What's new

Deron Williams/Raja Bell discuss his tension with Coach Sloan

The Fresh Prince

View: https://youtu.be/F6vS0vZjJE4

Interesting. It tells me a lot about why players didn't want to play in Utah. Sloan had a specific system where shots would normally go through only 2-3 players, and how he hated shots early into the shot clock. Sloan though he demanded respect would've had a hard time getting respect in this day of age. I think Deron also gets a lot of **** that he doesn't deserve. That play that caused Sloan to quit where Deron flipped the play for Al was petty on Sloans part. Jerry needed men around him that wouldn't defy his coaching prowess.

It's a catch 22 though because Deron needed a system like Sloan's to excel.

Also, we were never going to go far with KOC as our GM.

Last edited:
The jazz could’ve used a Jerry Sloan this last year. He would’ve found a way to light a fire on those comatose idiots. I remember he used to give his players a wake-up call if they came out sluggish in the first quarter. He would just empty the bench and tell the regulars “you aren’t going to play hard? I’ll find players that will actually compete” Snyder wouldn’t do ****!!

I think part of the nobody's coming to Utah is because Sloan was so hard nosed, and demanded a lot of his players. Players didn't want to jump into that, but those that did ended up with a lot of love and loyalty for the guy (for the most part).

I think there is a lot of truth to what D-Will was saying, but clearly there was a lot more going on that that one play. I also don't think D-Will responded with sorry, my bad when Sloan called him out.

D-Will telling Greg he wasn't going to stay in Utah, and all the statements at the time were revolving around Sloan not being allowed to bench Deron.

Sloan wouldn't survive in today's NBA as players want to be pampered. No way Jerry and Donovan could co-exist.

I still think there are coaches that get their teams to lock down and play hard. I think the key in today's game is to also have floor leaders that set the tone, because I think without that coaches will get tuned out.

I think part of the nobody's coming to Utah is because Sloan was so hard nosed, and demanded a lot of his players. Players didn't want to jump into that, but those that did ended up with a lot of love and loyalty for the guy (for the most part).
Ummm no, Sloan had nothing to do with that. It’s Utah. We got more talent to sign with Utah under Sloan than under Quin other than players on their last legs.
I think there is a lot of truth to what D-Will was saying, but clearly there was a lot more going on that that one play. I also don't think D-Will responded with sorry, my bad when Sloan called him out.
I’m sure Deron sugar coated a lot of what he described.
Sloan wouldn't survive in today's NBA as players want to be pampered. No way Jerry and Donovan could co-exist.
Bull crap on that as well I don’t believe that for a second.

Sloan wouldn't survive in today's NBA as players want to be pampered.
I'm old enough to remember people who watched the NBA in the 1960s saying that about players in the 1990s. Nostalgia bias.

There have always been players who needed (comparative) pampering vs. those who needed (comparative) pushing.

It's been a decade... not the same league or the same Jazz. Things evolve, that's the nature of all $hit I guess.
Good to watch Bell/Williams talk on it with ease of mind, almost like a kind of not bad/funny/affectionate memory.

The biggest thing I took from this was when Deron talked about trying to recruit and realizing that he wasn’t going to get anyone here. He said he knew he was bouncing. Sounds like Donovan’s situation. I really think if Ryan is smart he will start the rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

The biggest thing I took from this was when Deron talked about trying to recruit and realizing that he wasn’t going to get anyone here. He said he knew he was bouncing. Sounds like Donovan’s situation. I really think if Ryan is smart he will start the rebuild.

Not quite. We've brought in FAR better talent for Don than we ever did with Deron. Sloan was a hardass coach who didn't really dig the street culture. He was a blue collar coach who demanded no nonsense 100% of the time. Quin is more of a players coach that players feel more relaxed to play with. No way we get guys like Clarkson, Whiteside, Donovan with Sloan as the coach.

Not quite. We've brought in FAR better talent for Don than we ever did with Deron. Sloan was a hardass coach who didn't really dig the street culture. He was a blue collar coach who demanded no nonsense 100% of the time. Quin is more of a players coach that players feel more relaxed to play with. No way we get guys like Clarkson, Whiteside, Donovan with Sloan as the coach.
Clarkson Donovan and Whiteside have been rumored to love jackpotting around.

Royce, Mike and Jordan wear headbands, which is simply unacceptable, and a clear sign of a selfish, me first attitudes.

Don't get me started on Gobert playing with his shirt untucked. A sheer lack of respect right there.

A bunch of miscreants if you ask me.

View: https://youtu.be/F6vS0vZjJE4

Interesting. It tells me a lot about why players didn't want to play in Utah. Sloan had a specific system where shots would normally go through only 2-3 players, and how he hated shots early into the shot clock. Sloan though he demanded respect would've had a hard time getting respect in this day of age. I think Deron also gets a lot of **** that he doesn't deserve. That play that caused Sloan to quit where Deron flipped the play for Al was petty on Sloans part. Jerry needed men around him that wouldn't defy his coaching prowess.

It's a catch 22 though because Deron needed a system like Sloan's to excel.

Also, we were never going to go far with KOC as our GM.

D will > Donovan

Donovan hasn’t recruited anybody for the jazz my man. Also we are still far from a premier landing spot regardless of who our coach is.

Also lol who are you to tell me not quite to what I took away from the clip? Lmao