What's new

Derrick Favors - Mind of a child?

So are you saying you want a loud, obnoxious idiot? Gtfo. I like favors "silent but deadly" attitude. You are quick to judge a guy who doesn't like answering interviews. Kanter still likes the undertaker, is he a child too?

OP has a point, you want players to be mentally involved... and smarts matter a lot...
However there are different kinds of smarts,
basketball smarts and media talking head smarts are very different.

I agree, Basketball smarts and Intellect smarts are not related at all. If you have both, that's a plus, but it's not a necessity. Karl Malone is one the greatest players in the history of the NBA, but let's be honest, he was not an intellectually smart person at all. Deron Williams always gave out short/abrupt answers at interviews. These guys aren't being paid the big bucks to speak eloquently and give great interviews, they are paid to put the ball in the hoop, grab rebounds, block shots, and win games. As long as Favors continues to do the latter, I could care less about how articulate he is in answering interview questions.

These guys are paid to play basketball. They are not paid to take interviews. And I think when favors is an elite player then he can start focusing on the media a little bit more.

guess i just dated myself.

Dennis Rodman is way ahead of you.

rodman_display_image.jpg

I'm a real poster. Just a thought I had about him. I want him to succeed. As a player, he makes big plays, but can sometimes disappear on offense and become a nonfactor.

I'm a real poster. Just a thought I had about him. I want him to succeed. As a player, he makes big plays, but can sometimes disappear on offense and become a nonfactor.
Based on the way Favors communicates I doubt he would have chosen to share a similar thought about you. Is that because he's the more intelligent of the two?

Most people under the age of say 25 nowadays have the minds of a child. Social media and texting is ruining people.

I`m SO GLAD i grew up without the internet and cell phones.

Interpersonal skills are diminishing greatly.

Most people under the age of say 25 nowadays have the minds of a child. Social media and texting is ruining people.

You meant televisions, right? All those kids calling watching TV instead of meeting in a group, they're losing their social skills.

Wait, you meant telephones, right? All those kids calling each other instead of meeting in a group, they're losing their social skills.

Wait, you meant the Post Office, right? All those kids writing each other instead of meeting in a group, they're losing their social skills.

Last edited:
I'm glad I've shoved a discussion. I'm glad some people have pointed out that it seems rational that there needs to be atleast some form of decorum that comes out of his, or any player, mouthes regarding his play. Maybe it's the boring summer that's got me, but we pay his paycheck don't we? I'd like to be able to affirm one's character based on their ability to be able to realize and project, and not necessarily directly communicate, to us.

It was strange, after being completely underwhelmed by what he said in the radio interview, they moved him over to twitter where he *literally* gave two word answers to everybody's questions- on a platform where you can get away with that kind of stuff. I called that before it all happened.

I'd like to address those that brought up a Malone comparison, which if they used a moment of clarity for a second would realize how strange that is. Malone is a HoF that, though wasn't "book smart", knew how to talk to the media. In fact, Malone did it better than the majority of players because he almost had an art with it. And by art, he sounded like a dip**** but kept media coming back for more one-liners. Malone was in Malone's world and they wanted to write about it. What can the papers write about what Favors said? That Hayward "got at that"? Derrick Favors does not have one liners. He sounds like if the radio guys asked him how many colors there are in a rainbow, he would be able to answer but not be able to understand why he answered it that way. It's not like we need you to answer a general question with a thesis and reasonable support, but you needed to portray something other than speech to make us believe.

I'd like to address those that brought up a Malone comparison, which if they used a moment of clarity for a second would realize how strange that is. Malone is a HoF that, though wasn't "book smart", knew how to talk to the media. In fact, Malone did it better than the majority of players because he almost had an art with it. And by art, he sounded like a dip**** but kept media coming back for more one-liners. Malone was in Malone's world and they wanted to write about it. What can the papers write about what Favors said? That Hayward "got at that"? Derrick Favors does not have one liners. He sounds like if the radio guys asked him how many colors there are in a rainbow, he would be able to answer but not be able to understand why he answered it that way. It's not like we need you to answer a general question with a thesis and reasonable support, but you needed to portray something other than speech to make us believe.
I also used Deron Williams as an example. He was terrible in interviews. His responses were about as informative as Derrick's.
Same goes with Bill Belichek...you think Patriot fans give a damn that his interview responses rarely go beyond a two word sentence? You're entitled to your opinion, but I just think you're nitpicking. That's all.

I
I'd like to address those that brought up a Malone comparison, which if they used a moment of clarity for a second would realize how strange that is. Malone is a HoF that, though wasn't "book smart", knew how to talk to the media. In fact, Malone did it better than the majority of players because he almost had an art with it.
Good point on Malone. He was an extremely entertaining interview IMO. Part of that was his colorful way of speaking, but I'd also say that he had a passion for the game, a passion for winning, and an inner strength that was based on something. He cared about what he was doing , for whatever reason, and this came through in his words