What's new

David Locke: OTHER BIGS (Free Agents)

Twin Towers

https://www.nba.com/jazz/features/locked_on_jazz.html

OTHER BIGS

Kevin O’Connor has been honest that the Jazz need another big and he would like a veteran big. Yesterday, one of those went of the market when Kwame Brown signed with Charlotte.

Most of you cringe when you here Kwame Brown, but he would have been a good fit for the Jazz as a 4th big. Jazz need a little defense and 6 fouls.

The remaining veteran bigs on the market is a slim list. The best on the list include, former Jazzman Jarron Collins, DJ Mbenga, Rasho Nesterovic and Etan Thomas.

Collins is interesting because he knows the system, is tough and knows how to play.

Mbenga is still raw after playing limited time in LA. In November last year Mbenga played 30 plus minutes in back to back games and had 25 rebounds combined in those two games. (He also had 8 blocks in those 2 games)

Nesterovic is big (7’1) and experienced. At 34 years old, he may be drifting away from playing but it was just two years ago that he was a 8 points, 5 rebound guy for Toronto in 21 minutes a night. That would be ideal for Utah.

Thomas may be the best defender of the group and best shot blocker despite being 6’10 260. In 2007 he had a career threatening battle with an irregularity in his heart. In the last two seasons his career as not really regained its footing, playing just 49 games and a 11 minutes a night. Prior to the set back he was a nearly 20 minute a night back up big man who was a strong rebounder and good defensive banger.

I deleted Nazr Mohammed from this post (still under contract with Bobcats. Come on Locke)

I really like Mbenga actually.

This was from 2 years ago. I am sure he improved a little bit playing with the Lakers the last 2 years.
https://www.draftexpress.com/profile/D.J.-Mbenga-3473/

Just his size and athletic ability and huge wingspan would be great. He also knows the Lakers front court very well after playing with them for 2 years.

One thing to consider is that most teams expect there big guys to score on there own. The Jazz set up our big guys to score very easily which would help him finish at the basket (problem in his past).

Defensively I personally think he is better than Fesenko.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ3KhhuG4ik

Last edited:
It's Collins. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This particular part may as well have come/will come out of KOC's mouth:

Collins ... knows the system, is tough and knows how to play.

There's a 10% chance Collins isn't here next season. To avoid a mini-PR problem, we will bring him in to camp and passively not waive him. If we were to sign him for the season, which is our intention, it would risk upsetting people that he was our move for a big man. Criticize away.

It's Collins. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This particular part may as well have come/will come out of KOC's mouth:

There's a 10% chance Collins isn't here next season. To avoid a mini-PR problem, we will bring him in to camp and passively not waive him. If we were to sign him for the season, which is our intention, it would risk upsetting people that he was our move for a big man. Criticize away.

This is exactly what I think will happen. I'm not a Jarron Collins hater but would not really be excited for it. Just meh

I honestly disagree just because we have heard it straight from KOC's mouth that we need a shot blocker. If KOC never said that than I would say ya it will be Collins.

anyone remember Jarron Collin's off balance three pointer from a few years ago, it just barely beat the shot clock. I tried looking it up on youtube but couldn't find it. Prodigy would you have it?

I honestly disagree just because we have heard it straight from KOC's mouth that we need a shot blocker. If KOC never said that than I would say ya it will be Collins.

I see what you're saying and I agree, but that is precisely why he is inconspicuously brought into camp rather than having it announced that we signed him for the season. If we sign him for the season, everyone panics at the fact that instead of going out and getting a shot blocker we went out and got Collins. If we subtly bring him into camp, nobody raises any concern because he's 'just brought to camp' and isn't 'the answer' and that they're 'still looking' for a shot-blocker. When that shot-blocker never gets obtained, Collins stays on the roster and everyone defaults to 'there was nobody available' and that it's okay that we keep Collins around because he 'knows the system and works hard'. I'm not stating an opinion on this either way -- I'm just calling how it's going to play out.

I would be happy with Mbenga. I think he would be a decent backup C until Okur gets back. He has size and can rebound and block shots. I prefer him over Fes but even if we sign Fes it would be nice to have another seven footer on the team. As far as Jarron Collins goes, HELL NO!!!

I would take ANY of those guys over "Tree" Collins. Even 34-year-old Rasho.

"Knowing the system" is a very small advantage compared to having the potential to go in and shake things up a bit. Tree doesn't have that potential (a few flops in a feeble attempt to draw charges notwithstanding). Mbenga (even at 30), Thomas (even at 32--but would he sign for the veteran league minimum?) and Rasho (despite 19000 NBA minutes) might.

Etan Thomas is the best of that list, which also doesnt say much. But I am not sure if the Jazz will go after him. He will be a good fit though in terms of the toughness and defense the Jazz are looking for.Everyone else sucks.

anyone remember Jarron Collin's off balance three pointer from a few years ago, it just barely beat the shot clock. I tried looking it up on youtube but couldn't find it. Prodigy would you have it?

I'm calling Bull on this one.

I'm calling Bull on this one.
Since Jarron Collins is 0-5 for his career on threes, Bull would be the correct call.

Jason Collins, however, is 6-30.

The shot description sounds more like this shot by Millsap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LFuKwckV-g

Every team in the league is looking for a shot blocking C - we have for been looking for years with no luck. Won't be surprised if Collins is back in town when the other options don't work out.

DJ+Mbenga+poses+with+the+Lakers+2010+NBA+Championship+trophy.JPG

From what I've seen, Amundson would be by far the best option. Don't understand why the Jazz don't go after him and shed Gaines and Jeffers in the process to get enough to pay him.

I asked Locke about Mikki Moore and he said that Mikki was in the running, he had just forgot to include him on the post. He knows the system, would come cheap, and is a vast improvement over Collins.

Besides, he WANTS to play for the Jazz again.

Last edited: