What's new

Counterpoint to ridiculous thread re: Snyder

TheGobertReport

I refuse to contribute to that awful thread started by JimLes. This deserves it's own thread because the essence of this one is utter SUPPORT for Coach Quin Snyder.

For me, the inserting Shelvin Mack into starting lineup/rotation after the trade is truly the FIRST thing I've disagreed with Coach Snyder about.

I cannot believe this thread even exists and refuse to read through it for the sake of not breaking my computer screen. Coach Snyder is the best thing to happen to the Jazz organization since they traded up for Deron Williams.

Snyder installed a system which gave this group an identity on the court. If any Jazz fans aren't convinced of that importance, just go back and watch a game the Jazz played when Tyrone Corbin coached and get back to me. It is obvious that Dennis Lindsey is using the Spurs model in many ways. Clearly having three hall of famers has been critical to San Antonio's reign over the last decade, but the system/identity/culture is also NECESSARY to their success.

The foundation for the Jazz is in place with an amazing coach like Quin Snyder and some players who seem to be future All-Stars. I think it's obvious to all Jazz fans that the team still needs a few more players to be contenders.

I mentioned it in the Raptors game thread but in my opinion Ingles, Chris Johnson, Shelvin Mack are not NBA players - certainly not players who should be logging significant minutes - and at least two of those guys have gotten significant minutes all season. Add the countless injuries to the Jazz stud players to an incomplete roster, and it should become obvious how effective Quin Snyder is as a coach given the fact the Jazz are in the hunt for the postseason.

Getting in the playoffs this year is crucial for the Jazz to take the next step. The core needs that experience for a variety of reasons. In this draft especially, there is not much difference between picking 13 or 14th and 15th/16th.

I cannot wait to see how the Jazz respond to this recent losing skid, and finish out the season. The Jazz have shown some amazing potential specifically on the defensive end this year at full strength. Give them a taste of the postseason and add in a potentially devastating defender at point guard next year (Exum), and the sky is the limit for Coach Snyder leading the Jazz.

Even if you are not impressed by Snyder right now, let's hope the Jazz organization doesn't fall into the trap of blaming everything on the coach and letting him go before they are given enough time to really build the team. Coaches are just like players, they develop. Let's not forget that in both of Snyder's two seasons he has not been given a legitimate starting point guard.

The PG situation is obviously in flux - I understand giving Mack a chance because he came on board and made such a positive contribution his first game. But after that and 5 starts he has 18 assists and 18 turnovers - you can't have those #'s from a PG for a team that doesn't take care of the ball to begin with. Not to mention Mack can't hit the open 3. This guy is not a diamond in the rough - there's a reason why he's played so little in his career up to this point. It was worth a shot but at this point I'd rather see Neto back starting.

My only criticism of QS is how he's using Burke right now. It's not fair to have him sit for 38 minutes and then come in and be instant offense - doesn't work that way with a feel shooter like Trey.

The PG situation is obviously in flux - I understand giving Mack a chance because he came on board and made such a positive contribution his first game. But after that and 5 starts he has 18 assists and 18 turnovers - you can't have those #'s from a PG for a team that doesn't take care of the ball to begin with. Not to mention Mack can't hit the open 3. This guy is not a diamond in the rough - there's a reason why he's played so little in his career up to this point. It was worth a shot but at this point I'd rather see Neto back starting.

My only criticism of QS is how he's using Burke right now. It's not fair to have him sit for 38 minutes and then come in and be instant offense - doesn't work that way with a feel shooter like Trey.

You can't be a "feel" shooter and shoot as poor of a percentage as Trey. If he needs lots of minutes and shots to get his feel, he is essentially unplayable. He has to learn to adjust or he won't be in a rotation again in the NBA.

You can't be a "feel" shooter and shoot as poor of a percentage as Trey. If he needs lots of minutes and shots to get his feel, he is essentially unplayable. He has to learn to adjust or he won't be in a rotation again in the NBA.

Understood - that's pretty much my point. Right now (at least against Boston and Toronto) QS is hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with Trey in that he'll come off the bench after sitting all game and shoot the Jazz back in at the end. That's a ****ty strategy and would probably fail with most NBA players.

I refuse to contribute to that awful thread started by JimLes. This deserves it's own thread because the essence of this one is utter SUPPORT for Coach Quin Snyder.

For me, the inserting Shelvin Mack into starting lineup/rotation after the trade is truly the FIRST thing I've disagreed with Coach Snyder about.

I cannot believe this thread even exists and refuse to read through it for the sake of not breaking my computer screen. Coach Snyder is the best thing to happen to the Jazz organization since they traded up for Deron Williams.

Snyder installed a system which gave this group an identity on the court. If any Jazz fans aren't convinced of that importance, just go back and watch a game the Jazz played when Tyrone Corbin coached and get back to me. It is obvious that Dennis Lindsey is using the Spurs model in many ways. Clearly having three hall of famers has been critical to San Antonio's reign over the last decade, but the system/identity/culture is also NECESSARY to their success.

The foundation for the Jazz is in place with an amazing coach like Quin Snyder and some players who seem to be future All-Stars. I think it's obvious to all Jazz fans that the team still needs a few more players to be contenders.

