What's new

Dame Time

My guess is Dame eventually winds up with the Heat. I'm so sick of players being able to dictate where they want to go in trades. We're already at a major disadvantage in free agency, and now it's going to be difficult for us to land a star through a trade, even with all of our assets. It's just frustrating.

I really don’t think Portland would send him to Miami for goodwill if we have a definite better offer.

That is a weird argument to make. Murray should have made it over Conley in 2021 and obviously his knee injury through a wrench in his ascension to being an all star the last couple years. Last year he got off to a somewhat slow start shaking off the rust from not playing 1 1/2 years but by midseason he was clearly playing at an all star level. In the playoffs though he has been near superstar level which is something that can't even be said about Lillard.
Post ASB Murray: 33.5 mpg, 19.4 ppg on 56.4 TS%, 53.9 EFG%, 7 apg, 3 rpg
Lauri last season: 34.4 mpg, 25.6 ppg on 64.1 TS%, 58.7 EFG%, 1.9 apg, 8.6 rpg
Playoffs Murray: 39.9 mpg, 26.1 ppg on 58.6 TS%, 54.5 EFG%, 7.1 apg, 5.7 rpg

Lauri destroys him in the regular season comparison even ignoring the "rust" factor, and is actually quite a bit better at scoring both in volume and efficiency than even playoffs Murray.

I don't think people realize just how good Lauri was last season. His numbers were prime-MVP Dirk tier.

I really don’t think Portland would send him to Miami for goodwill if we have a definite better offer.

I really hope you're right because we could obviously very easily beat the Heats best offer. I just have a feeling it will end up being a 3 team trade that lands Dame in Miami, but I would love to be wrong.

My guess is Dame eventually winds up with the Heat. I'm so sick of players being able to dictate where they want to go in trades. We're already at a major disadvantage in free agency, and now it's going to be difficult for us to land a star through a trade, even with all of our assets. It's just frustrating.
It won't be difficult at all to land a star in a trade once we actually have more established players. Right now we have a bunch of young guys that we really like but haven't really proven much or anything when talking about our rookies. It is hard to sell someone on coming to play with 5 guys that haven't done much but will be relied upon to provide quality depth.

To ignore age and injuries is just flat out homerism. The odds of Lillard regressing gradually year by year over the next 4 years is extremely high. The odds of his body breaking down more often over the next 4 years is also extremely high. That is reality and to act like that is some weak *** argument is just stupid. It is a major concern that even the biggest Lillard homer should have.
Dude, reading comprehension.

I never said Dame will be the only player in the history of sports not to regress with age. What I’m saying is to date, he’s not injury prone and I firmly believe that he has 3-4 more years of extremely high level play in him.
You disagree? That’s fine but quit making **** up and putting words in my mouth.

In a year or two I think we are more established and will be a suitable alternate choice… like we will never be first on the list but if walker and Lauri were more established as well as Hardy’s rep grows… we get in these convos.

I was just making sure to throw that out there. The Miami offer will have to be beat by a fair margin to be the winning bid.

Herro, 2 picks, 2 swaps (not a ton of value), Jacquez, Lowry for Dame and Nurkic. Lets say Portland routes Jacquez and Herro to Brooklyn for Ben Simmons and just one suns pick.

To me it means we'd have to put Sexton, KO, THT, 3 firsts for Dame just to "match"... then does Hendricks or another first close it. To me that is likely the offer that is the winning bid that Portland says "eff it... we will piss Dame off".

If Herro just can't be recycled for a pick even if they take back ****** salary... then we might get away with the Sexton/KO/THT plus 3 firsts... IDK its a significant cost... so I'm only doing it if he begrudgingly decides its fine.
I'm with you here. I think it's Hendricks that makes our possible offer better than others, and that may be too rich for the Jazz. You lose Hendricks and KO, then you once again have an extremely thin frontcourt, even if the headliners are potentially very good.

Too much happy talk on here that the Jazz can easily beat any other offer without specifying what Portland would actually want. I think Hendricks is probably their #1 target.

In a year or two I think we are more established and will be a suitable alternate choice… like we will never be first on the list but if walker and Lauri were more established as well as Hardy’s rep grows… we get in these convos.

I agree with this. Still not sure we will be able to land any of the top tier stars like Luka or Giannis but it will make it easier to land guys in that next tier like Dame.

Last edited:
I agree with this. Still not sure we will be able to land any of the top tier stars like Luka or Gianis but it will make it easier to land guys in that next tier like Dame.
Luka maybe Giannis I think goes to a big market if he leaves Milwaukee. I think Luka will be primarily about winning cuz he likely ain’t getting a chip in Dallas.

Depends on what qualifies as a "dude" cuz that hasn't quite worked in Portland. I think it helps you recruit some "guys" but a "dude" well maybe not.

