What's new

Dennis Lindsey interview - Kanter & Advanced Analytics

Stifle Tower

Punch Bowl Re-Filler
Surprised this hasn't been posted. Kanter comments start at about 2:30.
https://kfanav.s3.amazonaws.com/20150214_021315_lindsey-WEB.mp3

Too long to post the entire transcript, but what I got out of it is DL isn't too upset by what Kanter said. Said they believe in Enes as a person and in his character and work ethic and like him as a young player. DL says he's been in several situations where "time thickens and heals whatever grievances there may be. Usually, you can use moments like this to grow even closer. So we'll certainly, uhh, you know, uhh, evaluate what we have, but to overreact in our position would be a mistake."

DL said they like players who have strong emotions and want to do more. Can understand that post-game frustrations can cause players to say things they regret. Likes the bigs we have and said they are all developing good chemistry together. Likes the fact they have different skill sets.

After the Kanter portion he then talked about Hayward and responded to Barkley's remarks about advanced analytics.

My take after listening to Lindsey is that a trade is not likely. And I think that's a good thing. Enes would return pennies on the dollar right now. Hopefully they can stroke his ego a bit and get him refocused. As others have mentioned, Enes really has improved over the past several weeks. Maybe not as much as we had hoped, but we have what could be one of the most dominating big rotations in the league. And they're all young and improving! My hope is that we can focus our assets on fixing the backcourt.

I'm not surprised by this. While emotions are high right now, he gets paid to keep a level head. He's not giving Kanter away. I'm still hopeful that they make a move for Dragic or Middleton even if they decide to keep Kanter and Burke in the fold. That's the only way that they'll be able to get a guy of that caliber if they do decide to keep Kanter. Gotta have the Bird rights or ability to match a RFA contract in FA. Thankfully, they have the assets to do that. I'd like to see them make a move here at the deadline to add a piece as long as they don't give up the 2015 pick in the process. The 2016 pick top 5 protected should be worth more than anything the Lakers, Rockets or Knicks can offer. Then you convince them to resign and draft the best player you can.

However it shakes out, Rudy Gobert has earned the starting job. Kanter can get his minutes still, even if he comes in off the bench. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they value Kanter enough to hang onto him. They have the cap flexibility to do it if they want to.

I think its funny that when you listen to him, he chooses his words wisely and gives an answer that can be appreciated by someone on either end of the fence. Never really being 100% clear on a single decision, but making indecisiveness seem so clever and so smooth.

What Ellis said.

DL could have said this and it meant exactly what he said, or he could have put a band-aid on a trade asset.

This is pretty much just GM-speak (to keep Kanter's value as high as possible) in the sense that this doesn't seem to just be some after a game, emotional one-time rant by Kanter. His agent has made that abundantly clear. This has been an ongoing issue for him and his agent didn't mince words.

This is pretty much just GM-speak (to keep Kanter's value as high as possible) in the sense that this doesn't seem to just be some after a game, emotional one-time rant by Kanter. His agent has made that abundantly clear. This has been an ongoing issue for him and his agent didn't mince words.

And I thought that DL's opening statements that Kanter's and his agent's comments "were what they were" was telling. Like they do know that he actually does want out and they don't really like that.

It will be a mistake to try and keep Kanter. Im assuming Dennis Lindsey is smarter than this and is just saying what he needs to.

Kanter can see what's coming on this team. How can he not? Rudy is obviously emerging and Favors isn't going anywhere. Why would Kanter think that he has a shot to be the starter on this team for years to come? He has to believe that nothing is going to change. Any kind of boost in minutes will be temporary.

From the Jazz perspective, they should not be thinking anything other than Favors and Rudy are the future. All parties know what's going on here.

If the Jazz don't trade Kanter before the trade deadline, then I predict Kanter takes his qualifying offer next year and gambles on getting a bigger contract the next year when the cap increases dramatically. It's possible that Kanter gets a nice offer he is happy with this summer, and maybe we could do a sign and trade, but I think that's unlikely.

