What's new

Game Thread Dec 20, 2021 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Hornets

Added to Calendar: 12-20-21

Tbh, I don’t really enjoy watching 53 3-pt shots. I think they’d have to make an absurd number of them to change my feelings about that.

It’s especially bleh when the opponent takes 43. I feel sort of anesthetized.
It was a lot more fun watching the plays with Rudy under the basket.

I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out the identity of this team.

It's a long season and just getting into the playoffs is paramount, but I'm honestly not seeing a lot of confidence in our ability to close out games right now. Our defense on the perimeter is just not good enough.

Clarkson was a -9 today. He's just not shooting the ball well this season.

It's a long season and just getting into the playoffs is paramount, but I'm honestly not seeing a lot of confidence in our ability to close out games right now. Our defense on the perimeter is just not good enough.

It's a re-run from 2 years ago, except that now everyone is older. Kind of like the late seasons of Sex and the City.

Jazz simply have to look for some perimeter defense/stretch four support. They don't grow on trees, but it's awful to watch.

Royce shoots 1-for-9 and everyone praises him. I appreciate his rebounds as much as the next guy, but if we think we can't get more from a 30-minute player we're kidding ourselves.
He had a lot of deflections tonight and was pretty active. He shot terribly and so did other guys. Royce was not the problem tonight at all.

We played down to our competition.

Good news is Bogie played well; wondering what his value will be at the deadline.

Clarkson was a -9 today. He's just not shooting the ball well this season.
What a coincidence, they can't figure it out either. They have the pieces, and sometimes the system, to straight up destroy teams, but since they don't really have any clear direction or tactical gameplay they flounder a lot.

It makes me think of the defensive line I was on in high school. We had great mid-field coverage and pass rush, when we stuck to our play calls. But we had some really athletic big dudes and sometimes we would just go rogue because plays are hard. So this would sometimes work, but more often than not we would miss assignments and allow some big plays. But if we got back to our sets and ran them efficiently, we were very very hard to score on. This team is like that. They have plays that require precision and vision and selfless play, but then they have the ball and the lane is open, kind of, so let's go, and then that is the norm for 5 straight minutes while guy after guy tries to force **** against 3 collapsing defenders, and everything bogs down, no movement, no motion, maybe a draw a kick for a short shot-clock hail mary, and we can seem to figure out why we can't score all of a sudden. And at the same time the defense just stops taking that extra step, making that extra play on the ball, and letting guys get to any spot they want, and we can't figure out why we can't stop them. And Quin does little to reign that in.

I consider last night's win to be more luck than anything else. We got lucky they weren't hitting the wide open shots we were affording them, and we got lucky we hit some key shots down the stretch.

And, frankly, we are damn lucky to have Rudy on our team. He won this game for us in so many ways. He does that a lot. The fact that the guy gets no love for MVP is a travesty of the highest order.