What's new

David Locke is a Clown

Quin isn't THE problem. But he is A problem. Let's be frank, the Jazz have run the same schemes for years and gotten their balls busted by teams who know exactly what's coming and how to beat it. For some weird reason, fans put Snyder on this pedestal despite the fact he gets run out of the God d*amned building every year by a team that can exploit it. And he does nothing to seemingly counter it.

The Mavs go 5 small, like Houston, like the Clips, and we can't exploit this or counter? A bit of perimeter D maybe so Rudy doesn't have to rotate off the help? Drive the lanes to exploit the lanes? Get their "bigs" in foul trouble?

Eventually, this ceases to be a personnel issue and has to be a planning problem. Quin is a very good coach, but I suspect his inability to adapt is a large problem.
Frankly a competent zone, or zone switching defense, or x-out defensive scheme would counter small-ball pretty well, but we can't play zone or anything remotely like it to save our lives. That's on Quin too. Never seen a team so clueless in basic switching and zone defense. It's obvious they rarely if ever practice it. Again, thanks Quin.

The problem with many coaches is that they think they're smarter than they actually are and because of that, refuse to adapt or see their coaching as the problem. A significant amount of coaches are narcissists, especially if they even have marginal success and that really impacts their ability to adjust or move away from their original thinking. They're right. Everyone else is wrong. The most stubborn of coaches are the ones who frequently fail the hardest because they actually had a level of success at one point, as opposed to being like Ty Corbin and in over their head from the start.

Sloan was stubborn to a fault too and I think it undid his career at Utah and the NBA, forcing him to abruptly resign. The thing is, I do believe he had a second epiphany after the Stockton and Malone era came to a close that kept him from flaming out once that era closed. There was a lot of talk back in 2003 that Sloan would ride off Into the sunset, especially a year later when Bobbi died and the Jazz missed the playoffs for the first time under him.

But I think her death changed him and he adapted. He became more open and understanding, which boosted him through that final leg and allowed for him to mentor Williams and Boozer and sustain a level of success that didn't seem possible when Stockton and Malone left.

Sure, Sloan was still Sloan and how he handled Williams rookie year wasn't fantastic, but Sloan in 2007 was not the same Sloan we saw in 2003.

The thing is, he kind of got back to that point by the end there and I think was just too old to adapt again, so he quit.

Quin seems even more stubborn than Sloan and he's half the coach Sloan was. In the end, I just don't see how it works out at Utah. Even if he comes back.

The thing is, he kind of got back to that point by the end there and I think was just too old to adapt again, so he quit.
He would also have been in the beginning stages of his Alzheimers. It was probably getting too hard just to keep up.

The problem with many coaches is that they think they're smarter than they actually are and because of that, refuse to adapt or see their coaching as the problem. A significant amount of coaches are narcissists, especially if they even have marginal success and that really impacts their ability to adjust or move away from their original thinking. They're right. Everyone else is wrong. The most stubborn of coaches are the ones who frequently fail the hardest because they actually had a level of success at one point, as opposed to being like Ty Corbin and in over their head from the start.

Sloan was stubborn to a fault too and I think it undid his career at Utah and the NBA, forcing him to abruptly resign. The thing is, I do believe he had a second epiphany after the Stockton and Malone era came to a close that kept him from flaming out once that era closed. There was a lot of talk back in 2003 that Sloan would ride off Into the sunset, especially a year later when Bobbi died and the Jazz missed the playoffs for the first time under him.

But I think her death changed him and he adapted. He became more open and understanding, which boosted him through that final leg and allowed for him to mentor Williams and Boozer and sustain a level of success that didn't seem possible when Stockton and Malone left.

Sure, Sloan was still Sloan and how he handled Williams rookie year wasn't fantastic, but Sloan in 2007 was not the same Sloan we saw in 2003.

Quin seems even more stubborn than Sloan and he's half the coach Sloan was. In the end, I just don't see how it works out at Utah. Even if he comes back.
I would like to see Quin coach a different roster. As a coach it’s hard to adjust out of things when you don’t have the personal to do so. When you have the Best defender in the world why would you go away from building your defense around him? When you have a young player who has shown playoff greatness when it comes to scoring why wouldn’t you put the ball in his hands at the end of game?
I thought Quin did a great job when he got here getting players to play above where people though they should have. I think most of the blame for our short comings fall on the Front office not Quin. I think Quin has crutches that are a problem. Royce isn’t the defender Quin needs him to be. We have 2 6’1” guards that he expects to be able to get in the paint and make the right play and that’s hard when your that small. He obviously expects to much of Rudy being the clean up guy. But I think he can be a good coach if he has a more balanced roster to work with.
So like Sloan when he lost Stockton and Malone we was able to change. I think Quin might be able to do the same