What's new

Danny Ainge vs Masai Ujiri Trades

DA haul for Donovan is looking better and better all the time. for just Donovan DA got us Markkanen, Sexton, Ochai, unprotected picks in 2025, 2027 and 2029, and swaps in 2026 and 2028.

View: https://x.com/TheDunkCentral/status/1747701871140032936?s=20

Both were on expiring deals and not willing to resign with the raptors.

Apparently Anunoby has not agreed to extend with the Knicks, so there is more risk.... but according to Woj Siakam is "looking forward to signing a new contract with the Pacers"

Both were on expiring deals and not willing to resign with the raptors.

Apparently Anunoby has not agreed to extend with the Knicks, so there is more risk.... but according to Woj Siakam is "looking forward to signing a new contract with the Pacers"
Pretty sure Siakim was willing to re-sign, even desired to. He wanted the super max.

DA definitely the master of timing and Massai definitely missed the best window to move his guys… multiple times. Probably missed out on 3 or so firsts they could have had between Lowry, FVV, trading for Poeltl, and waiting on Pascal and OG.

DA definitely the master of timing and Massai definitely missed the best window to move his guys… multiple times. Probably missed out on 3 or so firsts they could have had between Lowry, FVV, trading for Poeltl, and waiting on Pascal and OG.
Weird thing for Toronto:

Do they tank this year to keep their pick or do they try and win so they get rid of the commitment to San Antonio so they can 100% keep their 2025 pick (which is also top 6 protected)?

Weird thing for Toronto:

Do they tank this year to keep their pick or do they try and win so they get rid of the commitment to San Antonio so they can 100% keep their 2025 pick (which is also top 6 protected)?
Too good to tank (this year anyway)... just play it straight and let the chips fall where they may. Only way they drop and stay bottom 6 is if there is a big injury or they get lotto luck. Even if they get to 6 they could get leap frogged.

Too good to tank (this year anyway)... just play it straight and let the chips fall where they may. Only way they drop and stay bottom 6 is if there is a big injury or they get lotto luck. Even if they get to 6 they could get leap frogged.
So should they sell the Detroit pick for someone to help them be better? They have a huge depth hole at the 4/5 with that trade.

So should they sell the Detroit pick for someone to help them be better? They have a huge depth hole at the 4/5 with that trade.
I wouldn't unless it was a piece they are keeping for a couple years. I think they could trade Trent Jr. for some help at 4/5 but I wouldn't make it a priority. Maybe they'd do KO for Boucher and 31 if they don't want his money. Not ideal to have 3 picks in the 20-31 range but I wouldn't sell one off yet unless it was a good long term deal.

Forever and ever, my man.
I don't even need a trade to happen for me to brag about it...

Them "hey our numbers last quarter were a little rough"

Me "yeah but remember when DA buried two teams in huge trades the same offseason"

Them... blank stare... long pause... slight nod "Yeah that was a haul"

I have no problem with comparing the DA trades with others. However, the real winner of trades has little to do with how many "assets" you get but what the impact is on winning a championship. For me, It is way too early to take a victory lap on our trades. I recall last year how many on this board thought Kessler was better than Rudy and headed to the HOF - maybe that will still be true but we have seen enough this year to question the euphoria of last year. Most on this board has now bought into Sexton but the sample size for me is too small to determine if he has really matured into a good decision maker - which was a huge flaw last year. There is a lot that needs to transpire before we know if our trades were good relative to others or even relative to what we would have been without making the one or both of the trades.