What's new

Dennis Lindsey: We will be VERY active in free agency

stitches

2023 Prediction Contest Winner
Interview after the draft:
https://espn700sports.com/interviews/dennis-lindsey-utah-jazz-general-manager-6-23-16/

Highlights:
About Bolomboy:
-we liked his character and athleticism
-a little bit surprised that he was there at 52
-has become a better shooter in Weber state

About Wallace:
-he's a big guard, great defender, very versatile

About Marcus Paige:
-can score the ball
-underrated pnr player
-high character, academic all-American

About the draft:
-We tried moving back into the first round(was about to to say at what position they started their attempts, but stopped himself, said he can't reveal that). We were close, but it didn't happen
-There were a few people we liked at 42, but they were taken right in front of us, so they decided to get some extra cash and move back

Miscellaneous:
-Agents and players know Utah is a great place to train and improve, word gets around that Quin is fair to the young guys...
-Will Dante be a starter? - didn't answer, but said that there will be more competition on the roster this year and the players know that we need reinforcements. Quin will be the one deciding who starts and who finishes and who plays.
-We plan on being VERY active in FA
-Dante's cleaned up his shot, but there are still some steps. This is a summer-long project to get him back to where he needs to be.
-Punted on questions of whether he's relieved that Exum and Hayward won't be in Rio and whether he prefers France qualifies to Rio.

The bolded part to me is the most consequential part of this interview. I think we can expect at least 2 FA/trade additions to the team.

This team doesn't need a whole lot. A solid PG and some bench leadership and we're set. Not championship caliber, but a step.

Well, Dennis it probably would've been a lot easier had you traded for a late 1st rounder before the draft had actually begun. We could've gotten Dejounte, Skal or Davis. No one had predicted for them to fall that low and the Jazz started to scramble after they saw that I bet.

The Jazz will keep Hayward and he will opt out at the end of the next season without nothing in exchange.

Okc traded Ibaka for Oladipo, Ilayasova and Sabonis!

The thing we've got going for us in FA this year is free agents will know that we now have a SOLID point guard and a willingness to make the playoffs. Plus a great coach in Quin.

Hopefully that's enough to lure some big name guys.

Why would we spend in free agency if we are worried about money in 2017 and 2018?

Sent from my VS980 4G using JazzFanz mobile app

Why would we spend in free agency if we are worried about money in 2017 and 2018?

Because we are not worried about 2017 and because we will probably try to sign short time deals that won't affect our plans in 2018.

Because we are not worried about 2017 and because we will probably try to sign short time deals that won't affect our plans in 2018.
I hope you're right. I'm just not sure what quality free agents want to sign only a 2 year deal when some teams will be spending so much.

I think it would be useful to try to bring back Marvin Williams maybe 2 years (1st year loaded on pay), so long as he is willing to play 3rd string SF/PF.. It would give us more flexibility.. (Although Charlotte will probably still want to try to keep him on, might as well rock that boat for trying to screw us with Hayward's contract)

eg
if Hayward/Burks/Hood run into foul trouble or injury hiccups...
if Favors/Lyles runs into foul trouble or injury hiccups..
if run into games where we have to play heavier amounts of small ball..

Obviously we would still need to offload trey burke and drop Chris Johnson..

Food for thought(potentially unpopular)

If the Jazz trade Burks + Lyles + Warriors '17 first for Paul Millsap
Do you think the Jazz could win 55 games if healthy and Exum improving?

Food for thought(potentially unpopular)

If the Jazz trade Burks + Lyles + Warriors '17 first for Paul Millsap
Do you think the Jazz could win 55 games if healthy and Exum improving?
Interesting, but Favors or Millsap would have to go to the bench. Neither will take that.

However, Favors, Burke and scraps(2nd rounders, Tomic rights, Pleiss) for Millsap and a future Atlanta first would be intriguing. Favors played college in Atlanta area. Millsap is such a phenomenal fit next to Gobert. If we wanted to "win now", this is a brilliant trade.

I hope you're right. I'm just not sure what quality free agents want to sign only a 2 year deal when some teams will be spending so much.

Most of them will given that the new CBA will go into effect and max deals will skyrocket after that time frame.

Sounds great, but let's be sure we Don't confuse activity for progress or busy for productive.

Interesting, but Favors or Millsap would have to go to the bench. Neither will take that.

However, Favors, Burke and scraps(2nd rounders, Tomic rights, Pleiss) for Millsap and a future Atlanta first would be intriguing. Favors played college in Atlanta area. Millsap is such a phenomenal fit next to Gobert. If we wanted to "win now", this is a brilliant trade.

I think both Favors and Gobert could be talked into sitting at the start of games and occasionally fielding Millsap as a 3 against slower wings.
You just need them to buy in that they'll all avg 30-32 min and who plays more is decided by matchups and performance that night.
Gobert is just huge. And Favors is also very strong and a good rim protector who could demolish some small ball lineups together with Millsap as your PF. Millsap is terrific defensively as well.

I don't think we will sign anyone of any impact. We will be very active is GM speak after a meh-draft. Not saying DL did a bad job here... Just that he says stuff.

He said we'd be very aggressive in the draft... I mean I guess we did get Hill but I thought when teams were selling crap off we'd go get some of that crap. Not saying we didn't try.

What positions we need to fill backup SF, upgrade at fourth big.... Don't see a lot of aggressive moves there and I'd rather use the cap space this year to extend favs and hill. I don't want any salary beyond 2018 unless we got a core piece and for the roles we have available I don't see a core piece out there.

Sounds great, but let's be sure we Don't confuse activity for progress or busy for productive.

I think he will be active in caking around and what we actually get done will be much less exciting than we are thinking. We have some holes to fill but the are much smaller now.