What's new

David Aldridge's offseason rankings

MrMojoRisin

https://www.nba.com/news/features/d...the-top-10/index.html?ls=iref:nba:specialst3a

Has the Jazz ranked #3 (for off season moves)

The Millers. The longtime owners of the franchise, starting with the patriarch, Larry Miller, who died in 2009, have some big decisions to make about the team's future, and soon. Gail Miller, Larry Miller's widow, is now the owner of the Larry H. Miller Group of Companies, which includes the Jazz. Her son, Greg, who was the Jazz's CEO, stepped down last year, though he is still on the Board of Directors. (Brothers Steve and Bryan are also on the Board). Collectively, they'll have to decide just how deep Utah wants to get into the waters of the NBA's new salary structure. Utah is more than $12 million under the cap for next season, and could use that space as other teams around the league have done, renegotiating and extending its current players, like forward Derrick Favors. Or, the Jazz could use it to extend the newly acquired Hill, who'll be an unrestricted free agent next summer. Utah will also have to decide how much it's willing to spend to keep its young core of Rudy Gobert, Rodney Hood and Gordon Hayward together. Hayward will likely be an unrestricted free agent next year if he opts out of his current four-year, $63 million deal, as many expect him to do. Larry Miller wasn't cheap, but he often grew weary of Hall of Fame power forward Karl Malone's constant gripes about his contract while playing in the 801. It's a new day in the SLC, but is there a new attitude?

I was figuratively beaten about the head and shoulders a couple of years ago by Jazz fans, who didn't like me ranking their squad 29th out of 30 teams in offseason moves. As I tried to explain then: it wasn't that Utah did anything wrong that summer -- it just sat on its hands. You have to actually do something to be ranked high. This summer, Utah did, sending the 12th pick to Indiana for Hill, who will ultimately get a new deal with the Jazz to make him the point guard for a while, and ease the return of 2014 first-rounder Dante Exum, coming back after missing all of last season with an ACL tear suffered playing for the Australian national team. Johnson is 35, and his best days are behind him, but he could do for Utah what Paul Pierce did for the Wizards a couple of years ago -- give the Jazz a legit end-of-game option, and give a young team someone who's been in a whole bunch of playoff games. Diaw, whom the Spurs sacrificed to be able to sign Pau Gasol, will give coach Quin Snyder a point forward/center through which he can run his offense. Utah has a nice mix now of its own young veterans like Gordon Hayward, Rodney Hood, Rudy Gobert and Derrick Favors, and old heads with stories to tell, meals to buy and damns not to give when a game gets close.

Still think his blanket assertion that not making moves prevents you from a high ranking. But nice piece, Thanks.

Still think his blanket assertion that not making moves prevents you from a high ranking. But nice piece, Thanks.
The Jazz had the opportunity to add assets without giving anything up BEFORE the jump in the cap. Doing nothing was a mistake.

It's an argument that's probably been had about 3000 times on this forum.

I for one enjoy that this offseason means that we won't get anymore "Dennis Lindsey is a terrible GM" posts from GVC anymore

It's an argument that's probably been had about 3000 times on this forum.

I for one enjoy that this offseason means that we won't get anymore "Dennis Lindsey is a terrible GM" posts from GVC anymore
What is it with you being a dishonest ****? I never said anything like that. Unless, that is, stating repeatedly that there was still work to be done, and that I was withholding judgement, is equivalent to saying someone is 'terrible.'

mgwEu93.gif

For the record.

I was commenting a general way about the writers statement that you have to do something to get a high grade. Sometimes holding pat is a mistake. I wasn't arguing the grade as much as his overly general reasoning for the grade. (X is bad. Well no, X isn't always bad even though it was in this case)

I'll agree that I think the Jazz made a mistake last year. But DL more than fixed it this year IMO.

For the record.

I was commenting a general way about the writers statement that you have to do something to get a high grade. Sometimes holding pat is a mistake. I wasn't arguing the grade as much as his overly general reasoning for the grade. (X is bad. Well no, X isn't always bad even though it was in this case)

I'll agree that I think the Jazz made a mistake last year. But DL more than fixed it this year IMO.

He explicitly said offseason moves not offseasons.