What's new

DL certainly has dodged some bullets recently

I think it’s fairly obvious that the biggest need the Jazz have right now is a stretch 4 that can shoot from 3, create his own shot, and relieve some of the scoring burden that’s falling on Mitchell. I know financially it’s not gonna work, but I’ve become so emotionally attached to Fav’s that’s it’s gonna be really hard to see him go.

My heart’s gonna get broken, but I’m still holding out hope that the market isn’t great for Favors. Maybe he looks at the Jazz and decides that signing a team friendly deal for a chance to return to a squad that clearly has something special going on is a better option for him than singing with a bad team. I know it’s a pipe dream, but I can’t help but salivate at the idea of Utah acquiring their stretch 4 of the future, while resigning Favors to eat up plenty of minutes at the backup 4 and 5 spots. If he was willing to accept a role like that, he’d probably play just as many minutes as he already does, and there’s still a lot of scenario’s that would put him on the court to close out games. Again, I know I’m dreaming but getting Favors to buy into that role probably makes the Jazz a 60+ win team assuming the other necessary moves are done correctly and the team enjoys decent luck on the injury front.

Don't be sad, we can always go and visit Favors at a museum. He'll be next to the T-Rex and Stegosaurus.

I'm not exactly certain as to how much actual belief there was from DL and Quin, in terms of what they said about Hood becoming the #1 option, to be honest.

It came after Wayward left, but also importantly right before they had to make a decision on Hood. I feel it was a very sugar-coated way of saying 'sink or swim', because Hood is a player that needs to be coddled.

He of course sunk (and sometimes even stunk), and the FO and Quin had their answer. I honestly think it was a carefully worded ultimatum.

What is interesting is that DL was glowing about Dante (contract year). Was the FO purring about Favs too? I cannot remember.

Regarding Hood, as we've seen in Cleveland, he just doesn't respond under pressure. There's nothing unfair with asking a player to assume more of a leading role on a team that needed it. But as we've seen, he just collapses mentally for whatever reason. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is. Luckily for us, Mitchell is a God of Basketball, if not an AI of some sort.

DL isn't perfect, but I'm more than inclined to trust his judgment on guiding the team. He hired Quin, got Gobert, Mitchell, Rubio, Ingles, Royce, and the rest. He did not get contract happy when the cap expanded. He knows what's up, where he and Quin want to go, and and ideas on how to get there. I'll leave it at that.

The jury may still be out on Jae, but I keep in mind Rubio and how it took about half a season before he got into the full mode in Quin's system. Jae deserves that same benefit. I'm pretty convinced we'll get a good helping of (or reasonable facsimile) of Boston Crowder at the start of next year. Personally, I believe he just needs to settle in and let the offense get to him. Otherwise, I'm happy with him as he does bring a ton of other things to the team. He just needs to settle down somewhat.

Regarding Favors, I think Utah and he could work something out. The market isn't favorable to Derrick right now and, honestly, I'm not seeing any huge players what we can realistically sign that get my motor running. That said, I'm not entirely sure he's our answer at four, but he does so much otherwise and I don't want to lose that if it can be helped. 2019 looks like a better bet for a FA splash for the team. So if Derrick were amenable to it, I'm starting to think that Utah should ink him to a one year, 18m-20m deal with the FO's word they would try and find him a better situation (if he wanted it). Favors deserves to write his own ticket out of town if he wanted. That said, if he wants to stay long term, I'm sure we'll make it work to. He showed loyalty to us when we needed it. I'd like to do the same if possible.

Basically, I'm kind of inclined to return who we need at this point (please guarantee Royce) and see what we really have to work with for a season. Trade or sign a back-up PG to spell Exum and Rubio, what shooters we can get reasonably (Seth? Mario?), and see what happens. Let Mitchell and Gobert do their thing and make smart moves. Rome wasn't built overnight, but I'm patient and DL is a hell of an architect.

We have definitely dodged some bullets.

Hayward - I wasn't a big fan of his first big contract we matched with Charlotte. He ended up being a one time All Star and people bashed me for questioning his contract. I was very much against giving him a max here. I would have caved and given him a max equal to what Boston would have given, but the amount of max we could have given would have been a crushing blow. All things considered, I'm glad he's gone at his price and we don't need him back. Bringing him back anytime soon would be a distraction.

Hill - Glad he's gone. Even more glad we didn't give him the type money Sacramento did.

Hood - At first, I was unsure of the Hood/Crowder deal. In hindsight, it was brilliant. I love what Crowder brings to our team even if some of you are hyper critical. He addresses more of our needs areas of defense and rebounding at SF/PF than Hood did at SG/SF. Most importantly, there were many considering giving Hood around $15 per year. Since Crowder makes that the next two years combined, what a great deal that was.

So overall, I think DL was lucky with how Hayward turned out but did fantastic work addressing Hill and Hood.

"To screw the pooch", I learn new expressions every day here..
Yeah, occasionally us old timers can make a contribution to civil dialogue.

But some expressions don't age very well. My dad use to say "pulled a boner" when he meant "made a mistake" (I remember hearing William Holden use that expression in a 1950's movie). Well I "pulled a boner" when I used that expression in my high school chemistry class back in '71 -- it took weeks to live that one down.

Yep, boner used to mean stupid error. Wonder when I finally figured out the new meaning?

And screw the pooch is an awful term that should be unlearned by everyone.

Regarding Favors, I think Utah and he could work something out. The market isn't favorable to Derrick right now and, honestly, I'm not seeing any huge players what we can realistically sign that get my motor running. That said, I'm not entirely sure he's our answer at four, but he does so much otherwise and I don't want to lose that if it can be helped. 2019 looks like a better bet for a FA splash for the team. So if Derrick were amenable to it, I'm starting to think that Utah should ink him to a one year, 18m-20m deal with the FO's word they would try and find him a better situation (if he wanted it). Favors deserves to write his own ticket out of town if he wanted. That said, if he wants to stay long term, I'm sure we'll make it work to. He showed loyalty to us when we needed it. I'd like to do the same if possible.

The bold portion doesn't make any sense for the Jazz; we either want to keep Favors long term or we cut him loose now. He isn't worth $18 million a year to the Jazz, but I can see the Jazz offering him a 3-year deal at $12m-14m/year.

The one thing they shouldn't do is offer him any deal below what he is currently making: $12 million/year. I don't care what business you're in, cutting an employee's salary is like tattooing "screw you" on his forehead. If DL isn't willing to match or better Favor's current salary, then let him go to another team.

And screw the pooch is an awful term that should be unlearned by everyone.

You young kids are so fragile ;-)

It has military roots and was commonly used by test pilots and astronauts. Slight upgrade from its predecessor "****ing the dog" Read "The Right Stuff" by Tom Wolfe, who (coincidentally) died this week, although no canine interactions were involved in his death.

You young kids are so fragile ;-)

It has military roots and was commonly used by test pilots and astronauts. Slight upgrade from its predecessor "****ing the dog" Read "The Right Stuff" by Tom Wolfe, who (coincidentally) died this week, although no canine interactions were involved in his death.

You called me young. Yes, that's my takeaway.
:cool:

Not to denigrate the military and astronauts, but it is a horrible phrase. There are many, though, and I'm not on a crusade against ugly speech.

sub'd to this thread
o.png

You called me young. Yes, that's my takeaway.
:cool:

Not to denigrate the military and astronauts, but it is a horrible phrase. There are many, though, and I'm not on a crusade against ugly speech.

Yeah, I'm not falling on my sword and have no particular affinity for the expression. I never think about it literally which helps. But you must admit, it did get quite the reaction here.

:)