What's new

Deseret News - Alex Smith, Steve Smith, Rudy Gobert and others congratulate the University...

J

Joe Coles

merlin_1622812.0.jpg
University of Utah alumnus and NFL quarterback Alex Smith speaks during the University of Utah commencement services in the Jon M. Huntsman Center Thursday, May 1, 2014, in Salt Lake City. Smith was one of several sports figures to congratulate this year’s graduates in a virtual commencement ceremony. | Hugh Carey, Deseret News

SALT LAKE CITY — On Thursday, the University of Utah held its commencement ceremony for the 2020 graduating class.

Well, sort of.

The U. held a virtual commencement ceremony due to the COVID-19 pandemic, with a traditional, in-person ceremony slated for December.

To honor the graduating class, the university shared congratulatory messages from some notable figures, including Utah sports figures Alex Smith, Steve Smith, Rudy Gobert, Abby Smith and Holly Rowe.

The messages are below.

Alex Smith, Utah quarterback (2002-2004) and NFL QB

“I wish we could be in Salt Lake City right now, packed inside the Huntsman Center, ready to watch you guys flip your tassels and throw your graduation caps in the air. I know that this video can’t replace that. This was supposed to be your time, a time to cheers to your new beginnings and acknowledge all the hard work you guys put in to get here,” Smith said.

“Instead, we’re apart right now, isolated, trying to stay connected to our loved ones and doing what we can to support our communities. But these crazy times shouldn’t stop us from recognizing this achievement. You guys have put in so much work to get here — all those late nights of studying, countless hours in lecture halls and libraries. One too many meals in the Heritage Center. You guys deserve your congratulations and you deserve to celebrate,” Smith said.

Alex Smith was 2014’s Utah commencement speaker.

Steve Smith, Utah receiver (1999-2000) and former NFL WR

“Sorry you cannot walk across the stage, but I want to congratulate you and say congratulations for graduating. For four, or five, or six years that it’s taken you to graduate, but no one can take that away — not COVID-19, not anything. Congratulations, University of Utah graduating class of 2020,” Smith said.

Rudy Gobert, Utah Jazz center

“Congratulations to all of you for graduating. We know that it’s probably not the same from home, but the accomplishment is still the same and I’m sure you guys all have a bright future ahead of you. Stay positive, enjoy and congrats again,” Gobert said.

Abby Smith, Utah Royals FC goalkeeper

“We personally wanted to say congratulations on graduating. You did it! All of the hard work paid off. Through all the ups and downs, all-nighters, papers, tests — you name it and that didn’t stop you, so be very proud of yourselves. Go out there, celebrate and congratulations again on graduating,” Smith said.

Holly Rowe, ESPN reporter and Utah alum

“Congratulations to all of our 2020 Utes that are graduating. I know it’s a weird time, but have great perseverance, great resilience and get out there and compete. The future is yours, go grab it,” Rowe said.

Full Story from the Deseret News...