What's new

Dirk Nowitzki documentary movie

BTP

I just read an article about a German documentary about Dirk being shown at our theatres at least next spring. Dirk's arguably the biggest individual sports star from Germany ever, and that group includes a huge number of football players. It's definately a must watch for me about one of my fav players. Don't know if a synchronized version is planned or if it's even a big time documentary, but it surely will include lots of clutch fade aways and game winners.

https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sport1.de%2Fde%2Fussport%2Fussport_nba%2Fnewspage_758305.html&sandbox=1

That's the translated version of a German article. Google translate isn't too shabby anymore. yay!

Franz Beckenbauer is probably the best German athlete ever. Dirk is definitely top 5 though

This^

Used to wake up early every Saturday morning to watch Frank Schebenshorgeer do his thang.

A ****ing artist. He was taken from us too young.

This post brought to you by UGLI baby

Germany may have some really good Soccer players, but Dirk is their only basketball player, so I think that makes him better than the soccer guys.

If your German, and you like Basketball, your favorite player is probably Dirk.

If your German, and you like Soccer, there is probably a wider range of favorite players.

Reactions: BTP
Germany may have some really good Soccer players, but Dirk is their only basketball player, so I think that makes him better than the soccer guys.

If your German, and you like Soccer, there is probably a wider range of favorite players.

Yep that was my thought too. Basketball has a bigger emphasis on the individual than football, which is more team oriented. Add to that being a big time Athlete with global recognition and a unique success story in a sport that's not even top3 in Germany is kind of huge the way I look at it.

Yep that was my thought too. Basketball has a bigger emphasis on the individual than football, which is more team oriented. Add to that being a big time Athlete with global recognition and a unique success story in a sport that's not even top3 in Germany is kind of huge the way I look at it.

Even further, Basketball in Germany is improving like crazy and Dirk is contributing to it a lot. He will be remembered as the best of the bests when once German Basketball becomes the best of Europe.

Even further, Basketball in Germany is improving like crazy and Dirk is contributing to it a lot. He will be remembered as the best of the bests when once German Basketball becomes the best of Europe.

It's improving on a national scale because until a few years back then we didn't have foreigner limits in our league. But Germany will never be a powerhouse at basketball simply because Europeans don't have the athletic body type like guys from West Africa. We'll have the occasional player who's very skilled, has elite size and agility and a Schröder case, where it's an offspring of immigrants that has the right body to play ball. But with the popularity of football it'll saturate at some point.
But producing Schröder type of players is what France is doing with their amount of African immigrants. In Germany most immigrants are Turkish, followed by Eastern European countries. Especially Russians whose grand grandfather's cousin's mother was German. That will simply limit the talent pool to pick from.

It's improving on a national scale because until a few years back then we didn't have foreigner limits in our league. But Germany will never be a powerhouse at basketball simply because Europeans don't have the athletic body type like guys from West Africa. We'll have the occasional player who's very skilled, has elite size and agility and a Schröder case, where it's an offspring of immigrants that has the right body to play ball. But with the popularity of football it'll saturate at some point.
But producing Schröder type of players is what France is doing with their amount of African immigrants. In Germany most immigrants are Turkish, followed by Eastern European countries. Especially Russians whose grand grandfather's cousin's mother was German. That will simply limit the talent pool to pick from.

There are a lot of German citizen Turkish soccer players who grew up there and are very good at what they do. Why should not the same thing apply for basketball?

I could agree on foreigner limits. The rest, you're way off man. So were Spanish, Greek, Lithuanian, Serbian/Yugoslavian, Russian people freaks of athletes? They all had their share of dominating European Basketball.

Germany has everything to be one of the best Basketball country of Europe, 80+ freaking million people with a pretty good height average, one of the best economy of the world, young immigrants from everywhere(not only Turkish or middle eastern people that are weak races as you appear to think like), great great facilities, very high sport culture, crazy good organization skills(Alba Berlin have much more fans watching their team than the sum of 4 top Turkish basketball clubs) and the German discipline.

