What's new

D-Favs appreciates the love

I'm probably one of the biggest Favors homers on this board, but I'm ecstatically happy for Derrick right now. He's always been an underappreciated and under rated player to me.

I hope there is some way they can find to fill up a contender roster that includes Favirs.

Can you imagine the broken hearts within the organization when they had their contract meeting? Having to state the obvious? "Look Derrick, you know our situation. We have to improve on the wing, on a guy who can create his own shots. And now we have Rudy. We love you man. We want to keep you but what are we to do? You're worth so much, but not enough. You understand, right? We have to remain flexible next summer, and that means we might have to let you walk, but want to keep an option open to selfishly collar you if we must".

Brutally honest meeting and I feel bad for a guy who has always stayed above the fray, worked his but off, and been genuine to fans. Milsap 2.0.

I hope there is some way they can find to fill up a contender roster that includes Favirs.

Can you imagine the broken hearts within the organization when they had their contract meeting? Having to state the obvious? "Look Derrick, you know our situation. We have to improve on the wing, on a guy who can create his own shots. And now we have Rudy. We love you man. We want to keep you but what are we to do? You're worth so much, but not enough. You understand, right? We have to remain flexible next summer, and that means we might have to let you walk, but want to keep an option open to selfishly collar you if we must".

Brutally honest meeting and I feel bad for a guy who has always stayed above the fray, worked his but off, and been genuine to fans. Milsap 2.0.
Going strong:eek:
#dontlookback

They also gave him a 8 mill a year raise as a thank you/compensation. A 66% increase.

I don’t feel bad for him at all. Wish I got that kind of deal.

I genuinely doubt it went like that. Favors only real weakness is his lack of a mid-range to 3p shot. Otherwise, he does everything else you'd want in a big man and he plays multiple positions. Plus the Jazz worked to repair the relationship with him and you don't make that kind of investment with a guy you are planning to jettison. But there's no denying there's room for improvement. So I think the Jazz went into the off season with the contract idea. 18m is an overpay somewhat. Favors real value is close to 15m on a team because he is a starting caliber type of center for a lot of teams in the league. That said, if he manages to develop a 3p corner shot that he can hit on volume, he solves our stretch 4 issues and becomes worth that contract (if not slightly undervalued).

I like the comparison to Horford because his shot developed over time, similar to Derrick, but he really busted it out in 2015-16. Not lethal, but it's respectable enough that you have to take that into account. Derrick can very easily do the same because there is some semblance there and his mechanics aren't bad. He's dealt with some injuries which hurt his development some. Now that he's injury free and playing for 2nd contract, he's got every reason to park it in the corner this summer and launch away. Plus Favors is a genuine team guy at his core and he knows that Utah needs it desperately. If he makes it work, it only increases his overall capability and Utah will run more plays for him. If not, we go shopping in 2019 and there's no harm to Favors because he got a nice payday out of it.

We'll see what happens, but Utah is very much giving Derrick the first opportunity to be that guy we need.

They also gave him a 8 mill a year raise as a thank you/compensation. A 66% increase.

Contract negotiations are not "giving a raise". The two are completely separate situations.

Also, it was a $5 mil increase, not 8, and since his salary was front loaded that's not even an honest increase number. It was more like a $3 mil increase in practical calculations.

I'm probably one of the biggest Favors homers on this board, but I'm ecstatically happy for Derrick right now. He's always been an underappreciated and under rated player to me.
I am/have been one too all along. There is no Jazz player that I love more than Favors when you count everthing including attitude. When the day of his retirement comes the Jazz should honor this example of a franchise player with the best of their capabilities.

Hell yeah. I am getting ready to start a new job and I will get maybe a 10% bump out of it, maybe 12% depending on negotiations. I would LOVE a 66% raise. **** yeah.

Contract negotiations are not "giving a raise". The two are completely separate situations.

Also, it was a $5 mil increase, not 8, and since his salary was front loaded that's not even an honest increase number. It was more like a $3 mil increase in practical calculations.

He got 12 last season, and is getting about 18 now. About 6 million more this year. Not sure why I put 8 lol

As for me saying raise. Fine, we amicably gave him several million more a season for his troubles in a new contract. Something we didn’t have to do.

You’re welcome Favors.

Glad he’s back but I don’t “feel” for him at all.

Hell yeah. I am getting ready to start a new job and I will get maybe a 10% bump out of it, maybe 12% depending on negotiations. I would LOVE a 66% raise. **** yeah.

Not sure why I said 8 when it’s 6. So a 50%. But still lol

It was 11 last year but would have been close to 13 if structured traditionally. He basically got paid $2 mil for last season' production 2 years in advance.

His contract is 16 per with 15% in bonuses, which are likely unlikely as they almost always are.

He got 12 last season, and is getting about 18 now. About 6 million more this year. Not sure why I put 8 lol

As for me saying raise. Fine, we amicably gave him several million more a season for his troubles in a new contract. Something we didn’t have to do.

You’re welcome Favors.

Glad he’s back but I don’t “feel” for him at all.
How much is your pride, dignity, honor and integrity worth?

Money is nice. We all want as much of it as we can get, but it doesn't compensate you for anything and everything. Favors was going to get millions one way or another ("regardless"). The social world and a person's emotional self don't go away because of money.

But yeah, we don't need to feel sorry for him. I doubt he wants us to feel sorry for him.

What I like about his resigning is that he was the only player on the team you could put on the heavy weight centers of the league. Faves can defend guys that Gobert just cant. If Faves gets the corner 3 down he will be a huge factor for utah.

Favors just said on the radio he expects to shoot more threes at the 4 and 5 this year. He also said that was a big part of the conversation in Atlanta was his ability to stretch the floor.

He also said him and the coaches have very up front conversations. The coaches emphasized they are not going to judge him on stats.