What's new

Dennis Lindsay w/ some praise for Greg Miller

LifeOnaPlate

Great Woj piece here, I thought this bit was interesting. Here's Dennis Lindsay, who passed up other opportunities before choosing Utah:

“Greg Miller pulled me aside soon after I was hired and told me, ‘We’re operators, not traders. We’re value spaced, so we want to do something that’s fundamentally sound.’ That – and having [consultant and ex-GM] Kevin O’Connor sitting next to me – gave a young executive a sense of calm.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/jazz-back-warriors-get-used-seeing-playoffs-041131762.html

Translation: "We don't want to spend any money. Don't do it. Don't go after the guy that might put us over the top if it means we have to pay for it. Tell everyone 'organic growth' and leave it at that."

Luckily Dennis is good enough to work within those parameters and put a pretty damn good product on the court.

I thought this bit was legit GOLD:

“When you do what we did, you’re going to have people look at you. I was the biggest Paul Millsap fan. Under the right circumstances, I wanted Paul Millsap back. But Kevin made a good point: You can’t be duplicitous in building this team, so a lot of the process was allowing Gordon to shoulder the responsibility of the team. He’s grown into that. He was at that level last year, and now he’s taken it to another level.”

Seems to me KOC is still very much involved in mentoring and guiding Lindsey's decision. Not bringing Milsap back means Hayward needed to take the extra step to carry the team instead of just following the vet, and he did that this year.

Translation: "We don't want to spend any money. Don't do it. Don't go after the guy that might put us over the top if it means we have to pay for it. Tell everyone 'organic growth' and leave it at that."

Luckily Dennis is good enough to work within those parameters and put a pretty damn good product on the court.

I don't necessarily buy this. It's been around since the 90s. Who were we supposed to spend money on to help Karl and John? Names? We've gone into the tax before. Our biggest problem came from mismanagement of the roster (under KOC and Greg). When Larry died we really took a hit when Greg and KOC were manning the ship. Very glad it's out of both their hands. But I believe the Millers will spend money when they need to. We just don't have a very good example of them not -- but we do have plethora of anecdotes of KOC's passive nature waiting to see what other people do so he can react to it rather than being proactive that cost us.

I like how DL has 'partnered' with Woj in getting the word out about Utah just as free agency looms in the next couple of months.

It started with that interview about what DL wrote to the refs about missed calls, that interview lasted nearly 2 hours. Then there's this 'insider' article. DL is quietly promoting Utah as the new FA destination. Notice how in that article he's praising Quin, he's praising the ownership, he's praising the city, he's praising the fans.

Nicely done DL.

I don't necessarily buy this. It's been around since the 90s. Who were we supposed to spend money on to help Karl and John? Names? We've gone into the tax before. Our biggest problem came from mismanagement of the roster (under KOC and Greg). When Larry died we really took a hit when Greg and KOC were manning the ship. Very glad it's out of both their hands. But I believe the Millers will spend money when they need to. We just don't have a very good example of them not -- but we do have plethora of anecdotes of KOC's passive nature waiting to see what other people do so he can react to it rather than being proactive that cost us.

Please note that the article was about Greg, who has since been deposed, not Larry.

I thought this bit was legit GOLD:

Seems to me KOC is still very much involved in mentoring and guiding Lindsey's decision. Not bringing Milsap back means Hayward needed to take the extra step to carry the team instead of just following the vet, and he did that this year.

I get the logic in not bringing back Millsap. The chances were good both Favors and Kanter would surpass him. They were so young, highly touted picks, and bigger than Sap. Neither turned out to be as good as him, so ultimately, it was the wrong decision but I don't hold it against him.

I for one am still as giddy as a school girl that we got DL from the Spurs! He has not been perfect, no one is. But he has been a big part of leading our team from the Corbin years to relevancy and our first playoffs... and our first playoff win! Where are we with KOC or Layden or Isaiah Thomas at the helm? We have had more wins every season since he signed on with us. We can all see the development of MOST players.

The next decade should be A MAZE BALLS!