I mentioned it in the Raptors game thread but in my opinion Ingles, Chris Johnson, Shelvin Mack are not NBA players - certainly not players who should be logging significant minutes - and at least two of those guys have gotten significant minutes all season. Add the countless injuries to the Jazz stud players to an incomplete roster, and it should become obvious how effective Quin Snyder is as a coach given the fact the Jazz are in the hunt for the postseason.

Getting in the playoffs this year is crucial for the Jazz to take the next step. The core needs that experience for a variety of reasons. In this draft especially, there is not much difference between picking 13 or 14th and 15th/16th.

I cannot wait to see how the Jazz respond to this recent losing skid, and finish out the season. The Jazz have shown some amazing potential specifically on the defensive end this year at full strength. Give them a taste of the postseason and add in a potentially devastating defender at point guard next year (Exum), and the sky is the limit for Coach Snyder leading the Jazz.

Comparing Quin to Corbin is disingenuous. Corbin was a **** show, and using him as a litmus test to say Quin is good is ridiculous.

I think players like Quin, and respect him. I think he is a good teacher and good with player development. I think his Xs and 0s leave a lot to be desired. You say Quin installed a system. A system of little more than screens and search dribbles. I actually like Quin, and he may eventually become a good coach, but I hate the offense we currently run, and I think the players don't like it either.

I think Quin is frustrated with Trey's D. I think benching Burke is one of the best things Q has done. It sets a precedent. You don't put it together on both ends, you sit. Ingles has been limited for the same reason.

Comparing Quin to Corbin is disingenuous. Corbin was a **** show, and using him as a litmus test to say Quin is good is ridiculous.

I think players like Quin, and respect him. I think he is a good teacher and good with player development. I think his Xs and 0s leave a lot to be desired. You say Quin installed a system. A system of little more than screens and search dribbles. I actually like Quin, and he may eventually become a good coach, but I hate the offense we currently run, and I think the players don't like it either.

I am curious to see where the offense goes when exum gets back. I think this offense works better with the triple wing running it.

On that note I also think ingles should run point once in a while. He is a great distributor.

My complaint about QS is why he doesn't utilize Withey more when Gobert is resting. The dude absolutely deserves more playing time.

My complaint about QS is why he doesn't utilize Withey more when Gobert is resting. The dude absolutely deserves more playing time.

Withey was 3rd string on a team that fired their coach after last season. We don't see what goes on in practice.

Snyder installed a system which gave this group an identity on the court. If any Jazz fans aren't convinced of that importance, just go back and watch a game the Jazz played when Tyrone Corbin coached and get back to me.

i sort of feel like the "system" to which you reference only became so out of luck, after Enes threw a tissy and we were forced to start Rudy and play him big minutes.. don't forget how big of a role quin gave enes, and how many wins it was producing. If enes held his tongue we'd likely be still running the same "system" that had us tens of games below .500.

Also, (and i am a tyrone hater), for the record, Ty and his **** storm produced a pretty similar record to Quin's "system" thus far (.46 win% for quin, .43% for Ty).

just sayin.

i sort of feel like the "system" to which you reference only became so out of luck, after Enes threw a tissy and we were forced to start Rudy and play him big minutes.. don't forget how big of a role quin gave enes, and how many wins it was producing. If enes held his tongue we'd likely be still running the same "system" that had us tens of games below .500.

Also, (and i am a tyrone hater), for the record, Ty and his **** storm produced a pretty similar record to Quin's "system" thus far (.46 win% for quin, .43% for Ty).

just sayin.
I think Rudy would still have made Enes expendable. He would just be in Portland instead of OKC.

Snyder will get a 3rd year, just as Corbin got a full 3rd year. However there will need to be significant improvement made from the current product we are seeing on the court otherwise he will not last beyond next season. Nobody is expecting a championship contender from the current team, but not making the playoffs this year especially in a year when you might be able to get in with a losing record would be a huge huge disappointment.

Withey was 3rd string on a team that fired their coach after last season. We don't see what goes on in practice.
Well, even if Withey plays like **** in practice, it obviously doesn't translate into actual game action. Withey has produced everytime his number has been called.

The mess at pg is on DL.
And so is the lack of a strong bench. Quin is by no means an elite coach. And his intensity may very well wear thin in a few years. That said, there's not much he can do when players are continually bricking shots. It's up to Lindsey to find personnel. And he's refused to build any kind of bench since he's been here.

Unfortunately, with a passive ownership situation, it would take a real f up by Lindsey for him to ever be held accountable - or years of losing and declining ticket and merchandise sales. Quin could very well get Hornasacked in a couple of seasons by Lindsey - if that's what it takes to save Dennis' hide.

What does what happened to him on another team matter? No, we don't see practice but we do see the games, which is more important, and Withey definitely deserves time on the court.

To be honest, the way Rudy has been playing lately in some stretches (he's obviously favoring that knee), we might be better off with Withey on the court.

I think Rudy would still have made Enes expendable. He would just be in Portland instead of OKC.

I ran into Enes Kanter yesterday at the Four Seasons in downtown SF. Thunder were here to play Golden State. Guess the OKC stay at Four Seasons when they are there. Didn't really talk much aside from cordial greetings. But he did only play a few minutes last night.

I don't really care where he went, as long as it was away from here. Sometimes you truly do get addition just by subtraction.