What's new

Definition of Insanity

TheGoldStandard

2022 Prediction Contest Winner
Sometimes I think it is being a Jazz fan. Despite abhorring watching the crap lately, I will never quit being a fan of this team, even if it has become somewhat unwatchable. I think this has to make me insane.

Maybe this forum should by called The Asylum.

Being a sports fan is completely illogical and could be defined as crazy. Being a Jazz fan is probably at the far end of the spectrum of sports fan insanity.

Unfortunately I don't believe you can really choose who you are a fan of. At least not as an adult. Living on the East coast now I've thought about trying to follow an East coast team, but truthfully there is no way I could be as passionate and invested in a team as the Jazz.

Being a sports fan is completely illogical and could be defined as crazy. Being a Jazz fan is probably at the far end of the spectrum of sports fan insanity.

Unfortunately I don't believe you can really choose who you are a fan of. At least not as an adult. Living on the East coast now I've thought about trying to follow an East coast team, but truthfully there is no way I could be as passionate and invested in a team as the Jazz.
I read an interesting article on this once in a psychology mag I subscribed to at the time. They talked about fandom being often formed when we are young and when our new experiences have a much stronger impression on our psychological and social development, and essentially the development of our sense of self, and in many people it becomes a part of their identity as a result. Which is one reason why fans get so, well, fanatic, and get an inordinate amount of joy from wins and why losses are soul-crushing, because it is manipulating our sense of self, which is at our core.

Anyway I probably paraphrased it all wrong, but that was the gist as I remember it. It is completely irrational.

I read an interesting article on this once in a psychology mag I subscribed to at the time. They talked about fandom being often formed when we are young and when our new experiences have a much stronger impression on our psychological and social development, and essentially the development of our sense of self, and in many people it becomes a part of their identity as a result. Which is one reason why fans get so, well, fanatic, and get an inordinate amount of joy from wins and why losses are soul-crushing, because it is manipulating our sense of self, which is at our core.

Anyway I probably paraphrased it all wrong, but that was the gist as I remember it. It is completely irrational.
Yeah, I'd love to read that article, makes a lot of sense. When I was a kid it was easy to be a fan. As an adult, it's almost like an addiction that I wish I could give up. Does way more harm than good (especially this Jazz team).

Hey..let me ruin this saying. It was Einstein's criticism of quantum theory/mechanics that was the source of this statement. So in general doing something again expecting a different result is kind of stupid unless there is something deeper to the process. Like quantum mechanics or getting stronger or getting more energized to fight or what have you. Yes this team has weakness but..let see them fight not succumb to those weaknesses.

Yeah, I'd love to read that article, makes a lot of sense. When I was a kid it was easy to be a fan. As an adult, it's almost like an addiction that I wish I could give up. Does way more harm than good (especially this Jazz team).
Damn that is so true. I just realized I can't. I will say having a kid has made it a bit easier, like in terms of prioritizing things, but I don't think the addiction will ever completely go away.

Damn that is so true. I just realized I can't. I will say having a kid has made it a bit easier, like in terms of prioritizing things, but I don't think the addiction will ever completely go away.
I have an addiction to basketball in general. I have basketball on the tv every day of the season at home, with a preference for college ball. My wife knew before she married me. There are worse vices to have. I will DVR games for big life events, unless of course it is the playoffs.

Growing up watching live games when I was lucky in the nosebleeds, or watching in low resolution was so much fun as a kid. My family has season tickets on the 4th row center, so I fly in a few times a year, but with how good the HD is, I actually prefer watching on the TV (thankfully NBALP through YoutubeTV has court noises only (no announcers) through SAP.

I have finally started playing 3-5 times a week again after close to zero playing for two years. It has definitely helped to remove some of the lethargy of the pandemic, and it has helped to remove most of the COVID "19" lbs I gained from sitting around for so long.

It is definitely an addition for me, and clearly is for many of the people that post on the Jazz so often on this forum. I both sympathize and reward you all for being part of The Asylum.

Holy hell goldstandard, I just realized why it's called covid19. That's how many pounds the average person probably gained during the lockdown!
Thanks for the insight.

Holy hell goldstandard, I just realized why it's called covid19. That's how many pounds the average person probably gained during the lockdown!
Thanks for the insight.
Haha, yep. A few of my basketball buddies really did put on about that much too, so probably some truth to it.

While I do some other activities that are good workouts (mtn. biking, ww kayaking, snowboarding) I don't do any of them consistently like I do basketball.

Hard to keep weight off when my only consistent form of exercise was shut down. Even after gyms reopened late last year, people didn't come back regularly until about now. Didn't realize how much I needed it until I started playing consistently again. Hope we don't have any backtracking.