What's new

Dennis Lindsey "flexibility for the future"

Lakers_Slapper

Dennis Lindsey said that this trade will give us "flexibility for the future." Does that sound familiar? It should. Its been his key line behind any transition since he was hired as GM. In 2013 there was an interview with Lindsey regarding possible trades for Millsap or A. Jefferson. He again said that what ever happened we have enough assets that will give us flexibility for the future. In 2013 the future was now, The future for now is,,,,, anything beyond tomorrow. When will our upper management stop thinking 3 years down the road and start thinking NOW? 3 Years down the road is usually fine, but with the Jazz organization 3 years turns into 6, 6 turns into 9, so on and so forth. 40 is not the new 20 unless your 40 and your incomplete. Start seeing NOW!!
I don't think the question of whether trading Kanter was a good or a bad decision. He didn't want to play here, and the pros of the trade are obvious as far as some guys getting well-deserved minutes etc. We all should agree with that. The trade needed to happen. I think the better question is did the Jazz settle, accepting much less than they should have?? I think the answer is yes. I read the reactions to the trade and I see everyone agrees that it needed to happen. That's obvious. But its irritating that so many Jazz fans are contempt thinking that our management did everything they could to get everything they could for Kanter. I agree that you have to take the best deal before the trade deadline ends for Enes Kanter. But receiving as little as we did for him tells me that the Jazz didn't even shop him until maybe the final days leading up to the trade deadline.
There is no way that they shopped him for the last few weeks and that's the best deal that was available when all is said and done. The main piece we are getting in return is Perkins. He is not even that good of a piece for one. Second, we are releasing him from his contract so he can sign for a contender. What it boils down to is that we didn't receive any valued assets in return. You can argue that we now have cap space, but you don't trade a player who you drafted 3rd overall with a PER of 17.55 for cap space.
I know that I am going to get loads of hate for this post, but I am only saying what everyone is thinking or will think depending on when they get tired of hearing talks about the future.

mobile_sleep.jpg

I'm sorry, I know that reading something an entire 3 paragraphs long must be strenuous on your 3rd grade leveled brain. Especially when I used big words like "flexibility" and "the". Poor thing you must be exhausted. If it makes you feel any better, I never once had any hopes to engage in an intelligent conversation with you. In fact you exceeded my expectations by knowing how to post a picture instead of words as your reply. Who said picture books couldn't teach you anything?? Look at you go, you little engine that could!! <<---that's a book by the way. Hope you have a good night and just remember.......... A dog says.... bark! bark!

I'm sorry, I know that reading something an entire 3 paragraphs long must be strenuous on your 3rd grade leveled brain. Especially when I used big words like "flexibility" and "the". Poor thing you must be exhausted. If it makes you feel any better, I never once had any hopes to engage in an intelligent conversation with you. In fact you exceeded my expectations by knowing how to post a picture instead of words as your reply. Who said picture books couldn't teach you anything?? Look at you go, you little engine that could!! <<---that's a book by the way. Hope you have a good night and just remember.......... A dog says.... bark! bark!

You posted 1 run on paragraph with no formatting.

I copy a Jazz fan comment in a site after the trade that reflect well my thought:

"Looks like our position in the NBA is to help other teams be successful: Golden State, Atlanta, Portland, Oklahoma City, Detroit, Charlotte. Meanwhile, we get nothing in return. Great business model."

DL stop to fooling the fans with this story of future flexibility and cap space!

Last edited:
I'll be getting tired of it is D.L. fails to land any good free agents this off season that fit this teamand help the Jazz grow.

But I'm not overly worried. #BelieveInLindsey

"but you don't trade a player who you drafted 3rd overall with a PER of 17.55 for cap space. "

You do if that is the best you can get for him, and also if it improves your team in the future. Now, I am surprised and dissappointed that we could not get more for Kanter, but I also believe that was his value. Do you really think the management and DL are that incompetent that they could not get a good gauge of his market value? I would bet that you would be surprised at how many conversations there were and what the offers were.

Also, you are ignoring the fact that the Jazz got rid of a problem: one two many highly paid bigs, a guy who does not fit, and a malcontent. Once that you decide that you are better off without that player, you get rid of him, even at a diminished price. I wish we would have gotten a decent 3 and D guy, but I trust DL and QS to have made the right move.

I'll be getting tired of it is D.L. fails to land any good free agents this off season that fit this teamand help the Jazz grow.

But I'm not overly worried. #BelieveInLindsey

I'll judge this trade in 6 months. If this continued "flexibility" doesn't result in an impact free agent this offseason, this trade will be terrible, IMO.

I'll judge this trade in 6 months. If this continued "flexibility" doesn't result in an impact free agent this offseason, this trade will be terrible, IMO.

This is my exact stance. Good to know I am not alone.

Initially, I was disappointed we didn't get any immediate assets to help us. However, I know why DL did this trade. If he kept Kanter, Kanter would get even more disgruntled because Rudy would keep improving and taking more of his minutes. You would have to fork over 10 to 12 million a year to keep an inefficient player who doesn't produce wins. You would be stunting Gobert's development and probably Favor's development. Plus, this could prevent you from paying Gobert when his rookie deal is over. DL had to make a choice and his choice was Gobert and Favors. I think that's the right choice. I just wish we could have got Reggie Jackson or Dragic. Hopefully the 2018 draft choice could help DL move up in next years draft or trade for a good vet wing.

So, the Jazz would be better off holding a guy who does not fit and is unhappy, in the hope that the other 29 teams will come to their senses and realize that Kanter is as valuable as jazzfanz think he is, and not what a highly paid, experienced GM found his value to be by talking to other GMs? Got it. Addition through subtraction.

I still don't get how getting 4 assets, 5 if you count the cap space from the Perk buy out, is getting nothing in return.

I thought we just wanted a young player and a pick? Sounds like we got a lot more than we were shopping for, but whatevs.

It takes two to tango. Jazz may go after guys like Matthews, DMC, Middleton, McDaniels, etc. but there's no guarantee any of those players will sign with Utah. There was an INTERESTING comment by Lindsey about flexibility to take on contracts at the draft. Makes me wonder if something has been explored but Team B just didn't want to pull the trigger (or the Jazz want to make sure they don't move up into the top-3). The Jefferson deal was agreed to in principle at the previous deadline. KOC said all that was missing was an additional first, which he picked up at the deadline.

I think the Jazz feel they have plenty of youth and a "burgeoning core." DL knows they need quality, not quantity.

This is my exact stance. Good to know I am not alone.

This trade straddles the line at 'fine', for me.

- if Pleiss is legit, we easily win this trade
- if we nail a pretty good FA, we easily win this trade

If neither of the above happens, we still have assets (including three first rounders in a single draft) to make a splash.

All of this beats re-signing a big-man who a) would hinder the development of one of our best players; b) a player who doesn't really fit in our long-term scheme in any way, shape, or form.

And to those of you who seem to think that centers with okay offense & no defense would fetch value on the market with an 8 figure salary-- we saw what a rich man's Enes Kanter (Big Al) fetched when the Jazz traded for him.

So, the Jazz would be better off holding a guy who does not fit and is unhappy, in the hope that the other 29 teams will come to their senses and realize that Kanter is as valuable as jazzfanz think he is, and not what a highly paid, experienced GM found his value to be by talking to other GMs? Got it. Addition through subtraction.

I've learned some stuff that I actually put into practice daily, as a business owner, and thats the principle that you should never have your hand forced. It's your responsibility (in this case, Dennis') to read the tea leaves and be proactive, rather than reactive.

I'm sure you already know this and deal with similar conundrums daily.