What's new

Dante Exum vs Marcus Smart

Exum has a higher ceiling for sure but I have to go with Smart. Adding him to this defense would take us to another level immediately as he wins games with his intangibles (def awareness, loose balls, clutch, intensity,etc). Especially in the 4th qtr. Plus, he fits well with Mitchell & Allen.

As long as he stays healthy, I see Exum becoming the better all-around player. But imo Smart's impact in our system would be greater than Exum's can likely ever be. Health, plus the fact that Exum's offensive game/physical tools is such that it is best utilized by having the ball in his hands, which is not how our system operates, make me lean towards the safe gamble.

Especially since we're competitive now & would have him under contract for 4 years. Love Exum's potential tho & am good either way.

I think he might stall our offense so badly though... I think there is some diminishing return on adding another good defensive player to an already elite defense... not sure it'd make enough of a difference.

I was surprised a team like Phoenix didn't get him though (Smart) a team that has no defensive identity could really use a guy like that.

Plus his intensity, aggression, hustle, etc. would fit perfectly with this team. Specifically Allen. No backcourt in the league would enjoy playing against those two.

High ceilings make for a difficult light bulb change, as well as infuriating smoke detector battery changes.
They are pretty though, and a talking feature.
That's something for Dante's hired help to worry about.

Biggest ifs are can he stay healthy and can he shoot the 3. Given the price points and what we need I'd rather have Dante. The questions are real... but if he fails on those fronts we are still okay.

I somewhat agree on the health part, but I think that is true of all NBA players. Its a risky game to play and injuries are a part of it. Maybe Exum has a slightly higher chance of being hurt than the average NBA player but not much.

I fully agree on the 3 point shooting. But I think it is more of how good he will be. I think Exum can be a really good player if he can become a solid 3 point shooter. If not he will be a good player that comes off the bench and can score in bunches at the rim and play defense.

I somewhat agree on the health part, but I think that is true of all NBA players. Its a risky game to play and injuries are a part of it. Maybe Exum has a slightly higher chance of being hurt than the average NBA player but not much.

I fully agree on the 3 point shooting. But I think it is more of how good he will be. I think Exum can be a really good player if he can become a solid 3 point shooter. If not he will be a good player that comes off the bench and can score in bunches at the rim and play defense.

On the injury thing... both plays were injuries sustained on impact and the shoulder was wrong place wrong time... literally nothing he did on that play was wrong.

The only thing that gives me pause is he doesn't seem to know how to fall or is awkward at times and leaves himself exposed. Not reckless per se... but like Tony Parker, Manu learned how to fall and would limit the damage impact had as they drove. Just worry his instincts are not great with that regard. Every time he goes down it looks bad... maybe I just worry more when he goes down.

In spite of the injuries he's had he has made improvements to his game... I'm encouraged by his progress.

I think he might stall our offense so badly though... I think there is some diminishing return on adding another good defensive player to an already elite defense... not sure it'd make enough of a difference.

I was surprised a team like Phoenix didn't get him though (Smart) a team that has no defensive identity could really use a guy like that.
There's some truth there. Smart would likely need to be smartly (pun intended) utilized/paired with on the offensive end due to his shooting . And QS would need to get him to work on his shot selection. (Which might not be possible if Stevens has been unsuccessful thus far. Though he has improved some, just not as much as you would like considering his deficiencies)

Also, I agree that adding another defensive-minded player may not be as impactful as a true #2 option, stretch 4, etc. But I don't think this defense has peaked. And, even more so than his defensive abilities, adding his personality/intensity to this roster would be doubling down our biggest strength. Which makes sense in this case imo as if we're ever going to get past GSW, etc, it's going to be because of our defense.

Smart is a good player but he pretty much is who he is at this point, I don't think he has a lot of improvement left. Dante still has a to of room left for improvement and definitely has a higher ceiling than Smart.

I'd take Exum and it's not all that close. I think Exum is just as good now and has a much higher ceiling. Why would you pay more for a similar impact player who has a lower upside?

Only Jazz fans would take Dante's ceiling over Smart. But thats ok, we have a saying back home "Hope is a mother of the stupid"...

Smart is offensively gimped, languishing in sucktitude, while Exum is heading in the right direction. As usual I trust you have zero statistics to back up your claim.

Exum TS:
year 1: 46%
year 2: 52%
year 3: na
Year 4: 57%

Smart TS:
year 1: 49%
year 2: 46%
year 3: 49%
Year 4: 48%

Exum shows very good things sometimes, no doubt. But, I,m not sure that he could have success at 1 ( ls not a general on the floor, ball handling, shooting), at 2 ( is not a killer, shooting) or at 3. I know he is young but i don´t see that "star instinct". Pros: defense, speed,height., youth.
Maybe i´m wrong, but i´m not sure he will meet your expectations.

Good luck for the Jazz next season

Hyping up Exum's 14 games is funny. He only had 2 decent games, and that stretch was a cakewalk. Lakers twice, clippers, Golden state twice and both games they rested, pho, sac, dal, min... no really tough time teams at all. And still Dante only had a couple of half decent games. One against GSW's bench of nobody's where the big 4 never touched the court.

Reactions: MVP
Smart is offensively gimped, languishing in sucktitude, while Exum is heading in the right direction. As usual I trust you have zero statistics to back up your claim.

Exum TS:
year 1: 46%
year 2: 52%
year 3: na
Year 4: 57%

Smart TS:
year 1: 49%
year 2: 46%
year 3: 49%
Year 4: 48%
14 games in year 4 bro, but if you want to play this game how about you tell me his FG% on mid range jumpers and 3pt shots? How is that heading into right direction?

14 games in year 4 bro, but if you want to play this game how about you tell me his FG% on mid range jumpers and 3pt shots? How is that heading into right direction?

14 games gives him no time to shake off the rust, so its actually even more impressive. I have been an Exum doubter for a long time, but I'll take him over Smart who looks to be a career sub .50 TS player.

14 games gives him no time to shake off the rust, so its actually even more impressive. I have been an Exum doubter for a long time, but I'll take him over Smart who looks to be a career sub .50 TS player.
There is more to player than TS. Smart has 10x bigger balls than Exum ever will grow. Exum = little baby deer. Smart = freaking honey badger.

thing about Smart is that, at times, his lack of offence (or offence decision-making) makes him borderline unplayable.

Dante mocks as someone who, even if he's not doing much out there, would rarely be a negative out on the court. Well, that's contingent on his three-point shooting-- because if it continues to suffer, then he's a -ve on offence.

Jury is still out on these two. As many have said-- Smart with the much better floor, Dante with the better ceiling.

Dante mocks as someone who, even if he's not doing much out there, would rarely be a negative out on the court.

But vs OKC in playoffs as soon as he would step on the floor ( and maybe because for some reason Snyder would play him him with Crowder) our offence would go cold instantly. He did better vs Houston though because of more free flowing offence and run and gun style. But in half court offence - we were in trouble.