What's new

Game Thread Dec 23, 2020: Jazz at Trail Blazers

Added to Calendar: 12-23-20

This will be very tough: Portland is a better team than a lot of people believe.
Nevertheless, this is a must win.
Key points:
  1. A good deal of effort at defense, especially perimeter defense.
  2. Creation of good 3-point shots.
  3. Second unit + bench players who can make the difference
Let's go!!!

Last edited:
This will be very tough: Portland is a better team than a lot of people believe.
Kay points:
Let's go!!!
Portland way worse team than people believe. If the Jazz dont win this comfortably I will be disappointed.

Portland way worse team than people believe. If the Jazz dont win this comfortably I will be disappointed.

They looked awful in pre-season. Nurkic looks bad. Almost no one tries on defense. Maybe they can flip a switch, but it looks like they're going to try to outshoot teams.

Game 1.... This will clearly test the coaching staff‘s initial mindset on how to use our perimeter defenders.
Rudy has looked a little more spry in pre-season to me... I think we see chip on his shoulder locked in Rudy this year. Would love to see us show just a little higher on some nights or at least alternate.

Hyped myself up last year for this offense with multiple options and a smooth flow. My son's birthday gift were tickets to the first game against OKC. We ended up winning but man was it a clunky game. I was thinking, damn, it's good to get a win out in a game that we played like we flushed paper towels down the toilet. But then that continued. Anything better than that tonight and it's a success.

Let the "This is the season when we get to see healthy Mike Conley" begin.

Injuries​

team logo

Utah Jazz
PlayerPosStatusDate
4246.png

Mike Conley
PGSore left achilles1/4
team logo

Portland Trail Blazers
No Injuries

Yep

Kay points:
Let's go!!!
What does Kay know about anything?

Hyped myself up last year for this offense with multiple options and a smooth flow. My son's birthday gift were tickets to the first game against OKC. We ended up winning but man was it a clunky game. I was thinking, damn, it's good to get a win out in a game that we played like we flushed paper towels down the toilet. But then that continued. Anything better than that tonight and it's a success.
I'm feeling pretty good about this. The clunkiness was related to Mike last year... DM gonna run more of the actions and Mike can't be worse. I think based on pre-season we are being a little smarter and just taking open threes when they are presented to us.

Just hope we keep the good vibes going... a clunky let down would make me so flaccid. Even if we play well in a loss I will be happy... just please don't look like ****.

It’s much more likely that the bubble’s effect related to depth perception—better visibility of the rim, in particular.
Interesting, I had never thought of that.

I think there is probably something to idea that players were also just generally more focused on basketball rather than travel, day-to-day life, and the obvious going out and partying at (strip) clubs that probably degrades the quality of the game more than we understand.