What's new

Countdown to a Letdown--aka Jazz trade deadline 2014

mellow

The Nba trade deadline is February 20th at 3pm Eastern time.

Early reports suggest there is an over abundance of teams trying to sell expiring contracts, and not many buyers. Could the Jazz find a match with a young player combined with an expiring?

Wait to find out.

Trade chatter:

Rick Bonnell: Don't want to make too much of this. But if Bobcats don't make a trade by the deadline, it won't be for a lack of trying. Twitter @rick_bonnell

I heard they are most interested in a back-up pf.

GS is desperate to win now. They have traded away many future picks and their new stadium plans were set back at least a year.

rival executives told USA TODAY Sports last week that anyone outside of point guard Stephen Curry and center Andrew Bogut is, to varying degrees, up for discussion. That includes second-year small forward Harrison Barnes, the Warriors reserve who is known to have sparked serious interest from a long list of suitors but who is unlikely to be traded unless it was part of a package for a big-name player.

Wont be a letdown.......... February 20th is the Return Of Cyrone Torbin!

I for one shall rejoice

The Nba trade deadline is February 20th at 3pm Eastern time.

Early reports suggest there is an over abundance of teams trying to sell expiring contracts, and not many buyers. Could the Jazz find a match with a young player combined with an expiring?

Wait to find out.
Exactly. And what we have are two forwards who are WAY OVERPAID. RJ and MW are only beautiful in Corbin's eyes. They are serviceable players, certainly able to provide a slight boost to some teams, but there are better options around the league for lesser dollars - i.e. much easier to make contracts match. Probably the only way to lose either at the deadline is to take on a longer contract. And I highly doubt Lindsey wants to do that. He's shown the exact opposite philosophy, trying to free the Jazz of any significant long-term commitments. I'd be shocked if the Jazz made a trade.

I read an article about the new collective bargaining agreement makes expiring contracts not as sought after as they use to be. Most teams will just let them expire instead of trading for them like they did in the past.

The only thing to look forward to is to see if DL's "why we didn't do anything at the trade deadline" speech is the same as KOC's.

but we can still get this for jefferson! wooooo

mcdonalds-Hamburger-Happy-Meals.png

Exactly. And what we have are two forwards who are WAY OVERPAID.

I disagree.
We have a full roster of players that should be discussed in trade talks.

I dont think anyone on our roster should be considered untouchable.

Im still confused as to who is in charge at the Jazz. This Co-GM stuff is pretty stupid.

So far I like Lindsey's philosophy, but does he even get to implement what he thinks? Im not sure. KOC and Lindsey seem like two way different GM's to me.

I disagree.
We have a full roster of players that should be discussed in trade talks.

I dont think anyone on our roster should be considered untouchable.

Depends on what you are looking at. I was only looking at players with expirings who were likely to be shopped now. I think of the five "core" players, Kanter is the most likely to be traded. But you're right, no one is "untouchable." I'd just be very hesitant to sell low right now. Bring in a decent coach and I think all five would show tremendous improvement just by being used correctly and having an offensive and defensive system in place.

Im still confused as to who is in charge at the Jazz. This Co-GM stuff is pretty stupid.

So far I like Lindsey's philosophy, but does he even get to implement what he thinks? Im not sure. KOC and Lindsey seem like two way different GM's to me.
Co-GM's? I wasn't aware we had that. KOC isn't involved in the day-to-day anymore. This is clearly Lindsey's plan that has been set in motion. He won the fight this summer when the Jazz stopped negotiations with their vets and made the GS trade. And right when Dennis came in, he said Utah had tried to skip a few steps in their rebuilding process. The pivotal decision will be either letting Ty go or offering him a new contract. If I were a betting man, I'd say the decision has likely been made by now and Dennis will get to bring in a new guy (and I've said this before...don't be surprised if that guy is already part of the Jazz organization).

Marvin to Charlotte makes a lot of sense. They need shooters desperately. McRoberts is a decent option at PF for them right now, does a lot of little things, but isn't the shooter that Marvin is.

Marvin and Richard for Ben Gordon, I think that would work. Would give the Bobcats two shooters.

Marvin to Charlotte makes a lot of sense. They need shooters desperately. McRoberts is a decent option at PF for them right now, does a lot of little things, but isn't the shooter that Marvin is.

Marvin and Richard for Ben Gordon, I think that would work. Would give the Bobcats two shooters.

Agree. A trade with Charlotte, Memphis or Phoenix is the easiest to accomplish in terms of salaries and also would make sense for both Utah and any of those teams. The question is, can they get a better player from someone else?

Agree. A trade with Charlotte, Memphis or Phoenix is the easiest to accomplish in terms of salaries and also would make sense for both Utah and any of those teams. The question is, can they get a better player from someone else?

Question is if Lindsey is asking for too much in return, like a 1st round draft pick. Marvin would be a perfect fit for Charlotte. I've been watching them a lot recently and they are actually pretty good. Problem is though their offense is awful if Jeffereson isn't on the floor. They have 0 shooters outside of Anthony Tolliver. It's ugly to watch at times. Jefferson and Marvin would be clear upgrades to their bench, or even to their starters in Marvin's case.

From Espn:

In his first official days on the job, NBA commissioner Adam Silver is holding to a stance that the league is not ready to add an expansion team in the eager and deep-pocketed Seattle market. "Seattle is a wonderful market. It would be very additive to the league to have a team there," Silver said in an interview this week with ESPN. "But we're not planning on expanding right now, so it's not a function of price.

Hate to derail my own thread, but maybe the Jazz get traded to Seattle for a couple of MegaPlex to be named later?

https://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kx4zjfx

https://www.nbadraft.net/2014mock_draft

Outstanding trades part indicates that the Bobcats are likely to lose their own pick this year (to Bulls, top 10 protected), but get the Pistons' pick if it is outside the top 8 (currently 10) and the Blazers' pick (top 12 protected and currently 26 or so). So I think I would do the above trade to get the Blazers' pick. I hate to see Marvin go, but we could bring him back as a FA.

https://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kx4zjfx

https://www.nbadraft.net/2014mock_draft

Outstanding trades part indicates that the Bobcats are likely to lose their own pick this year (to Bulls, top 10 protected), but get the Pistons' pick if it is outside the top 8 (currently 10) and the Blazers' pick (top 12 protected and currently 26 or so). So I think I would do the above trade to get the Blazers' pick. I hate to see Marvin go, but we could bring him back as a FA.

Get it done.

Trade chatter:

Rick Bonnell: Don't want to make too much of this. But if Bobcats don't make a trade by the deadline, it won't be for a lack of trying. Twitter @rick_bonnell

I heard they are most interested in a back-up pf.

[/I]

how about Marvin Williams and John Lucas for Ben Gordon and some kind of pick (I know they owe the bulls a pick this year if they get in playoffs, so maybe pistons pick, or future pick)
https://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=p7umrch

Richard Jefferson for Ben Gordon and any other possible asset, big or small.
Marvin Williams for Tayshaun Prince and two second rounders.

Or you could flip-flop these and throw in fillers. It doesn't really matter. Just hasten the tank, please.