And basketball is much more than compiling athletic bodies.

I could agree on foreigner limits. The rest, you're way off man. So were Spanish, Greek, Lithuanian, Serbian/Yugoslavian, Russian people freaks of athletes? They all had their share of dominating European Basketball.

Germany has everything to be one of the best Basketball country of Europe, 80+ freaking million people with a pretty good height average, one of the best economy of the world, young immigrants from everywhere(not only Turkish or middle eastern people that are weak races as you appear to think like), great great facilities, very high sport culture, crazy good organization skills(Alba Berlin have much more fans watching their team than the sum of 4 top Turkish basketball clubs) and the German discipline.

And basketball is much more than compiling athletic bodies.

On a European level sure. But NBA level? That's a whole different thing. There's very few athletes whose game translates well to the more physical, athletic NBA game. I see the point, but putting it into perspective and trying to not be offensive: There's a whole other avg level of "wealth" in Germany. So at this point it's really not desirable to pursue a pro career if you're an educated person from a financial standpoint.
And no I don't think they're weak races...I'd never say such a thing. But their physique doesn't translate outside the FIBA game to well. That's been well covered by scientists, why Western African "genes" are best for playing basketball and winning 100m sprints and Eastern African won't give other ethnics a chance to win a marathon ;)
That combination of dedication and skill combined with size is what made Nowitzki's and Schrempf's careers. But I don't see too many of these "unique" kids coming out. Even in America there's very few of these talented, skilled large sized talents.

Goodness, NBA isn't ten times better than European Basketball man. Your posts however sound exactly like it is. The gap is a lot smaller than most of people would think. (Plus, I've never talked about the NBA, in the first place)

For your other arguments, again basketball is much more than athletic abilities.

Anyway Germany is my bet as the rising country for the mid-long(10-15+ years) terms, while Spain will continue to lose blood due the the bad economics.

On a European level sure. But NBA level? That's a whole different thing. There's very few athletes whose game translates well to the more physical, athletic NBA game. I see the point, but putting it into perspective and trying to not be offensive: There's a whole other avg level of "wealth" in Germany. So at this point it's really not desirable to pursue a pro career if you're an educated person from a financial standpoint.
And no I don't think they're weak races...I'd never say such a thing. But their physique doesn't translate outside the FIBA game to well. That's been well covered by scientists, why Western African "genes" are best for playing basketball and winning 100m sprints and Eastern African won't give other ethnics a chance to win a marathon ;)
That combination of dedication and skill combined with size is what made Nowitzki's and Schrempf's careers. But I don't see too many of these "unique" kids coming out. Even in America there's very few of these talented, skilled large sized talents.

Genes are important but not the only difference maker to be a name in the NBA. Drazen was one of the best playmaker pointguards ever and he didn't look physically gifted compared to Wiggins alike.

Genes are important but not the only difference maker to be a name in the NBA. Drazen was one of the best playmaker pointguards ever and he didn't look physically gifted compared to Wiggins alike.

Does The Octopus(Diamantidis) look like anything special? I would take him over Nash or J. Kidd any day. Or Spanoulis? Lol He looks like a dairyman or a butcher at best.

LoL wtf from dairyman to butcher. :D

drDB3oN.jpg
Small_7-VasilisSPANOULIS_Greece_.jpg

Dairyman -------------------------- Butcher

I've never liked Diamantidis, and I wouldn't pick him over Kidd and Nash. And if we're talking European Superstars, difference makers in the NBA. I'm afraid Dirk is first before Parker. And that's it. Gasols are good stars/sidekicks, but they ain't nothing special. Drazen was pretty good too, but no Point Guard. He played SG.
And if we're talking about amassing talent in Germany, I just don't see it happen unless rules are changed drastically to favor Europeans more. Big reason the Balkan countries and Spain produce so much talent is because it offers a way better perspective compared to other countries. Having a youth unemployment problem like these countries you faster put a big emphasis on developing your athletic capacities if you're not one of the brightest kids at school.