What's new

Game Thread Dec 28, 2022 08:00PM MT: Jazz at Warriors

Added to Calendar: 12-28-22

And I watched the shot Sexton got benched for. It was a terrible shot. Sexton is a good mid-range shooter because he generally takes good mid-range shots. That was not a good mid-range shot.

Sexton is so talented as a shot creator with his speed going downhill the BS he did on the shot was really unacceptable.

It was ONE ****ing shot. This is ****ing ludicrous.

It was ONE ****ing shot. This is ****ing ludicrous.
It's not just a shot, it's a decision, and not even a quick decision (where you can generally give more leeway for errors), one where the player held the ball and actively chose to go for a negative play. One decision can be completely game changing, like when THT took that erroneous 3 in the Denver game, which was essentially the final dagger in the coffin of his regular minutes.

It's not just a shot, it's a decision, and not even a quick decision (where you can generally give more leeway for errors), one where the player held the ball and actively chose to go for a negative play. One decision can be completely game changing, like when THT took that erroneous 3 in the Denver game, which was essentially the final dagger in the coffin of his regular minutes.

I’d say Clarkson’s decision to jump in the air without having a clear plan of where the ball was going and proceeding to throw it to the Warriors who then made an easy layup was worse.

I just want consistency with it.

I’d say Clarkson’s decision to jump in the air without having a clear plan of where the ball was going and proceeding to throw it to the Warriors who then made an easy layup was worse.

I just want consistency with it.
How on Earth would that be consistency?

Clarkson went to the rim and tried to make a play. The court was terribly spaced because Gay was sinking into the paint instead of staying spaced in the corner. All that play amounts to a mistake from trying to make something positive happen, not slowing the game down and going for a low percentage shot like Sexton did.

Watching Sexton play basketball in general is infuriating, so I get it. I think he might be a bit too old to be as moldable as Hardy probably hopes though, so maybe he should just let him do him more than he does.
It's worth remembering that Sexton is only a few years removed from being the de facto franchise player / alpha dog for the (tanking) Cavs. He was the face of the team and had a never ending green light. It seems incredible now as we watch a 34-year-old rookie head coach berate him like he's a rookie. I guess they might be going for some "break him down and build him back up" thing, but that's a huge gamble.

I gave Sexton a lot of s**t a while back and thought he was the worst kind of backcourt tweener (I still do, actually), but since then I've grown to like him a lot, if not all aspects of his game.

How on Earth would that be consistency?

Clarkson went to the rim and tried to make a play. The court was terribly spaced because Gay was sinking into the paint instead of staying spaced in the corner. All that play amounts to a mistake from trying to make something positive happen, not slowing the game down and going for a low percentage shot like Sexton did.

Lol, I’m going to go look at some of the last second shots of previous quarters that Clarkson has taken.

One more tme.
Lauri played well i don't deny that but HE SELF MISSED WIDE OPEN 3 POINTERS AND EASY LAYUPS which should've went in.
Yes, Lauri shouldn't miss any shots. Ever. His December 52/51/88 splits are simply unacceptable.

As long as Lauri plays as expected and never misses another shot, the Jazz will win at least the next 10 championships or as long as he feels like playing.

The Jazz scored 13 points in the 4th. Conley/Beasley/Olynyk/Sexton went a combined 10/37 in the game.

Sometimes your star player can go to another level and pull one out of his *** without any help. That's not something you can or should expect to happen every night. Not even from a superstar and Lauri isn't one of those yet, and it's not fair to expect him to be. He's getting better all the time. In October he was 31 % from 3 and got to the line 3.9 pg. Now in December that's 51 % and 5.9 fts.

Watching Sexton play basketball in general is infuriating, so I get it. I think he might be a bit too old to be as moldable as Hardy probably hopes though, so maybe he should just let him do him more than he does.
I think its chaotic at times but he has gotten better at controlling the chaos or getting shots for other guys out of the chaos. I could find it maddening to a coach if they aren't getting the benefits of the chaos... we are and will has to live with some of the mistakes.

I just thought that mid range shot was a weird place to get mad. He was trying to get to the rim and it got walled off... so take the midrange shot rather than forcing all the way back to the three point line. The shot quality while running the clock down to zeros is generally pretty ******... especially when the defender has a mental clock running. Just weird to get so animated about that one while Rudy Gay out here shooting turnarounds and 3s with 15 seconds on the shot clock that illicit zero reaction.

Collin's defense in the first half was what bothered me. He left guys open for no apparent reason... in no man's land. They mostly missed the shots so the result wasn't horrible but I was just like "what are you thinking about right now?" Fine with Hardy jumping on his *** there... and he did.

Yet sexton is probably our most consistent guard lol.
But on any given possession you aren't confident he will make good choices... but I think you just have to take the good with the bad and work to smooth over a smidge of the bad.

But on any given possession you aren't confident he will make good choices... but I think you just have to take the good with the bad and work to smooth over a smidge of the bad.

I don’t really agree with that. It’s not like he’s a turnover machine and he’s super efficient scoring.

Why do we continue letting Rudy Gay jack up threes without any repercussions? He’s literally made 9 out of his last 54 attempts.
Omg Gay has shot 54 threes this season? For realsies?

I figured it out!!! We play Gay to hide our true 3PT ability to throw off our opponents analytics departments in preparation for a deep postseason run!

Or not.

29 points and 16 rebounds from lauri and you point to this game as the example of why he isnt an all star. I dont think any player in nba history has averaged 29 points and 16 rebounds and not made the all star game. Hell, if he played every game like last night he would be an mvp candidate.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

He is playing like an all star. He is literally the most efficient scorer in the nba and is averaging all star level numbers. I get that you want him to be even better. But he is playing like an all star.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
I’m not bashing him, and he’s really good. There’s just things I see him not doing that other teams stars do like putting their best foot forward. Maybe all he needs is for Clarkson to be traded. But it’s concerning to me that he always starts fast then can barely shoot 5 times all second half. I’d rather he start slow. I just want him to act more like JC or Beasley does in the second half. I want to see him not give the ball up and not give up on a play and get to his spot when he faces up and gets one on one opportunities he sometimes gives up before he should. Right now I’m very comfortable calling him a very good player. I’m sure he can get to stardom level. He’s just lacking. He often disappears in crunch time.

After last night's chuckfest Beasley is now shooting 37.4% for the season on 3's.

Sexton is now shooting 38.7% on 3's for the season.

Obviously Beasley takes a much higher quantity but it's interesting nonetheless to see who is actually shooting at a higher %

Agree to disagree. When I think of what Sexton will do on any given possession i figure he will either score at the rim, score in the mid range, get to the line, or make a good pass to a teammate. Im usually pretty confident that he will make one of those choices and i think all of those choices are good. He is a very efficient player who doesn't turn it over much and is less of a chucker than beasley or clarkson. I would take the choices he makes over most players on the team.

I’m not bashing him, and he’s really good. There’s just things I see him not doing that other teams stars do like putting their best foot forward. Maybe all he needs is for Clarkson to be traded. But it’s concerning to me that he always starts fast then can barely shoot 5 times all second half. I’d rather he start slow. I just want him to act more like JC or Beasley does in the second half. I want to see him not give the ball up and not give up on a play and get to his spot when he faces up and gets one on one opportunities he sometimes gives up before he should. Right now I’m very comfortable calling him a very good player. I’m sure he can get to stardom level. He’s just lacking. He often disappears in crunch time.
I didn't say you were bashing him. you were saying he isn't playing like an all star. you were wrong about that since he is playing like an all star. Especially last night. 29 points and 16 rebounds are all star numbers. Thats just a fact.