What's new

Dennis Lindsey "flexibility for the future"

I've learned some stuff that I actually put into practice daily, as a business owner, and thats the principle that you should never have your hand forced. It's your responsibility (in this case, Dennis') to read the tea leaves and be proactive, rather than reactive.

I'm sure you already know this and deal with similar conundrums daily.

What about the principle of cut your losses? Don't throw good money after bad? Once you come to the conclusion that your team is better off with Kanter and that being rid of him sooner rather than later is the right path, you get what you can and move on.

It seems like a lot of guys here think Kanter was worth way more than what we got for him, even though most are glad to see him gone. They seem to think that we should have held him to eek a bit more value, even though that would be a negative for the team from here until he was gone.

I've learned some stuff that I actually put into practice daily, as a business owner, and thats the principle that you should never have your hand forced. It's your responsibility (in this case, Dennis') to read the tea leaves and be proactive, rather than reactive.

Exactly. If Kanter really was the problem that he appeared to be, our front office should have known about it before Kanter asked for the trade. They should have been shopping him, and trying to trade him before that when they could still get top dollar. Mistakes happen, and this was one of them. We got an ok return, but it is most certainly not as good as it should have been, and that blame resides soley on DL.

What about the principle of cut your losses? Don't throw good money after bad? Once you come to the conclusion that your team is better off with Kanter and that being rid of him sooner rather than later is the right path, you get what you can and move on.

It seems like a lot of guys here think Kanter was worth way more than what we got for him, even though most are glad to see him gone. They seem to think that we should have held him to eek a bit more value, even though that would be a negative for the team from here until he was gone.

They should have came to that conclusion before Kanter asked to be traded.

This is the best complaint about the Kanter trade and DL's handling of it I have read. DL did the best he could with the situation he was in. But he should not have been in that situation at all.

There was recently a tweet that Utah never even really tried to re-sign Kanter at all. Sounds to me like the FO knew they were not going to keep Kanter. So they should have sold before his price tanked. Not after and scrounge for the best deal you could.

We got rid of a POS who didn't want to play for us, wants max money next season, and doesn't play defense. Step back for a second:

-In the past year we have signed Favors, Hayward and Burks.
-We have tons of draft picks (more 2nd rounders but that means we can retain foreigners or sign guys for less money)
-A lot of cap space to sign a #1 option

We're a few players (2-3) away from being a solid playoff team. If we draft Russell or Johnson and sign one or two free agents we're a playoff team - no doubt. We're also a deep team and can still play well even with an injury.

This trade straddles the line at 'fine', for me.

- if Pleiss is legit, we easily win this trade
- if we nail a pretty good FA, we easily win this trade

If neither of the above happens, we still have assets (including three first rounders in a single draft) to make a splash.

All of this beats re-signing a big-man who a) would hinder the development of one of our best players; b) a player who doesn't really fit in our long-term scheme in any way, shape, or form.

And to those of you who seem to think that centers with okay offense & no defense would fetch value on the market with an 8 figure salary-- we saw what a rich man's Enes Kanter (Big Al) fetched when the Jazz traded for him.

When? 2017? I thought the OKC pick wouldn't come to Utah till at least 2018.

When? 2017? I thought the OKC pick wouldn't come to Utah till at least 2018.

If Oklahima gets >19th pick this year, it gets sent to Philly. We then get their 2017 pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. If Kanter really was the problem that he appeared to be, our front office should have known about it before Kanter asked for the trade. They should have been shopping him, and trying to trade him before that when they could still get top dollar. Mistakes happen, and this was one of them. We got an ok return, but it is most certainly not as good as it should have been, and that blame resides soley on DL.

We don't know that they weren't already doing this. This trade certainly has the whiff of panic/desperation and doesn't look good from the surface. I'm thinking that IF OKC plans to sign Kanter after this year, that they do value him, but we were only able to get peanuts on the dollar for him (including a protected pick in 2018--excuse me if I don't get all excited about that one). Ok, that's more than a whiff of panic/desperation, that's a *^%# stench.

Dennis Lindsey said that this trade will give us "flexibility for the future." Does that sound familiar? It should. Its been his key line behind any transition since he was hired as GM. In 2013 there was an interview with Lindsey regarding possible trades for Millsap or A. Jefferson. He again said that what ever happened we have enough assets that will give us flexibility for the future. In 2013 the future was now, The future for now is,,,,, anything beyond tomorrow. When will our upper management stop thinking 3 years down the road and start thinking NOW? 3 Years down the road is usually fine, but with the Jazz organization 3 years turns into 6, 6 turns into 9, so on and so forth. 40 is not the new 20 unless your 40 and your incomplete. Start seeing NOW!!
I don't think the question of whether trading Kanter was a good or a bad decision. He didn't want to play here, and the pros of the trade are obvious as far as some guys getting well-deserved minutes etc. We all should agree with that. The trade needed to happen. I think the better question is did the Jazz settle, accepting much less than they should have?? I think the answer is yes. I read the reactions to the trade and I see everyone agrees that it needed to happen. That's obvious. But its irritating that so many Jazz fans are contempt thinking that our management did everything they could to get everything they could for Kanter. I agree that you have to take the best deal before the trade deadline ends for Enes Kanter. But receiving as little as we did for him tells me that the Jazz didn't even shop him until maybe the final days leading up to the trade deadline.
There is no way that they shopped him for the last few weeks and that's the best deal that was available when all is said and done. The main piece we are getting in return is Perkins. He is not even that good of a piece for one. Second, we are releasing him from his contract so he can sign for a contender. What it boils down to is that we didn't receive any valued assets in return. You can argue that we now have cap space, but you don't trade a player who you drafted 3rd overall with a PER of 17.55 for cap space.
I know that I am going to get loads of hate for this post, but I am only saying what everyone is thinking or will think depending on when they get tired of hearing talks about the future.

As you see, Slapper, a good number of people agree with you. Sure, we saw the need to trade Kanter, but damn all they got basically was **** from it. Perkins, geezus -- we really did OKC a HUGE favor -- they owe us now.

As you see, Slapper, a good number of people agree with you. Sure, we saw the need to trade Kanter, but damn all they got basically was **** from it. Perkins, geezus -- we really did OKC a HUGE favor -- they owe us now.

Unless Pleiss or Jerrett turn in to rotation players. Then you got something and the draft picks.