What's new

DL's Approach

karl malone

It may be too soon to logically discuss the best approach moving forward, but I think it's important to consider. I expect the FO to build around Gobert & count on internal development, bargain FA's/acquisitions, defense/intensity. But do people believe this is a realistic potential path to a championship?

I assume we do, but the key question is whether we should re-build around Gobert or hit the reset button. I assume this will be an unpopular suggestion but do we have the luxury to count on at least 1 of Exum/Mitchell/Hood to breakout + the assets/ability to attract talent to eventually acquire that 3rd piece to go with Gobert + 1 of the above mentioned? And is that even enough to truly contend?

IMO Gobert is one of the most impactful players in the NBA & an elite young building block. I believe he is such a rare talent that any roster he is on (assuming he has a reasonable supporting cast) will always have a shot at a title when he is at 100%.

So I see arguments for both sides. But that being said, due the combination of his elite trade value & our current lack of high-end assets/potential impact FA targets, I think it's at least worth consideration.

Taking emotion out of it as much as possible, which is understandably likely very little, I think our situation could justify swinging for the fences with a Gobert for Tatum or Brown/Zizic/BKN + LAL/SAC 1st's type trade (I could see BOS viewing Gobert as the missing piece + vastly overpaying). That potential haul coupled with the talent we retain + assets acquired from moving non-core players could potentially give us more long-term upside/flexibility.

As painful as it would be (BOS nonetheless), I think that may be our best shot at getting back on the road to eventually truly contending & hopefully making the best of an extremely difficult situation. Looking at it as logically as possible, what do you think is the right approach moving forward? Personally, as of right now, I would likely lean towards a full rebuild if Gobert can be moved for multiple elite assets. I know this is probably a pointless discussion as it would completely go against the tendency of this organization but I'm interested in what everyone thinks.

We need to build around Gobert, Hood, Rubio, Exum and Mitchell. We need to shed every single tradeable piece that can get us an asset to put with them. We simply have to have more at SF/PF.

I know y'all are tired of the Laker or other scenarios. But we have the core that doesn't include Favors, JoeJ, and Diaw. Use those expirings to get that SF or PF asset we have to have for the future. Take a bad contract. We have the money. We are cheap and we have space under the cap and luxury.

Adding David Lee, Mbah a Moute, or other mediocre wings do nothing for us long term.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

You 100% build around Rudy. He's a top 10 player in the league, still improving, and is under contract for 4 more seasons. He's a slam dunk.

We need to build around Gobert, Hood, Rubio, Exum and Mitchell. We need to shed every single tradeable piece that can get us an asset to put with them. We simply have to have more at SF/PF.

I know y'all are tired of the Laker or other scenarios. But we have the core that doesn't include Favors, JoeJ, and Diaw. Use those expirings to get that SF or PF asset we have to have for the future. Take a bad contract. We have the money. We are cheap and we have space under the cap and luxury.

Adding David Lee, Mbah a Moute, or other mediocre wings do nothing for us long term.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Totally should trade Exum tather tjan build around him. Too bad he ain't tradeable.

You keep Rudy. He's not only a great player but I believe he's going to help successfully recruit free agents in the future (the only exception to this would be any players who still have crushes on their college coach).

A bird in the hand, I get it. I just question whether we're capable of adding enough talent around him to legitimately contend without relying on everything breaking our way. Gobert isn't the type of talent you trade so I understand the thinking & don't completely disagree. I just think we're in a situation with little to no room for error if we are going to eventually contend.

In a couple of years after we've given it some time to see if we think we can make a push I could understand it but I don't think you do at the very beginning of finding out what he can be at his age.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

IMO Gobert is one of the most impactful players in the NBA & an elite young building block. I believe he is such a rare talent that any roster he is on (assuming he has a reasonable supporting cast) will always have a shot at a title when he is at 100%.

Ask yourself this question. If you had to choose one player to build a team around right now, would you choose Gobert or Haywood?

It's Gobert by a kilometer.

If you're sold on Mitchell (obviously way too early but I do believe in him-to what extent tbd) + Gobert's ability to eventually recruit that 3rd piece &/or DL magic, then I understand the logic. Personaly, I'm hopeful but not sold on Exum or Hood (& weary of looming contracts). And IMO a single player (or even 2), regardless of talent, won't be able to win a title alone in this current NBA for the foreseeable future.

I also think if we were to trade Gobert it would hurt long term. If we don't keep a guy like that around then who would we keep?

I think at that point we would no longer be taken seriously as a franchise if we traded him right now

Ask yourself this question. If you had to choose one player to build a team around right now, would you choose Gobert or Haywood?

It's Gobert by a kilometer.

Absolutely. This about the competitive state of the league & our lack of high-end assets beyond Gobert, not his talent. He has the potential to be a top 5 player IMO. I just don't see how we get another Rudy caliber player or contend without doing so.

I also think if we were to trade Gobert it would hurt long term. If we don't keep a guy like that around then who would we keep?

I think at that point we would no longer be taken seriously as a franchise if we traded him right now

True we would be going PHI mode but I think we're the type of franchise that needs to force it's hand (similar to what PHI has done, as painful as it was-I believe DL would be quicker/more efficient) & I wouldn't bet on Gobert alone being enough to do so. Though he truly is a special talent so there is an outside chance but not a good one IMO.

Idgaf about anything said in this thread.

A. Rudy is phenomenal
B. If we traded him I might actually just give up being a fan. Not only is he an awesome player, but he is probably the most likeable dude/jazz player of all time.
Literally every jazz fan loves him.

Can't trade him. Not possible. He is worth more to us than to any other team.

A bird in the hand, I get it. I just question whether we're capable of adding enough talent around him to legitimately contend without relying on everything breaking our way. Gobert isn't the type of talent you trade so I understand the thinking & don't completely disagree. I just think we're in a situation with little to no room for error if we are going to eventually contend.

I think the issue is that you don't want to end up being like the Florida Marlins that have always traded players at their peak value to gamble on younger cheaper talent. At some point they build up that cheap talent and trade them off too. You can lose a fan base doing this. Good luck finding a Marlins fan these days.

I just don't understand the logic in trading Rudy to pick up a couple pieces that (just throwing out a guess) have about a 20% chance of being 70% of the player Rudy is. Maybe there's a 5% chance that those moves make us better in the future, and about a 95% chance they make us worse now and then. Hyperbole, but probably not by much. If you'll recall, we spent a year tanking for Wiggins/Jabari and got Exum. That's a lot of time to invest in something that, at the drop of a hat or fall of the ping pong balls, can turn to hot trash.

Ehhh, just try to win with the team we got. Sign some under the radar young guys to partially guaranteed multi year deals and get a backup center on a 1 year contract. We what the team has post-Hayward. Try to extend Hood asap.

I think the issue is that you don't want to end up being like the Florida Marlins that have always traded players at their peak value to gamble on younger cheaper talent. At some point they build up that cheap talent and trade them off too. You can lose a fan base doing this. Good luck finding a Marlins fan these days.

Good point