What's new

Game Thread Dec 23, 2023 05:30PM MT: Jazz at Raptors

Added to Calendar: 12-23-23

I was at a family party tonight and only checked the score sporadically. Didn't check during the 4th quarter since I figured we were still losing. Pleasant surprise when I saw the final score.

Plan to watch the 4th quarter tomorrow.

I was watching the game and then when I came to read this thread the comments were so far off from what I saw it was just weird...
  • I mean make no mistake we were better in the half-court from the very first minute and they were just lucky to get that big early lead. Lauri wasnt doing any superhuman stuff but he found lanes for his drives and cuts from the first quarter on as our spacing worked great. Raptors tried to play super aggressive defense but they didnt make many plays and instead played themselves out of position more than few times.
  • The three reasons Raptors were ever ahead in this game was Scottie Barnes turning into Steph early, them getting super lucky on the boards in both ends early and their transition offense, which was killing us for 2.5 quarters.
  • After we started defending the fast break better and their rebounding/shooting luck ran dry they were dead in the water. They couldn't create good looks in the half-court and couldn't defend our motions.
  • Clarkson and Lauri with vintage games. Raptors had no answer for Lauri and while both guys took some contested ones they also found open spaces.
  • Dunn was really good in the 4th quater and paced our offense AND our defense while letting both JC and Lauri cook. Even made both of his 4th quarter 3s.
  • Kessler had a great game even though in the first half he lost a few rebounds to Raptors hustling.
People who wanted Dunn + Clarkson to be the starting pair in week 1 have to feel a bit validated by this game.... However its just 1 game so we shouldnt read too much into it. Beating Raptors is kind of this teams thing, just like beating the Pelicans.

Also, man that inbounds steal by Lauri was funny.

I think with a trade or two we can be a playoff team. Right now we are a play in team when healthy, in my opinion.
I agree, we need at least 2 trades to be good. With this team i do not think we can even go into play-in. At West i believe the 9 and 10 th will ended with a 42/43 win.

I agree, we need at least 2 trades to be good. With this team i do not think we can even go into play-in. At West i believe the 9 and 10 th will ended with a 42/43 win.
Unfortunately all signs point to us being sellers at the deadline again. I'll be shocked to my core if Danny brings in any reinforcements.

Man, we've had a lot of lineups in the last 3 weeks.

It's looking like Keyonte may have lost his starting position.

I know it's JazzAvenues job but I decided to open one of my Christmas present quotes early:

"We had zero answers offensively once Kessler got real minutes anchoring their zone. No idea why he didn't start and saw so few minutes in the first half."
Agreed.

I couldn't watch much of the game but you cannot start Collins and Olynyk together in the frontcourt as a regular thing. You might get away with it against the Pistons but defensively that frontcourt will get torched by most teams.

Honestly I'd almost rather get the 10th pick in this upcoming draft and take Kevin McCullar than lying to myself about how good Matias Buzelis can be in 4 years.

Honestly I'd almost rather get the 10th pick in this upcoming draft and take Kevin McCullar than lying to myself about how good Matias Buzelis can be in 4 years.
I think I would rather convey the pick this year

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk