What's new

DL scores a top 5 on Whithey contract

zman1527

From BBallbreakdown.

"5. Jeff Withey, Utah Jazz

2015-16 salary: $947,276

Win shares: 1.5

Dollar per win share: $631,517.33

The Utah Jazz couldn’t have expected Jeff Withey to play anything more than spot minutes for them when they signed him in late August, as Derrick Favors and Rudy Gobert figured to soak up a majority of their frontcourt minutes. When both Favors and Gobert went down for extended time, however—Favors with back spasms that have caused him to miss Utah’s past 10 games and Gobert with a Grade 2 MCL sprain that cost him 18 appearances—the Jazz had little choice but to turn to Withey as their fill-in starting center.

Despite coming into the 2015-16 campaign with just four starts to his name over his first two seasons, Withey shockingly held his own while filling in for the Gobert-Favors pairing. Over his eight starts in that stretch, he averaged 9.8 points on 51.8 percent shooting, 7.9 rebounds, 2.5 blocks, 1.3 steals and 1.0 assists in 26.7 minutes a night, helping Utah steal three victories over that stretch. Though his average plus/minus in those eight games was a minus-2.1, a minus-23 outing against the San Antonio Spurs badly skewed those figures.

https://bballbreakdown.com/2016/01/12/ranking-nbas-best-value-contracts-2015-16/

Blocks per 36:
withey, 3.1
Gobert, 2.7
favors, 1.5

Rebounds:
withey, 9.5
Gobert, 11.2
Favors, 9.6

Gobert, 11.1
favors, 18.1

We are deep at the center postition. Too bad withey cant get more time on the court.

I hope towards end of season we rest Gobert alittle more and Favors, and give Withey a stable 15mins- it will do wonders for them in the playoffs (like Pop does in SA rests Duncan, Parker before big games/finals).

Withey was an absolute Steal, DL picked p a real bargain here making us deeper at center than I can remember for a long time..

I genuinely wonder what Withey's current trade value is..

With his contract being what it is, the Jazz can trade him this offseason to pretty much any team they want to. IF they plan to trade him to maximize his value, I'd hope that they'd use him to move up into the lottery. Jazz could potentially come away with a pretty good player even if they finish the season strong and make the playoffs. That's what I'd be looking at TBH.

I genuinely wonder what Withey's current trade value is..

Boston currently has the 3rd, 19th and 22nd picks. I think DL could get that 22 for him, maybe the 19th. Boston is going to need some interior defense if they want to make any noise in the playoffs. Getting Wade Baldwin or Zimmerman at 19 could be a big steal.

Like it even matters. You will be bounced first round in 4 games by the Warriors or the Spurs...

I hope towards end of season we rest Gobert alittle more and Favors, and give Withey a stable 15mins- it will do wonders for them in the playoffs (like Pop does in SA rests Duncan, Parker before big games/finals).

Withey was an absolute Steal, DL picked p a real bargain here making us deeper at center than I can remember for a long time..

Quin doesn't even play Withey (6 straight DNP's).
Jeff had no value in the summer and has little now in this age of fleet, mobile teams. Perhaps if the Jazz make a deal and they need one throw-in player, a team might choose Withey over Pleiss or Johnson if they're a bit thin at the 5. He's worth no more than a 2nd-rounder. Seriously, it's AMAZING how some overvalue scrubs.

I think mods ought to ban this poster because he intentionally tries to antagonize everyone here -- he is the classic definition of a troll. Please mods get him out of here.
Trolling is clearly not against the rules though

I really like Withey and am not quite sure why he doesnt get 10 minutes a night. He seems to be a really solid backup Center capable of starting for a short period of time when injuries occur.