young wing while still keeping Don and Rudy. But it’s not impossible I wish we would’ve tried to swing a deal for Wiggins when his value was low.

Wiggins isn't the guy. It needs to be a triple-threat wing who can run pick-and-rolls and get the ball to Rudy in stride.

Is there anyone you have in mind?

Not on the current roster. It doesn't look like NAW is going to pull it off. Jared Butler is a bit small. I would have loved to pick up Ousmane Dieng or Nikola Jovic in the draft.

It doesn't look like the Jazz are going to get into the Dejounte Murray sweepstakes.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I liked Avdija coming out, what's up with him?

His shooting hasn't been up to par, and the Wizards just have a log-jam at the forward spots. Deni is only 21 though and has a lot of potential as a big initiator. He's the kind of guy that Quin could have gotten a lot out of.

His shooting hasn't been up to par, and the Wizards just have a log-jam at the forward spots. Deni is only 21 though and has a lot of potential as a big initiator. He's the kind of guy that Quin could have gotten a lot out of.
He actually reminded me a lot of GH when I watched him leading up to the draft.

Do you think there's anyone we could possibly absorb with our TPE from Ingles?

I read somewhere that the current line of bull**** is that they're going to "rebuild while remaining competitive." If so, fire up the treadmill boys! It's a long road to nowhere in purgatory.