What's new

Dante Exum re-signed

I don't consider this a huge gamble. It's $11M, which is 11% of the cap. Jazz will still have expirings Lindsey can deal at the deadline. He can also clear enough cap space for a max contract FA if needed. Counting Exum, and excluding Favors, Neto, Rubio and all the other expiring contracts, Jazz would be at ~$63M. Add in next year's 1st and minimum roster spots and that's still <$70m, Also, I'm sure Crowder would be easily tradeable if needed.

Even if Exum is a complete bust, $11m is not really going to prevent Utah from making any moves they want.

Thinking that 11% of the cap is not that big of a deal, is the same thinking that got all these teams in trouble who overpaid scrubs when the cap jumped.

11mil or 11%, however you want to put it is a big deal. If that becomes a dead and wasted contract, it handicaps your team much more than your are letting on.

Thinking that 11% of the cap is not that big of a deal, is the same thinking that got all these teams in trouble who overpaid scrubs when the cap jumped.

11mil or 11%, however you want to put it is a big deal. If that becomes a dead and wasted contract, it handicaps your team much more than your are letting on.

Yup. It was too dumb for me to even bring it up earlier.

Considering 2 stars (in a 3 star league) cost 50-65% of the cap, and you generally need those two to both be worth 35% each on any team... 11% is a huge cap commitment to a benchie.

Utah is in a unique position where it might not hurt them too much. He expires the same season before DM and RG next contracts.

Yup. It was too dumb for me to even bring it up earlier.

Considering 2 stars (in a 3 star league) cost 50-65% of the cap, and you generally need those two to both be worth 35% each on any team... 11% is a huge cap commitment to a benchie.

Utah is in a unique position where it might not hurt them too much. He expires the same season before DM and RG next contracts.

Couple things...
1. Jazz have a max slot next season despite this "huge cap commitment"
2. It's not as much a "unique position" as intentional
3. Jazz of course will probably LIKE to stay out of the luxury tax, especially if we can't land another star, but we don't need the cap space to resign those guys since we have their Bird rights

This really is a decent contract to keep around a great defensive PG with offensive upside. People are overreacting, our flexibility is still intact.

Also I firmly believe our path to success if we can't land a star is our depth and defensive identity. Dante fits.

It's risk vs reward. Risking 11 mil/11% of the cap for 3 years, without it being prohibitive to making additional moves, for what Exum could become is a no-brainer imo. And a lot of that risk is mitigated by the fact that he already provides value as a defender. If he's healthy, I don't see how this deal doesn't work out in our favor. Worthwhile risk imo.

A contender for post of the year, absolute top shelf quality and all you can summon is wtf ?? Shame ! No VORP rating, no PER, RPM, LGBTQIABCD, win share rating for this post ??

Y’all love some teen date-rape murder scenarios round these parts I guess.. I don’t have any metrics for that. Maybe you could start with a Rorschach test.

Exum at 11m vs Payton at 2.7mil? You are thinking with your heart and not your brain.

I'm watching the game against the clippers when he blocks bob the cave troll. If he plays like he did at the end of this season he's worth 11 mil.

I'm watching the game against the clippers when he blocks bob the cave troll. If he plays like he did at the end of this season he's worth 11 mil.
I am not talking about how much he will be worth in the future, I said this deal is given purely on potential...watch Payton drop 29 pts on us 2017 season... at 2.7mil/year it is much better value than Exum at 11 mil.

Y’all love some teen date-rape murder scenarios round these parts I guess.. I don’t have any metrics for that. Maybe you could start with a Rorschach test.

Now I got shrinks that will not rest with their endless Rorschach tests
I keep telling them they're out to get me
They ask me if I feel remorse and I answer, "Why of course!
There is so much more I could have done if they'd let me!"
So it's Rorschach and Prozac and everything is groovy
Singing La la la la La la la lie
All God's children they all have to die
La la la la La la la lie

He only breached a gmsc of 10 (league average), 3 of his 14 games to end the season, and finished with negative offensive and defensive bpms. I really hope he plays better than that.

He only breached a gmsc of 10 (league average), 3 of his 14 games to end the season, and finished with negative offensive and defensive bpms. I really hope he plays better than that.

I thought he was good, especially since he was coming back off an extended lay off. Played with confidence which i think is the most important thing with dante.