I do think people have a hard time when considering moves that don't make us an instant favorite or don't have like a 5 year window. If we did land Dame... the next few steps could be easier.

I think that, with very few exceptions, everyone qualifies as that dude. It might not make the deciding difference to actually get the player, but whether it’s Giannis or the really good minimum guy the chances of them wanting to play for the Utah Jazz are greater if Lillard plays for the Jazz. It’s no secret that this generation of stars prefers to team up together.

The only real reason there’s hope that Dame would want to play here is that we have Lauri to begin with. Great players want to play with great players.

Post ASB Murray: 33.5 mpg, 19.4 ppg on 56.4 TS%, 53.9 EFG%, 7 apg, 3 rpg
Lauri last season: 34.4 mpg, 25.6 ppg on 64.1 TS%, 58.7 EFG%, 1.9 apg, 8.6 rpg
Playoffs Murray: 39.9 mpg, 26.1 ppg on 58.6 TS%, 54.5 EFG%, 7.1 apg, 5.7 rpg

Lauri destroys him in the regular season comparison even ignoring the "rust" factor, and is actually quite a bit better at scoring both in volume and efficiency than even playoffs Murray.

I don't think people realize just how good Lauri was last season. His numbers were prime-MVP Dirk tier.
I hate when people try to cherry pick numbers and don't give the whole picture. Also I am well aware of how good Lauri was last year. Lets actually look at Murrays numbers from January to the end of the year to get a real picture of how well he was playing. Another thing to consider with Lauri since you want to focus so much on TS% is that in November and December Lauri had 2 of the most insane shooting months that we have ever seen from any player in nba history and that is probably not repeatable. The last 3 months of the year we saw a gradual decline in those percentages. That isn't a knock on Lauri because he was great but I don't think any of us expect him to ever have a 2 month shooting stretch like that again in his career.

January- 22.1pts, 5.8asts, 4.6rbs, 48.1%fg, 45.1%3pt
February- 25.2pts, 7.7asts, 3.8rbs, 47.1%fg, 37.1%3pt
March- 20.2pts, 7asts, 3.9rbs, 44.2%fg, 43.6%3pt
April- He only played 3 games and one of which was only 9 minutes since the nugs had the 1 seed rapped up.

My take is essentially this:
  • The only reason to add Dame now is if we're fairly certain he makes us an immediate contender
  • Dame, despite his brilliance, doesn't do that by himself, unless we have a high-quality team around him (not just a few high-quality pieces)
  • We cannot have a high-quality team to put around Dame if we lose much of our depth in any trade for him. We can't just have three front-court rotation-level pieces with no depth.
  • You basically need three of THT, Sexton, Clarkson (even if he could be traded, which I'm not sure of), and Olynyk to make the $$ work. We can survive as a high-quality team if that's the only depth pieces that are moved. But,
  • Portland has no particular use for any of those players (other than as expirings/trade pieces). They will want more.
  • Portland will especially want young frontcourt talent (Hendricks, at the least, if not Kessler).
So I think it becomes actually quite difficult to trade unless somehow Portland is only concerned about draft picks (which I think is unlikely).

I hate when people try to cherry pick numbers and don't give the whole picture.
I only "cherrypicked" Murray's 2nd half of the season because you said, and I quote, "Last year he got off to a somewhat slow start shaking off the rust from not playing 1 1/2 years but by midseason he was clearly playing at an all star level."

This "cherrypicking", by the way, made Murray look better, not Lauri.

Lets actually look at Murrays numbers from January to the end of the year to get a real picture of how well he was playing. Another thing to consider with Lauri since you want to focus so much on TS% is that in November and December Lauri had 2 of the most insane shooting months that we have ever seen from any player in nba history and that is probably not repeatable. The last 3 months of the year we saw a gradual decline in those percentages. That isn't a knock on Lauri because he was great but I don't think any of us expect him to ever have a 2 month shooting stretch like that again in his career.

January- 22.1pts, 5.8asts, 4.6rbs, 48.1%fg, 45.1%3pt
February- 25.2pts, 7.7asts, 3.8rbs, 47.1%fg, 37.1%3pt
March- 20.2pts, 7asts, 3.9rbs, 44.2%fg, 43.6%3pt
April- He only played 3 games and one of which was only 9 minutes since the nugs had the 1 seed rapped up.
lol

"If we remove Lauri's best months and only focus on Murray's best months". And this guy says I'm cherrypicking?

A couple pods have also mentioned DA also may delight in blocking Riley from getting Dame… I would not discount the chance that DA is partly in these convos to make sure Riley pays full price.

A couple pods have also mentioned DA also may delight in blocking Riley from getting Dame… I would not discount the chance that DA is partly in these convos to make sure Riley pays full price.

I wouldn't put it past Ainge to be that petty. I forgot that Ainge and Riley hate each other.