What's new

Derrick Favors' family has moved to Atlanta.

Jack Strop

Favors, his partner and three children plan on vacationing in San Diego. His family has permanently moved to Atlanta, so it will be a reunion of sorts for the Jazz power forward.

“It’s definitely going to be good seeing them and spending a lot of time with them,” Favors said.
Saw this tidbit mentioned in an article about what Jazz players are doing over the all-star break. Interesting. I had speculated Atlanta could be a team that goes hard after Derrick. Homecoming would be nice for him. As much as he says he likes playing for the Jazz, it's pretty unusual his family would move if he were thinking about staying.

I had a coworker mention this on Friday. As I thought about it, I realized Favors to Atlanta makes as much sense as Hayward to Boston. I can't believe we all didn't see it sooner.

Favors has been loyal and appreciative to the Jazz. Even though they screwed him with that contract extension (he was loyal to the jazz and got 46 million, Hayward got 64) When asked if he was bitter about Hayward getting paid more than him, he said he didn't worry about stuff like that and that the extension was the right thing for his family. He's said he likes living in Utah. He's really been perfect for the Jazz.

But Atlanta is his home and they've made plenty of room for him. If he goes it would stink, but I hope Jazz fans won't hold it against him.

Last edited:
I have been talking about Favors to Atlanta for a while. We probably tried to trade him to Atlanta for a pick, but they knew they could just sign him in the off-season.

I would be really excited for him if he got to go home. Great fit for him and Atlanta.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Favors would have been gone already if Utah hadn't turned things around.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure about that. He seems to be pretty confident in himself (despite reality.) For example, after missing his first 10-15 attempts from three, when he finally did hit one, Tony Jones reported that Favors bounced into the locker room and said something like "Tell the world Derrick Favors is now a stretch 4!!"

I had a coworker mention this on Friday. As I thought about it, I realized Favors to Atlanta makes as much sense as Hayward to Boston. I can't believe we all didn't see it sooner.

Favors has been loyal and appreciative to the Jazz. Even though they screwed him with that contract extension (he was loyal to the jazz and got 46 million, Hayward got 64) When asked if he was bitter about Hayward getting paid more than him, he said he didn't worry about stuff like that and that the extension was the right thing for his family. He's said he likes living in Utah. He's really been perfect for the Jazz.

But Atlanta is his home and they've made plenty of room for him. If he goes it would stink, but I hope Jazz fans won't hold it against him.
The Jazz did not screw Favors. He chose a safer route than Hayward. It resulted in lower pay. He knew that was a possible result of his strategy.

The Jazz did not screw Favors. He chose a safer route than Hayward. It resulted in lower pay. He knew that was a possible result of his strategy.

IAWTP... For every Hayward there are a few Nerlens Noels or Bozi Wells.

Favs secureded generational security rather than waiting for 10-15M more. After tax and agent stuff 5-7M more. It wasn’t dumb and it wasn’t us screwing him.

We could have extended him last season but his health and play didn’t merit it. He will do well again this offseason and he may have a little regret not waiting for a max deal but grand scheme he can look back and be quite happy with how he’s set his family up for the future. His money will go a long way in Georgia.

Favors has been loyal and appreciative to the Jazz. Even though they screwed him with that contract extension (he was loyal to the jazz and got 46 million, Hayward got 64)

GTFO with this BS. Nobody forced Favors to sign that contract. Utah offered him a deal and he took it. It's extremely possible that he and his agent decided to take the deal when it was offered, to avoid the possibility of an injury ruining his chances at a similar deal. Considering how much he was injured, it turned out to be a fair deal. Had he been healthy the entire time, he would have been a bargain, but it was STILL his decision to take the deal that was offered.

I suppose Utah should just offer max deals to everyone from now on. We'll just pretend the salary cap doesn't prevent you from building a team if you overpay players.

As for Favors to Atlanta, I doubt he's dreaming of playing for one of the worst teams in the league. He'll likely either stay in Utah, take the best deal available, or maybe take a slightly lesser deal to play in a good situation elsewhere where he can start for a winning team.

I think Utah has a good chance to keep him, regardless.

I think faves has been fantastic this year but does crowder make him expendable?

Without faves there is no chance of us being in a playoff this year with rudy going down and missing what 15-20 games? Udoh who has been great just aint at eithers level but how much can you pay to keep him?

Don't blame him moving to ATL honestly. Better weather there than in Utah. But if it's a portend of things to come, than I will wish Faves the best of luck in the world regardless of where he goes. Dude is a consummate professional and just all around good guy.

I believe DM when he says that this team genuinely likes each other as a group, and I also believe that being happy is one of the most important values to Faves. I have never seen him as an ultra-competitive player. It will not surprise me, even a little bit, if he decides to stay in Utah even if it means accepting a non-starter role.

Independent of his future plans, I am not the slightest bit surprised that his family prefers to live in Atlanta.

Don't blame him moving to ATL honestly. Better weather there than in Utah. But if it's a portend of things to come, than I will wish Faves the best of luck in the world regardless of where he goes. Dude is a consummate professional and just all around good guy.
Better weather if you like humidity and don't like snow. For my taste, the weather here is far better. I think the biggest thing that tips the scale in Atlanta's favor for Favors is the same thing that tips that same scale in Utah's favor for me: family.

Favors has always been one of my favorite players and I still think the Favors/Gobert lineup can work. But if Favors choses to go to Atlanta, I'll be disappointed but also happy for him.