What's new

Dante Exum re-signed

Sorta feels like we're outbidding ourselves with these signings, lol. Neither guy had reported offers or interest from anyone else.

Gotta keep up the team morale. If they play well they'll be worth their contract and then some, possibly. I like that the Jazz didn't take an adversarial position. We are too good of a team to risk unhappy players. And why not spend the money?

Gotta keep up the team morale. If they play well they'll be worth their contract and then some, possibly. I like that the Jazz didn't take an adversarial position. We are too good of a team to risk unhappy players. And why not spend the money?

I get that, but teams DEPEND on getting good value deals. Only way to be successful because we arent getting free-agents at discounts. GSW started the domination when curry was underpaid. Hopefully DM is enough of a bargain

I think Exum's team knew we weren't about to let him get away and we didn't want to mess around. If Dante doesn't get hurt it's at minimum a good contract.

I feel like I was right and most of you were wrong :)

(Having said that, I always doubted Quin's faith in Exum. For that I was very wrong too)

Dante Exum has agreed to terms on a 3 year/33 million

Honestly Jazz may be being too nice. Hope there’s a team option on that last year.

Talk it up.. too nice.
Your man Mitchell is going to love having Exum around to do all the hard yards on the perimeter :)

Simmons

But the real answer is whoever can get a good 3 point shot. So it might end up being Exum soon!
I see the odds of Simmons getting a "good" 3 pt shot in the next 3 years being about as likely as a foot of snow in Hawaii in that same time span.

Surely the object is to neither sign your player to the very bare minimum you can get way with, nor the amount they may wish. A happy medium both are content with seems the case here. Those saying he might have had no offers and we could have got him for very little would have really happy employees if they ran a business. Low balling may get you the player, but not one that is happy to be in your organisation or who feels valued, conversely demanding more than you are worth would not make the employer happy with you. I don't see the issue with this deal?

Depending on the contract details, it looks the Jazz spent right up to the tax line. DL might have another move or two.

Adding Bjelica would probably cause Jerebko to be traded or cut. And I still feel like there’s a better than 50% chance that Burks gets traded here at some point.

Who is Dante Rxum ?

Yes, and he wasn't good for large parts of it.

I'm not saying he won't manage to play 82 games (although he might not) I just don't think he'll be able to bring it to the point where he'll be a consistent starter for a whole season.
I'm looking forward to three more years of MVP liking these kind of posts.

I kind of miss getting negged repeatedly too :)

This is insane, imo, and I apologize to whomever it was I mocked for saying Exum would get $12M. The Jazz are really doubling down on the whole Exum as a legit prospect/cornerstone thing. Hope I'm wrong, but I disagree.

Rubio

Were you hoping for his roster spot?

Exum to a big extent is still a projection, but what is being projected is extremely tantalizing, I've compared the idea of what he can be to a PG version of Giannis and he's had some intriguing flashes. He has a ton of skill, length, athleticism... but there are things that are stopping him from realizing that ceiling and things he desperately needs to improve(handle) in order to get a chance at stardom.

Before he got injured I thought he was going to push Rubio for his starting spot this year and by the way Rubio was playing and shooting before February I think this was a good bet.

It's a small sample(14 games) to end the season, but his per 36 numbers were extremely promising - 17.5 pp36, 4 rp36, 6.6 ap36 on 57% TS and this is without him shooting particularly well(28% from 3). He had huge FTr and he began attacking the rim this year like we expected him to when he was entering the league. If he stabilizes his handle, iMO you cannot stop him from getting to the rim(or breaking the paint and forcing the help to abandon his man, thus resulting in assists). He's just too quick for most guards in the league.

With all that said, make no mistakes - the Jazz paid for what Exum can be and expect him to be, not for what he is right now.

I'm good with that deal. Hopefully if he breaks out like I expect one of these years he will remember that the Jazz were the team that showed faith in him and stood by him throughout all his injuries.