What's new

Culture of winning or tank?

Win or tank?

• Total voters
Oh ok but I remember us beating them in the final game of the season that led to the coin toss that we eventually lost? Did I remember that right?
No, they lost against someone else (Spurs, and they had to fight them for it), but I seem to recall some other year where we won the final game to put us in a coin-toss or something. That said, I also seem to recall we lost a spectacular trainwreck in Kobe's final game that also gave us a better pick.

You could probably do the same thing for any scenario. Winning championships is hard. Best way to do it is to have the most talent.
How many teams in the last 50 years won the championship based simply on heart, hustle, scrappiness, and gumption rather than having the most talent?

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Toronto and Detroit.

Kawhi was probably the best player in the league that season for Toronto.

I'll give you that Detroit team with Rip, Chauncey, Big Ben, Wallace, Prince that upset Kobe/Shaq in the Finals.
Yeah but as a team there were definitely more talented teams than Toronto. Milwaukee for one. But Toronto came on strong at the right time and scrapped their way to the ring.

A. It was a hypothetical question. In the hypothetical you do get to buy the lottery ticket.
It wasn't a hypothetical, it was an analogous question, ie, the Jazz tanking is like buying a lottery ticket.

A hypothetical would have been more like "If you ran the Jazz, would you tank?"

B. You can enjoy a season of tanking. In fact you can even enjoy it more than a season of trying to win. We were trying to win last season. I thought last season was not fun at all. It was very frustrating.
This season ther is no pressure and losses are wins. Thats pretty sweet.

I mean, yeah, that's what I'm doing. I'm just adding onto it that I'm going to enjoy wins as well, and I'm going to cheer for the Jazz to win when I watch, without getting heartsick over losses.

The way we talk about culture means next to nothing. It can be great one year, awful the next and vice versa. Culture is determined by results versus expectations, not the other way around.
By all accounts utah had a great culture and even that went up in smoke in a moments notice. Lol

They got Duncan through injuries and luck
If I recall, they continued to hold Robinson out even after he was over his injuries.
Of course, we went with the better choice and got Boozer, but we also got Memo.
We way overpaid for Okur but we got lucky that he was actually good. He was just an off the bench role player for Detroit playing 18-20 min a game. He came for the huge raise and a starting spot. Boozer was under contract but wanted more money so he tricked a blind man to get out of his deal then took the bag from the jazz. Lol

The talent pool in the NBA draft is starting to expand. You can definitely find studs mid lotto-late in the draft. This draft class is supposed to be deep with talent, so I'm certain with as much draft capital as we have we can make something happen.

If I recall, they continued to hold Robinson out even after he was over his injuries.

We way overpaid for Okur but we got lucky that he was actually good. He was just an off the bench role player for Detroit playing 18-20 min a game. He came for the huge raise and a starting spot. Boozer was under contract but wanted more money so he tricked a blind man to get out of his deal then took the bag from the jazz. Lol
Memo showed potential in Detroit though, that's what we signed him on because he wasn't taking Ben/Sheed Wallace's starting spot.

Yeah but as a team there were definitely more talented teams than Toronto. Milwaukee for one. But Toronto came on strong at the right time and scrapped their way to the ring.
Agreed but I really think you need a top 10 player to win a ring in today's NBA. Anunoby, Siakam, Van Vleet, Lowry, Gasol were all scrappy players but they don't win it all without Kawhi.

Memo showed potential in Detroit though, that's what we signed him on because he wasn't taking Ben/Sheed Wallace's starting spot.
The point is we had to over pay him. If he wasn’t behind two all stars we never would’ve gotten him. If Boozer hadn’t been money hungry, I doubt we sign him. Both Mitchell and DWill tried recruiting, both quickly realized that would never happen.

The point is we had to over pay him. If he wasn’t behind two all stars we never would’ve gotten him. If Boozer hadn’t been money hungry, I doubt we sign him. Both Mitchell and DWill tried recruiting, both quickly realized that would never happen.
Basically we got lucky with both those players signing here. There were even rumors K-Mart wanted to play here, but in the end he only said that to build leverage for a better deal, there wasn’t serious interest on his part.

I remember a few years back when we were playing the memphis grizzlies and they were tanking and marc gasol was having a monster game and they were in danger of beating us. So they sat marc gasol on the bench for the entire 4th quarter lol.

Basically we got lucky with both those players signing here. There were even rumors K-Mart wanted to play here, but in the end he only said that to build leverage for a better deal, there wasn’t serious interest on his part.
He was supposed to fly out for an interview and the Jazz canceled on him because they secured Boozer. He wouldn't have been flying to Utah if there wasn't interest.

So basically, you would be happy with having a solid team that makes the playoffs every year but doesn't necessarily have the high-end talent to win a championship? That's exactly what we've had the last 6 years. Wasn't the whole reason why we blew up the roster and started a re-build because being a good team but not a great team wasn't good enough anymore? Didn't we all want more? Aren't we trying to build a roster that can be a true championship contender? I don't want to half *** this rebuild, I'm all in on being bad in the short term if it helps us win a championship in the long term.
Except with the flattened odds you can't guarantee being bad in the 'short term.' Would you be on board with an 8 year playoff drought? I doubt OKC sniffs the real playoffs (non play in) before they start losing the assets they gained at the start of their tank like SGA.

I'm OK playing to get value for our 30 year olds, flipping them for draft capitol and under 25 year olds then working every day to improve the team from there. That way if you hit in the draft you have the team to do something before the star eats all of your cap. You would also have the assets to get missing pieces.