Once he signs that qualifying offer, we have very little leverage. Teams aren't going to give up much for an unrestricted free agent. Then we are stuck with a disgruntled player we have no use for and is going to screw with team chemistry. Then all we are left with is a little hope he would sign for very little and be willing to come off the bench. Not likely that's happening.

I think its funny that when you listen to him, he chooses his words wisely and gives an answer that can be appreciated by someone on either end of the fence. Never really being 100% clear on a single decision, but making indecisiveness seem so clever and so smooth.

A GM's job is to never polarize. What IF Kanter has some time to think about what he said, doesn't find a good offer in free agency and comes back? That's my ideal scenario; I think Kanter would be a dominant 3rd big. We're not going to get the equivalent with a late 1st/early 2nd pick. Nor would a player like that come cheap in free agency (if a good big even WOULD sign with Utah). Or if they're intent on trading him, Lindsey doesn't want to wreck the market even more by other GM's thinking he's desperate.

I agree the most likely scenario is either a sign-and-trade or for Kanter just signing the QO. IINM, Jazz can withdraw the QO before it's been signed. So if they did find a quality FA from July 1-10, they could just rescind the QO in order to create cap space. I hope they can clear Novak's salary before the deadline. Would be nice to have that off the books this summer.

Funny thing is, Max Ergül said the exact same words Kanter said before he got drafted: "I'm not afraid of anything. " Ergül said: "We're not afraid of anything."

Is that a motivation line these guys used throughout time to encourage themselves? Because Kanter always said similar things but always appeared to have a thin skin.

Sounds like a man who has tried to trade Kanter but can't.

Probably. But that's a bonus for us. Is a 2nd round pick really all that valuable? Use all the picks we have and the Jazz - barring any other moves - would have a full roster (assuming Neto is also brought over). The better bet is to see if Kanter and the Jazz can reconcile. If he'd sign for Favors' money, I'd be all for it.

Probably. But that's a bonus for us. Is a 2nd round pick really all that valuable? Use all the picks we have and the Jazz - barring any other moves - would have a full roster (assuming Neto is also brought over). The better bet is to see if Kanter and the Jazz can reconcile. If he'd sign for Favors' money, I'd be all for it.

Trading Kanter for a 2nd is clown shoes. Only a fool would entertain the idea.

Yup.
Politicians

It will be a mistake to try and keep Kanter. Im assuming Dennis Lindsey is smarter than this and is just saying what he needs to.

Kanter can see what's coming on this team. How can he not? Rudy is obviously emerging and Favors isn't going anywhere. Why would Kanter think that he has a shot to be the starter on this team for years to come? He has to believe that nothing is going to change. Any kind of boost in minutes will be temporary.

From the Jazz perspective, they should not be thinking anything other than Favors and Rudy are the future. All parties know what's going on here.

If the Jazz don't trade Kanter before the trade deadline, then I predict Kanter takes his qualifying offer next year and gambles on getting a bigger contract the next year when the cap increases dramatically. It's possible that Kanter gets a nice offer he is happy with this summer, and maybe we could do a sign and trade, but I think that's unlikely.

Once he signs that qualifying offer, we have very little leverage. Teams aren't going to give up much for an unrestricted free agent. Then we are stuck with a disgruntled player we have no use for and is going to screw with team chemistry. Then all we are left with is a little hope he would sign for very little and be willing to come off the bench. Not likely that's happening.
Good post.
I agree that a trade should be coming

After a few questions the KFAN guy (was it Spence?) says, (paraphrase) QS said emotions get high after a loss and with our guys being so young I just take it with a grain of salt. Then DL basically says oh yeah, that's totally what it was. I did that all the time blah blah blah for the rest of the interview. I had to chuckle how blatant it was.

Never really being 100% clear on a single decision, but making indecisiveness seem so clever and so smooth.

Indecisiveness? LOL, that's what you call not showing your hand. Anyone who tries to read too much into anything a GM says, just isn't getting it. It's kinda like pop protesting in-game interviews with the coach. It's completely asinine to expect coaches to give away their game plan in the middle of a game, the same way it would be completely ****ing stupid for a GM to show his hand to the media. Get a grip, FFS.