What's new

Did bringing in a new owner save the Jazz?

The Fresh Prince

Moving on from the Miller family and bringing in a young, native Utahn as the owner was the best move this franchise may have ever done. This guy wants to see the Jazz win championships, and he's gonna do it his first year as owner.

Holy ****.

Long-term? Perhaps. Short-term? Don't think so.

We ran it back this year with the same coaches and personnel as last year with only Faves being new blood (and not exactly new to the system anyway). Outside of losing Johnnie Bryant, coaching staff is also the same. I doubt the team's play would have been different if Gail was the owner - the coaches and players are bought in and making it happen.

In the long run, I think this will help the Jazz. Smith is probably going to see his wealth continue to expand and would be more likely to reach into the luxury tax if it felt like the winning hand. It helps that he grew up a Jazz fan and is now in the unfathomable position of actually owning his childhood team - he's going to do what he can to get a banner hanging in Vivint. He remembers the ghost of the statues and the journey we've been on to recapture the magic.

I'm excited to see what direction it all goes - there can only be one winner, but this is the first time since '98 where I really feel that we're in a position to win it all.

Long-term? Perhaps. Short-term? Don't think so.

We ran it back this year with the same coaches and personnel as last year with only Faves being new blood (and not exactly new to the system anyway). Outside of losing Johnnie Bryant, coaching staff is also the same. I doubt the team's play would have been different if Gail was the owner - the coaches and players are bought in and making it happen.

In the long run, I think this will help the Jazz. Smith is probably going to see his wealth continue to expand and would be more likely to reach into the luxury tax if it felt like the winning hand. It helps that he grew up a Jazz fan and is now in the unfathomable position of actually owning his childhood team - he's going to do what he can to get a banner hanging in Vivint. He remembers the ghost of the statues and the journey we've been on to recapture the magic.

I'm excited to see what direction it all goes - there can only be one winner, but this is the first time since '98 where I really feel that we're in a position to win it all.
Great post.

It Absolutely helps us. The biggest value will be added during free agency. When a primetime free agent hits the market and he and his agent starts to shop teams, it helps to have someone like Ryan Smith. For one he's a fan of basketball and is ambitious as anybody. Although new, he's ambitious and can sell his vision of where he's taking the team. I don't think Gail had a vision of where she was taking the team. Steve Ballmer is also unaccomplished in the world of the NBA, but he has a vision and more importantly, he's a true fan. And look at the talent he's attracted during free agency in his short time of being the owner of the Clippers. I'm sure Gail Miller could bake a mean batch of chocolate chip cookies, but that's not going to be enough to get real talent to sign with the Jazz, and unfortunately that's the only value that she could add. Ryan Smith is going to be able to get talented free agents to buy into his vision. There's no doubt he's going to make a huge positive impact.